nightflier

Fine tuning the MMF-7

I've been using the MMF-7 for a month now using the settings that the appallingly bad manual described for the Goldring cartridge. But I now have two other cartridges I want to try and will need to adjust things like tracking force, vta, angles, azimuth, etc. (not to mention playing with dip switches in my preamp).

I was wondering if there are any resources (paper or online) for fine tuning this turntable. I have a weight gauge, protractor, and other gadgets, but I need to know more about the adjustments in the MMF-7's tonearm. Since this is a fairly common table, I was hoping there might be a webpage out there about it.

Forum Regular
    NF, I picked up the MMF-7 last year and have not come across a website dedicated to it. However, the arm is a Project-9. Project's website has more info than the MMF manual. (looks like I deleted my bookmark)

If you've got the protractor and VTF gauge you should be set. VTA is done by ear. Just jump in and start tweaking. Be careful not to throw off the azimuth when re-tightening the VTA screws. The base has some wiggle room when the screws are backed out.

Did you pick it up at a local dealer or online? If at a dealer they may do a set up for you.

Happy tweakin'!

Art

nightflier
    Arturo,

I picked it up at AA. Thanks for letting me know that it's a Pro-ject 9 tonearm. I found this on their website:

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/...l/manual_9.pdf

It has all the info I need. If I have the time, I'll write about my experience fine-tuning this turntable. There really should be a place online where people can look up this info. Music Hall's website is a real dissappointment, without a useful tech support or document download section. Maybe reviewers should include a little blurb about online resources when they review equipment. It sure makes me think twice about buying anything else from Music Hall.

P.S. I got an email from Roy Hall and this is what he said when I asked him the same question:

"we have no further information re. the turntable.
    If you have a specific question, please call me."

He included his number, but I was a little surprised by this response. At the very least he could have told me that it was a Pro-ject 9 tonearm. Roy is supposed to be a nice guy, so maybe he was having a bad day.

Thread Information