newbie phono question

I purchased a Parasound TTb700 years ago on ebay. The guy said the phono cartridge was new. Well, after a few years i finally set this up in my HT. My old albums have issues...figured it was the 20 years of dust/scratches/etc....so i purchased a new Norah Jones album to test it.

Now I think the problem is the needle looks weak and is allowing the cartridge to hit the vinyl and causing it to skip, etc.

What can i do? Do i just need to replace the phono cartridge ? If so, what are some bang for the buck ones to pursue? I rarely listen to them, but maybe with a good phono cartridge I'll get back into it.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If the cartridge is hitting the vinyl you either have the tracking force set too high or the suspension is failing. What cartridge is mounted and what does the stylus force dial say? A picture of the cartridge and turntable will help. What is the brand of cartridge? A little adjustment is all it may need.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

boy, i am a newbie....i'm guessing the tracking force setting is the dial next to the arm. There are 3 white dots against a black background and i'm in the center setting. Not sure what that means...There is a small white dot...a larger white dot and a white dot with black center. Does that help?

I will adjust them when time allows.

I'll try for pics tomorrow, but the cartidge is orange and the seller said he added it so it's not original.

Actually...that sounds like anti-skating force. The tracking force is usually set by turning a counterweight on the back end of the tonearm.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Actually...that sounds like anti-skating force. The tracking force is usually set by turning a counterweight on the back end of the tonearm.

i found the problem....i have no counterweight! Guess the guy packed it separately or not at all. This explains my problem. Now to find one locally. Thanks everyone. Learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    i found the problem....i have no counterweight! Guess the guy packed it separately or not at all. This explains my problem. Now to find one locally. Thanks everyone. Learn something new everyday.
    Whoa there- hold on. Before you destroy your TT, cartridge, and vinyl, try to get some manuals for your TT and cartridge and then read them. You can learn alot.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

If you still have the packing material check all the foam. The counterweight is usually in a cut-out so it does not harm the tonearm bearings during shipment.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I am unable to find an image of the table. If you can post one and the arm is based on a Rega RB 250 I have a spare counterweight you can have.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    hey, tarheel. I bought a new old stock Parasound cartridge on Ebay a few years ago, too. I think the seller was from Georgia. There was very little information about the cartridge online. Of course it came with the original box and instructions, but I wanted to know whether Parasound made the cart or sourced it from some other company. Couldn't find anything online, but I noticed that the cart looked exactly like some ADC models so I concluded that Parasound sourced the cart from ADC. Anyhow, it served well as a temporary cart while I decided on a modern high-output mc. I've made a few changes to my phono setup since I've used it so I may try it out this weekend.

I am unable to find an image of the table. If you can post one and the arm is based on a Rega RB 250 I have a spare counterweight you can have.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

What luck...i still have the pics from the ebay auction. You can just make out the counter weight on the rear. Must have missed it unpacking. Box is long gone.

I purchased it close to 7 years ago...maybe i'll get lucky and the one you have JM will work!
    Last edited by Tarheel_; 08-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.

here they are...not very large. I can get larger photos, but probably not this weekend as we have friends from out of town.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The turntable with the Pmount cartridge looks like a Technics sourced table. I think you could pick up a broken Technics for a few dollars for the counterweight.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Aging Smartass
    As I recall, and I may be incorrect on this, P-mount tonearms had fixed counterweights that weren't removable. I can't tell from the photos if that's the case here, but if I'm right and the cartridge is bottoming out on records, as stated already, it's likely the suspension of the cantilever that's failing. I'd suggest a new P-mount cartridge, and The Needle Doctor is likely the best place to buy one.

there is no counter weight....i think that is my problem here...

either way, i'm buying a new phono...i grew up a Technics lover so i'm starting there.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    As I recall, and I may be incorrect on this, P-mount tonearms had fixed counterweights that weren't removable. I can't tell from the photos if that's the case here, but if I'm right and the cartridge is bottoming out on records, as stated already, it's likely the suspension of the cantilever that's failing. I'd suggest a new P-mount cartridge, and The Needle Doctor is likely the best place to buy one.

Indeed, most P-Mount arms are set to a default of 1.25g, but that doesn't mean that there should not be any weight there. I have a BPC Marantz turntable with P-Mount arm, and it has a counterweight with 0 - 1.25 setting.

there is no counter weight....i think that is my problem here...

either way, i'm buying a new phono...i grew up a Technics lover so i'm starting there.
    Do you have your eye on one in particular?

Lucky strike

Thanks to the fine folks here I knew the counterweight was missing on my LP player. So, we hit a flea market this morning in Danville, VA. I came across a table with old equipment. There was an old Pioneer LP player which needed a needle. I saw the counterweight and for a grand price of $1, i took a chance.

Low and behold, the counterweight unscrewed off the Pioneer and twisted onto my Parasound. A perfect fit. Man, what a feeling.

My wife and kids spend the entire day in the basement doing stuff and listening to old LPs. I'd say 7-10 albums worth of time. Great to hear old music from my day (80s) and some of my older sisters stuff from the 70s.

I started with a new record from Norah Jones I purchased years ago, but could not listen to without the weight...it sounded wonderful. followed it up with some Prince, Van Halen, Rod Stewart, Donna Summer, Def Leopard, Rush, etc.
    Great day...thanks everyone!!!

Thread Information