Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

"great memories of good times"

yup,

no need to go around moping. i have the good memories and we had two beautiful children.

she even insisted i hook up the dynaquad after a move. it adds just the right amount of fullness and subtle ambience to the music.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey man, cut me some slack. I was born in '77.
    I did not realize you were around my age. I was born in 74 so I am just a wee bit older but it is nice to see someone with like interests that is around my age. We both know about the new theater stuff but our passion resides in the world of simple two channel music bliss weather it be a old golden tube amp powering some vintage Sound Dynamics or My 17 year old Adcom 545 Mk2 powering some 16 year old highly modified Paradigm Monitor 7's but that is just two people's system with a slightly different approach but with the same target in mind.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    OK fellas, did really well today...

Here's a couple of winners, first Marvin Gaye 3 LP anthology complete with booklet, original Motown:

Second, speeches from WWII, Nazi style. Believe me, I'm not a Nazi...

Looks like a great haul, Chubbs. You are a record-show master. I have many of those, and want most of the others. I'll pass on the Fuhrer's greatest hits, though.

Following up with a conversation we had in pm one day, I'd be interested in what you think of the sound quality of Ghost In The Machine. I complimented the quality of the vinyl produced by The Police and I think you weren't impressed by Regatta de Blanc.

Haven't spun The Police yet. The Marsalis was dissapointing, I should have looked closer. He's playing classical songs, quite boring. The Louis Armstrong is really noisy also. As for the Nazi LP, it gets filed with my other odds and ends such as my disco instructional, complete with book and my Jimmy Swaggart.

The Enya sounds great. The Sade and Robbie Robertson are also super clean and quiet.

The noisy Louis Armstrong record could be a mono. If that's the case, it might sound better in a system that can be switched to mono. It also might benefit from being played with a larger stylus. I use a 1.0 mil conical stylus (Ortofon Pro S) on my mono records.

You must be right. There's nothing on the cover or album to suggest it's stereo. I pulled it out of a dollar bin, I overlooked it during the frenzy of elbowing people out of the way and stuffing my bag full.

God damn I have 23 carts and stylii right now, I can't imagine another...

BTW, the Benson count is now up to 12 and I still have to get White Rabbit. I am going to start grabbing some Freddie Hubbard. He's a Benson CTI label mate, excellent trumpeter. Check the box for a good Hubbard album, I know you love trumpet.

Collectable originals...

...a buck each. Excuse the photography.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc02864.jpg  

Does that say "torch time"? I bet I'd be diggin' that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Does that say "torch time"? I bet I'd be diggin' that one.
    Yes man, it's Torch Time by The Ink Spots. I know, the photo is a waste. Every vocal recording I buy I think of whether you would like it or not.

"Will it meet his standards?"

"Will this finally be the LP that makes him think I'm cool?"

I'm actually hoping to get some money for it. Might go to the local shop with an armful for trade. Depends what he's got.
    [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Yes man, it's Torch Time by The Ink Spots. I know, the photo is a waste. Every vocal recording I buy I think of whether you would like it or not.

"Will it meet his standards?"

"Will this finally be the LP that makes him think I'm cool?"

I'm actually hoping to get some money for it. Might go to the local shop with an armful for trade. Depends what he's got. BTW, I have an excellent CD of Peter Malick f. Norah Jones. You want a copy?
    Now you know I thought you were cool a long time ago. I have the Peter Malick CD, but thanks for asking.

me TOO !

well, music in all forms but vinyl is a strong addiction too. yesterday i went to record surplus in west LA and scored nicely:

first i saw rob wasserman's "solo" for $5 but passed it by but then there way 'duets' which i have on CD for 3 so i backtracked to the solo and snagged that too. the duets is a promo, BONUS !

ialready had in hand maria muldaur 'there is a love' for 3 (i pretty much buy everything by her, the personnel lists are always awesome). the i found the paul desmond quartet featuring jiim hall, percy heath, and connie kay 'east of the sun'.

solo\
    wassserman
    duets/

desmond-east of the sun

muldaur-there is a love

not bad for $14 being that they are all in excellent shape.

plus a cd of mickey hart-global drum project-$8. i LOVE record surplus.

oh i forgot to add that i already have the cd trios by rob and it is always cheeeep (dont know why) but i doubt i will ever find vinyl of that title. but you never know.
    ...regards...tr

Let's see some pics Thomas. C'mon, I know you have it in ya!

Little pick up today. Linda Rondstadt's first band...

Chubbs...it looks almost like you've been raiding my collection. Here's my score for today...

Since only a couple of us even look at this thread, I'm making my pictures large.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by anijesupenn
    Wow thats seems really interesting. Thanks for sharing ...
    You're like Whac-a-mole, huh?

I paid a dollar each for these. On some of them, I overpaid. I was feeling reckless. I was torn between these six and just putting them all back in favor of a June Christy CD priced at $5.98. I guess Robbie carried the day.

Looks good. Any copy I've had of that Robertson S/T has sounded great, worth $6 if it's in decent shape.

yeah, robbie

noob,

i first got that on cd and was quite taken. about a year later i came across the LP and once again was pleased and amazed at how much better it sounds than an already good sounding CD. some very good rock and roll there too.

theres a video of 'somewhere down that crazy river' that is quite different from what i visualized in my head. of course, my visualization is better than their video.

the captain and me is a pretty good demo album. the cut 'china grove' was one i used to demo janszen 412hp loudspeakers to the salesmen in a shop i frequented in the late 70s. after adjusting the ES tweets to normal from full blast, one of the sales guys realized he had bought the wrong speakers (RTRs instead of the janszens). the janszens were XLNT ! the equivalent of AR3a woofers coupled with a four panel array of the ES tweets. it was the kick drum/bass guitar duel that was the defining factor., coupled with the accompanying electric guitar work.
    ...regards...tr

Hey Tommy check your email.

Good score noob - especially at a buck a piece! "The Captain and Me" would have been worth $5 for me if it were in good shape.
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

Sickness is when you start buying rare pressings in the £150-300 range on a regular basis and spare copies

My bank manager hates me

I thought at first The Captain and Me was going to be the one failure of the bunch...but it's finally clean. It would have been mildly frustrating if it hadn't come clean, since this one was to replace one I threw out because I couldn't get it clean.

The Quarterflash record has groove damage across the middle of the 3rd track, but at least whoever damaged the record chose the weakest song on the record to do it.

I might once again be guilty of buying a record for the cover, since I already have that Bonnie Raitt album on CD. CDs are just so dang small.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information