AR Newbie Registered Member

Entry-level phono pre-amp

I'm thinking of picking up an old Technics TT to hook up to my Marantz receiver and Paradigm speakers. So I was looking for suggestions for a pre-amp, something that will match the level of my current setup. I'm realistic in knowing that I won't reap the benefits of a $500 pre-amp. Are the $30-$50 models OK? I would like to just dip my feet into the LP world and will worry about diving in deeper at a later time.

Thanks.
    Tim

I've owned one of these. http://www.audioreplay.net/TC750eb.html Think it's a bargain at that price. Have seen the exact same unit with different brand names on it (Rec-O-Kut is one I remember) for around $80.00. Sounded 90% as good as the Rotel RQ-970BX I have now. Maybe just a little audible hum if you turn the volume WAY up with nothing playing. Not quite as smooth, but no ear bleeds either. One of the very few phono stages under $50.00 I'd recommend. Most in that price range are noisy and / or have inaccurate frequency response. Beware of a phono stage that doesn't have the specs listed for RIAA accuracy. (a phono stage also applies EQ to match the RIAA curve) This one is + - .5db which is equal to some more expensive phono stages.

I'm very, very seriously considering selling the Rotel and trying one of those Bottlehead Seduction tubed phono stage kits. ($300.00) The Rotel cost me $200.00 a few years ago. I'd take $100.00 for it. More than you're looking to spend, but sounds really nice (a little on the warm side), runs dead quiet and can even be used with a moving coil cartridge. So if getting a great deal on something a little nicer might interest you, drop me a line. Hard to find good used gear at 50% off the new price these days. But it just seems fair to me. Never seem to have problems selling my old gear when it's time to upgrade!!!

Roy
    royphil345@yahoo.com
    Last edited by royphil345; 06-26-2005 at 07:02 AM.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

cheeeep and pehaps good

i dont acutally have hands on experience with these but it seems that for the bux, the 760 is i good bet. had i no phono pres (i have a few) in my collection, i would opt for one of these or the 750 with no mc capability for a little less.

http://www.audioreplay.net/indexg.html
    ...regards...tr

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thank you very much guys for the recommendations. The TC-750/760 looks like just the right solution for me.

Roy, I really appreciate the offer on the Rotel. I have no doubt that it's a great deal, but for now I think I'll try to keep my budget in check until I know for sure I'll get good use out of this stuff.

Thanks again.
    Tim

I understand that. Had a TC-750 myself and really liked it. Only reason I really upgraded is that the price was low and I wasn't really sure if I could be getting much better performance from something else. Just didn't trust it. Like I said, turned out the Rotel has a dead-quiet background and slightly warmer character, but there wasn't as big a difference in sound as I expected. Actually, with the warmer Shure cartridge I'm using now, I sometimes wonder how the TC-750 would have sounded if I held onto it.

If I decide to try the Bottlehead, I should be able to get at least $100.00 for the Rotel on eBay. Just thought since you were thinking about buying a phono stage and I was thinking of selling one...

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by themayor
    I'm thinking of picking up an old Technics TT to hook up to my Marantz receiver and Paradigm speakers. So I was looking for suggestions for a pre-amp, something that will match the level of my current setup. I'm realistic in knowing that I won't reap the benefits of a $500 pre-amp. Are the $30-$50 models OK? I would like to just dip my feet into the LP world and will worry about diving in deeper at a later time.

Thanks.
    Tim
    Before I could afford my current Phono-pre, I purchased a B-tech BT926 which is a moving magnet phone preamp. It was surprisingly pleasant and compared well against a well regarded PhonoPre I used to own--The NAD PP-1

$70 at the Needledoctor

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.2254/.f

Thread Information