Forum Regular

Question Complete Turntable Beginner- Looking to buy

Hi,
    I'm completely 100% new to turntables/ record players, but on a whim have decided to buy one, I love music and think a record player would be a new way for me to fall in love with it all over again.

I'm looking for something pretty darn cheap, used, because I am going to have to get some records as well. But I want the easiest to use, most reliable and best sound I can get for a low price. I don't want to have to fiddle around with it a lot, because I have no idea what I would be doing. Around $50 would be great (I'm sure a lot of you audiophiles are cringing... I'm sorry!!)

So anything you can tell me about turntables would be much appreciate, a good one to buy, what parts it should have... I don't even really know what to ask/ where to start.

Thanks!

I would search out an older Technics TT. These things are built like a tank and you can get them cheap from ebay etc.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, I'll start there- did you notice your quote goes with my username- weird huh?

I would suggest looking at JVC, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. too. Try a search like this one:

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/ite...lo=40&_udhi=50

You might want to look for a semi-auto turntable. Those will lift the needle off the record at the end. With older belt drive turntables, you might have to replace the belt. It's easy, though.

If you buy used, you might want to look for comments on the condition of the needle. Having to replace it would add to the cost of this investment. Here's one the seller says has a new needle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scott-Turntable_...3%3A1|294%3A50

I would also recommend a "new" needle/cartridge but this may not fit your budget. A couple of places to start for cartridges are "LP Gear" and "The Needle Doctor".

If your serious about this I have a Technics SL-210 (one broken hinge) lying around doing nuttin' I could send you free if you want to pick up the COD. It has an old AudioTechnica cartridge but no needle. Let me know.

BTW, we need more vinyl nuts around these parts.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    If your serious about this I have a Technics SL-210 (one broken hinge) lying around doing nuttin' I could send you free if you want to pick up the COD. It has an old AudioTechnica cartridge but no needle. Let me know.

BTW, we need more vinyl nuts around these parts.

Once again, I am new- can you tell me I guess what i would need to know about your technics SL-210 (in amateur lingo?) How much would a new needle for it be? Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by allthemusic
    Once again, I am new- can you tell me I guess what i would need to know about your technics SL-210 (in amateur lingo?) How much would a new needle for it be? Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!
    Not much too know. It's a semiautomatic TT. This means that you have to manually cue the needle but it will return to it's cradle at the end of the record automatically. Not sure what a needle would cost or even if the cartridge is any good. You should be able to grab a budget cartridge for around $50 tho. This would make for a great starter TT.

One word of caution, this world of vinyl can pull you in and next thing you know your spending more and more money, not just on a TT but upgrading the whole system. I know, it happened to me, Hell, what an I saying, it's still happening to me. LOL

Forum Regular
    Would this be the needle I would need?

One other thing I forgot about. You have to make sure that your receiver/amp has a phono input, otherwise you would need a phono preamp. This applies amplification to the low level signal from the TT to a level your receiver can use. It will also apply a equalization curve that's critical. When they cut a record they apply an equalization curve at the lower frequencies so they can keep the grooves as narrow as they are.

Would this be the needle I would need?
    Great price. That looks like the one that's on it. I have never used this cartridge so I can't comment on the quality.

Forum Regular
    you completely lost me... i have no experience in turntables just thought it might be fun to listen to some records. i have zero knowledge, zero equipment

you completely lost me... i have no experience in turntables just thought it might be fun to listen to some records. i have zero knowledge, zero equipment
    Were you looking for a "record player" with built in speaker and everything or are you looking to build a system???

Forum Regular
    to be completely honest i didn't exactly know there was a difference. i guess easiest would be record player with built in speaker
    sorry i feel like an idiot!!

to be completely honest i didn't exactly know there was a difference. i guess easiest would be record player with built in speaker
    sorry i feel like an idiot!!

Actually it's my bad. I reread your original post and you have said that you wanted a record player. Sorry, can't be much help there.

Cheers,

LDB

At the price range you suggest, I would suggest taking a look at thrift stores that sell donated items, like Goodwill and Salvation Army. They might have something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-STEREO-AM-F...3%3A1|294%3A50

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

that tt is probably ok

check your receiver for a phono input. if its there, great! otherwise you can get a cheeeeep bellari ss unit from samash.com and put that in an aux input:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegorySA-10001

i dont recommend a record player with a built in speaker. that will lead nowhere.

a cartridge for you might be this one:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...y_Code=LPGCART

one of the technics/pioneer/sony/jvc/dual TTs on audiogon (preferred sie) or ebay (more risky-to me) would be a great starter. avoid the plastic ones and linear plastic ones. and pmounts should be avoided if possible.

just one that has a standard detachable headshell for easy cartridge mounting and swapping.

if you live in a big city like LA, used records are SO accessible and affordable. what a bargain!
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information