Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Fun New Game for Audiophiles

Hey all. This game is called.... "SWITCH YOUR GEAR AROUND!!!!"

Tonight, feeling inspired by thekid and dak, I pulled out my Kenwood stuff. A fully functional KA-6004 and Basic C1. I hooked up a Yamaha CDX-510 to the 6004 and a pair of Paradigm Model 7se.

It didn't sound too bad I suppose, but the preamp basically sucks. The bass is particularily weak and mushy. The upper mids and some of the highs are a lilttle much. I decided I would hook my EICO HF 85 into the 6004, using only it's power. I then hooked up the Basic C1 into my main system.

Talk about fun! I am starting to believe that hybrid really is the way to go. The EICO sounded fantastic through the Kenwood's 40 wpc. The bass filled out and became wonderfully dynamic. Mids and highs smoothed out and there was an all around fullness to the sound.

As for the Basic C1, it was quite refreshing. Really clear and open sounding, a nice change.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it's easy to get caught up with your gear. I am leary about swapping out too much stuff from my main system, since it contains the best pieces. It was actually my wife who pushed me to do it, and I'm glad I have. I think I'll leave things this way for a week or so.

I will put the KA-6004 / EICO combo on my Sound Dynamics and see how my DAC sounds through this.

Well thanks for reading. Any of you guys thinking about some changes with your existing gear? I know noob had some stuff in mind...

Chicago IL
    I love switching around my gears. I always try how everything sounds with the other components and etc and it is fun, at least I enjoy it. The bad thing is that when I am switching around it is very likely to burn something.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    You know me when am I not thinking about moving around my stuff.....
    Tomorrow I am picking up a Adcom GFP-555 preamp and a Dynaco ST-80 is on its way as well so I will be trying them out in various combo's. As I and others have found out that different sources just go better with different speakers. I think you do have to mix things up among what you have to see if you really have the best match. However I have several systems and a garage that attest to what can happen if you have too much of a "wandering ear".......

Not to hijack your thre PC but......
    Daks-did you ever pick up those TF-500's

Suspended
    I regularly swap out my Stratos and Counterpoint as well as my Danes and Clearfields.

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Daks-did you ever pick up those TF-500's
    I was planning but this guy lives like 70 miles away and that is stopping me. It is too far for me to drive and lately the people are taking vacations and I have to work more than the normal so I have not much time for deals and etc, I still check craigslist but I don't buy.

Last night I saw someone selling Marantz 2238 for $45 but by the time I saw that and I called it was gone already!

There is a battle going on. The Basic C1 has challenged the EICO. I can't believe I am going to say it, but the Basic C1 is a much more open and fun sound. This will be a tough one to sort out.

Chicago IL
    Poppa I think we should get the C2 to see how it will sound. I keep looking for one but can't find it on a good price

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Poppa I think we should get the C2 to see how it will sound. I keep looking for one but can't find it on a good price
    Sounds good to me. Yamaha made some pretty hot preamps too.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Love mine.....

Pops I will sell you another C1 and you can "stack them" to make a C2.....

Sorry guys could not resist.....

Chicago IL
    Do you know anything about the Kenwood L-07C preamplifier? I saw it one time on ebay and it was almost 300 bucks! It could be better than the C2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I played the Audiophile Game by switching out the MA RS6's and replaced them with the Mo Fi OML1's. The OML1's have such a solid and well braced cabinet that it is nice hearing music without the cabinet playing along. I also had been missing the imaging and depth to the soundstage the OML1's provide. I even switched to the Ultralink stranded cables since the Alphacore MI1 cables were sounding a little dry. Yes this is a fun game. Thanks Pchub for the idea.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I played the Audiophile Game by switching out the MA RS6's and replaced them with the Mo Fi OML1's. The OML1's have such a solid and well braced cabinet that it is nice hearing music without the cabinet playing along. I also had been missing the imaging and depth to the soundstage the OML1's provide. I even switched to the Ultralink stranded cables since the Alphacore MI1 cables were sounding a little dry. Yes this is a fun game. Thanks Pchub for the idea.

Another Ultralink fan!?! John I use the Challenger 2 Series, 12 awg. I get a GREAT price locally if you ever want some. These guys have 100 foot rolls.

Have you tried bi wiring with both sets of cables together John-boy? I have not heard any Mo-Fi speakers. I wonder how long of a drive it would be for me to get to you pad. You are in central Ohio? Probably about 5 hours...

Glad you're having fun playing the game buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Another Ultralink fan!?! John I use the Challenger 2 Series, 12 awg. I get a GREAT price locally if you ever want some. These guys have 100 foot rolls.

Have you tried bi wiring with both sets of cables together John-boy? I have not heard any Mo-Fi speakers. I wonder how long of a drive it would be for me to get to you pad. You are in central Ohio? Probably about 5 hours...

Glad you're having fun playing the game buddy.

The roommate moved out and now I have a guest bedroom with a lockable door. I am thinking about trying the RS6's with the Class D Onkyo A-9555 in the spare bedroom.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The roommate moved out and now I have a guest bedroom with a lockable door. I am thinking about trying the RS6's with the Class D Onkyo A-9555 in the spare bedroom.
    Here we go....

No really it will be nice for you to have an area in which you can experiment a bit. This way you can keep the reference system tight. I never figured you for an Onkyo man. John you really need to add some tubes...

Oh JOhn, I should add a couple of things. Diud you see my new Bozak pre? The phono is awesome. I am going to upgrade my Eico, and try to best it. In the meantime, I have the Eico buffering my CDP. What a gorgeous sound, totally makes digital listenable.

What do you mean make digital listenable? You aint heard a Musical Fidelity CDP, or a good Marantz have you?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    What do you mean make digital listenable? You aint heard a Musical Fidelity CDP, or a good Marantz have you?
    Well Mr.Frenchie, yes I have heard many high end units. Shanling, Marantz, Sonic Frontiers and on and on. I cannot justify that kind of scrill. JRA is holding a 8001 for me and I will get it eventually.

There is much about digital I don't care for, but I would rather not get into it. I listen to CDs almost daily, so I am not a complete luddite.

At the AKFest I heard a Marantz amp/SACD combo that brought me to my knees. However, the equivelant analog set up is even more engaging. To each his own buddy...

Well Mr.Frenchie, yes I have heard many high end units. Shanling, Marantz, Sonic Frontiers and on and on. I cannot justify that kind of scrill. JRA is holding a 8001 for me and I will get it eventually.

There is much about digital I don't care for, but I would rather not get into it. I listen to CDs almost daily, so I am not a complete luddite.

At the AKFest I heard a Marantz amp/SACD combo that brought me to my knees. However, the equivelant analog set up is even more engaging. To each his own buddy...
    Hope I didn't rub you wrong PoppaC. Was not implying you are a luddite.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hope I didn't rub you wrong PoppaC. Was not implying you are a luddite.
    No, no not at all man. Listen you say what you want to me, never offended. I just hate to open up a can of digital v analog. Most unproductive discussion in audio.

If you come to Ohio maybe we can encourage JRA to cross the river. I would love some ears on my stereo to tell me if I am headed in the right direction. Sounds good to me but I have listened to it for a while and may need a new perspective. Oh and Sticks is not too far away.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

ARFest...at John's?

Hey all. This game is called.... "SWITCH YOUR GEAR AROUND!!!!"
    I wish it were easier to do. Most of the components in my three systems are placed in areas that are not particularly easy to move around. Sometime, I'd like to hear the Threshold run the front channels of my HT.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I wish it were easier to do. Most of the components in my three systems are placed in areas that are not particularly easy to move around. Sometime, I'd like to hear the Threshold run the front channels of my HT.

rw
    How can you rest not being certain that you have the best combinations in use? Use a free day and spend the energy Ralph, could be a revelation. Right now I know how everything sounds together, and which is best served with each other.

How can you rest not being certain that you have the best combinations in use?
    That's not too difficult given that the vintage system is largely hand-me-downs from the main system. When my stats were first shipped, some idiot from the trucking company ran the fork lift directly through - not under - the crates causing damage necessitating return. During that time, I moved the Advents to the main system. While the VTL monos have far more power than the Threshold, they are a poor match to drive the Advents. Tube amps must be matched with speakers that are compatible. The other amp is an HT receiver, so regardless of its relative performance, it needs to stay in that system.

rw

I feel like spending a free day and just putting stuff all over the place in my setup so it looks really cluttered and messy, then snap a few photos of it and make it part of my signature so that every time people see my posts, they worship at my setup.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 08-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information