Thread: gone Maestro

Suspended

gone Maestro

Yeah, I finally replaced the 10x5 and went with the Maestro. As a side note the 10x5 has taken a significant price increase. I'll skip all that finally led me to deciding on the Maestro and say so far I think it ended up well. I shouldn't say much as I may have all of 4 hours on it so far but.... In my opinion the Maestro is not colored but tonally textured with natural timbre. Just what I was looking for. The Maestro provides plenty of detail, I'm hearing things on Lp's I haven't noticed before, as I should, this is the best cart I've owned so far. It's able to sort out complex music like Billy Cobham's, Power Play LP. The Maestro is quick but in more of an agile way, more like a boxer opposed to a fighter. The Maestro is impressively dynamic. And I really enjoy how tuneful it is, all the instruments have great rhythm. I get good depth and width of soundstage, if I had to criticize, at this point the sound seems a bit dry but if that never changes I would still be happy with the Maestro.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Yeah, I finally replaced the 10x5 and went with the Maestro. As a side note the 10x5 has taken a significant price increase. I'll skip all that finally led me to deciding on the Maestro and say so far I think it ended up well. I shouldn't say much as I may have all of 4 hours on it so far but.... In my opinion the Maestro is not colored but tonally textured with natural timbre. Just what I was looking for. The Maestro provides plenty of detail, I'm hearing things on Lp's I haven't noticed before, as I should, this is the best cart I've owned so far. It's able to sort out complex music like Billy Cobham's, Power Play LP. The Maestro is quick but in more of an agile way, more like a boxer opposed to a fighter. The Maestro is impressively dynamic. And I really enjoy how tuneful it is, all the instruments have great rhythm. I get good depth and width of soundstage, if I had to criticize, at this point the sound seems a bit dry but if that never changes I would still be happy with the Maestro.
    Congrats on the new cartridge. Is this a MM cart and did you need to make adjustments to the phono preamp?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Congrats on the cartridge. Give it about 30 hours of break in to sound its best.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I was at Peabodys house Saturday night and had a great listen as well. Nice cart! But Peabody aint heard it at its best yet! Wait till it opens up! Will be a great addition!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i believe the maestro is MM and have heard reports that it rivals MCs. i would love to hear one in a familiar system. i just returned to my FR1mk3 mc cart after a long stint with my grace f9e and atML150. it's good to be back to mc land.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended
    Correct, the Maestro is the top of the MM line for Clearaudio. It is quick and sounds good. I feel it has just enough shading to provide a natural sound.

Forum Regular
    I googled a review of this and saw the body is made of either ebony or satine. Do you know what the differences are between these two woods. BTW why is wood a preferred material for many high end cartridges?

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i am not sure what satine is but wood is used for cartridges because of its excellent characteristic of damping. at micro dimensions found in LP grooves, vibration reduction is key.

https://www.google.com/search?q=satt...tine+wood+pics
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular

10x5 thoghts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Do you have any opiniond on how the 10x5 would compare to my current cart - Grado Prestige Gold?

Suspended
    I think the 10x5 would be quicker with a more neutral sound compared to the Grado, more definition.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congrats on the new cartridge. I would like to hear the Maestro. I have read great things about that cartridge, Enjoy!
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I had not checked the price on a Dynavector 10x5 but at NeedleDoctor $640. The Audio Technica ATf7 is $379 and $249 at LP Gear. I think I will stay with the AT F7 for now.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Wow, the 10x5 has really increased in price. The Dynavectors were having a problem keeping up with demand on certain models I wonder if that's part of it.

I remember my Dynavector 10x2 sold for a little over $100 way back when.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I remember my Dynavector 10x2 sold for a little over $100 way back when.
    Well the price is $650 now. However, I found one gently used from a reputable person on Audiogon for $300, so I decided to give one a try. Lookng forward to comparing to my current cart, a Grado Prestige Gold.
    Marantz PM 11S3 Integrated Amp
    Marantz SA 8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall MMF 9.1 turntable
    Focal Chorus 836V speakers
    Focal Chorus SW 800v subwoofer
    Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables
    AZ WOW interconnects
    AZ El Nino power cables
    VPI Turntable interconnect
    Sennheiser HD-700 headphones

Suspended
    Don't forget to come back and let us know your impressions of the 10x5.

Thread Information