Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Best Budget Turntable < $500.

I plan to eventually purchase a turntable and am wondering if it's possible to get a good quality turntable less than $500. I also would like to have everything included in that price, like tone arm, etc.

Also, I will be getting a tube amp within the next couple of months and was told it has a tube complement of: 4 6550's/KT88's, 2 12ax7's and 2
    12au7's. I was told it only has only one available line stage input and there is no phono stage. To be honest I'm not exactly sure what a phono stage is exactly. I am wondering what the best approach to take would be, as I would like to hook up my CD player and a turntable to this amp but there's only one input. Would I have to buy a phono stage and a line stage adapter that could allow more than one input? If anyone has any helpful information it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devuonoste
    I plan to eventually purchase a turntable and am wondering if it's possible to get a good quality turntable less than $500. I also would like to have everything included in that price, like tone arm, etc.

Also, I will be getting a tube amp within the next couple of months and was told it has a tube complement of: 4 6550's/KT88's, 2 12ax7's and 2
    12au7's. I was told it only has only one available line stage input and there is no phono stage. To be honest I'm not exactly sure what a phono stage is exactly. I am wondering what the best approach to take would be, as I would like to hook up my CD player and a turntable to this amp but there's only one input. Would I have to buy a phono stage and a line stage adapter that could allow more than one input? If anyone has any helpful information it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    There are several fantastic options under $500 which would include a cartridge also (needle).

You can begin by looking at the Pro-Ject Debut, Music Hall 2.1 or the Denon DP-300f. These are all fine tables. If you wanted to go used, you could step up in quality. There are great used tables available also.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...e-Multicolor_5

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP...=2&category=46

http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Ha...=2&category=46

You will need a pre-amp for your tube amp. This will allow you to connect several sources, control the tone and volume, and output to your amp. You will need one with a phono stage otherwise you would have to buy an external one.

What kind of budget would you be looking at for a preamp?

Tell us more about this amp. 12ax7's are preamp tubes.

Forum Regular
    I don't have a lot of info on this amp other than it is an integrated tube amp that has the tube complement I mentioned and has two volume knobs, one for each channel and it is 50 or 55 wpc. I was told it only has room for one input.
    Last edited by devuonoste; 02-08-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Then maybe what you need is a phono preamp and a source selector. The phono preamp is the box that brings the turntable signal up to line level and the source selector controls which one goes to the integrated amp. The Denon DP-300F has its own phono preamp if you decide on that model.

Lots of phono preamps...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

Example of budget source selector...

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc716pp.html

Example of budget phono preamp...

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info.

I'll have to do some research on source selectors and phono pre-amps. I don't want to spend a ton but I want to ensure the source selector does not reduce the sound quality of my CDP by using the selector vs plugging the CDP directly into the amp. Also, want to ensure the source selector does not degrade the sound quality of the turn table as well. It sucks having to deal with an amp that allows for only one input and no phono stage; however, it is supposed to sound amazing with my speakers for 2ch.

I hear what you're saying about source selectors and I suspect I'd be concerned about them, too, but remember...a preamp is a source selector, in addition to pots, gain stages, switches and other controls. And preamps are in very good systems. It seems to me degradation would usually be less with a simple source selector than a preamp.

Of course, you can always aim higher, depending on budget...

http://www.goldpt.com/sw4.html
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 02-08-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devuonoste
    Thanks for the info.

I'll have to do some research on source selectors and phono pre-amps. I don't want to spend a ton but I want to ensure the source selector does not reduce the sound quality of my CDP by using the selector vs plugging the CDP directly into the amp. Also, want to ensure the source selector does not degrade the sound quality of the turn table as well. It sucks having to deal with an amp that allows for only one input and no phono stage; however, it is supposed to sound amazing with my speakers for 2ch.

Take a look at Niles Audio. They make high end quality selectors. I use an amp selector and cannot hear any degradation of sound.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_de...ems&catcdID=10

Check ebay as they sometimes become available. My amp switcher sells for $150 and I picked it up on a bid on Ebay for $10. The guy begrudgingly sold it to me.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I hear what you're saying about source selectors and I suspect I'd be concerned about them, too, but remember...a preamp is a source selector, in addition to pots, gain stages, switches and other controls. And preamps are in very good systems. It seems to me degradation would usually be less with a simple source selector than a preamp.

Of course, you can always aim higher, depending on budget...

http://www.goldpt.com/sw4.html
    Thanks for the heads up on Goldpoint. One of their attenuators would be a good change for just about any preamp. I'm thinking about my ARC SP-9
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Thanks for the heads up on Goldpoint. One of their attenuators would be a good change for just about any preamp. I'm thinking about my ARC SP-9

You're thinking about selling me your SP9? Sounds good...

R' you tryin' t' gimme a case of preamp withdrawal!?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Pro-Ject is bringing its RPM1.3 to the US in March. Apparently it's been a popular table in Europe. Comes in black, red and white. Price will be $499. I'm interested in reading what the audio press has to say about it.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...7&category=947

Not too long ago musiciansfriend.com carried the Technics SL-1210 Mk II for around $450. I picked up one for $389 during a sale. Haven't seen it on their site lately but it's one worth looking around for.

Forum Regular
    I'd like to thank all of you for all your input.

nightflier
    Dean, that Pro-ject table looks really nice. I was just about to go for a Rega P2, because of the RB250 arm and the positive write-up in Stereophile, and it's being offered as a special in several places, but the Pro-Ject is another option for me.

I know it sounds a bit petty, but I really like the clean lines on the P2. And I know the anti-skating tether is important on the Pro-ject and MH arms, but it's another one of those things I'd rather not have dangling there. In a perfect world, I'd be looking more up-market (Clearaudio/VPI), but I think I need to go simpler this time around.

P.S. Does the new Pro-ject table come with a dust cover?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Dean, that Pro-ject table looks really nice. I was just about to go for a Rega P2, because of the RB250 arm and the positive write-up in Stereophile, and it's being offered as a special in several places, but the Pro-Ject is another option for me.

I know it sounds a bit petty, but I really like the clean lines on the P2. And I know the anti-skating tether is important on the Pro-ject and MH arms, but it's another one of those things I'd rather not have dangling there. In a perfect world, I'd be looking more up-market (Clearaudio/VPI), but I think I need to go simpler this time around.

The Rega P2 is a good table to begin with and there are so many after market parts to increase the performance. The sliding adjustment for antiskating allows finer adjustment than the three notches for the string and weight with the Pro-ject/Music Hall arms.

One thought I wanted to add was that when I was shopping for my Rega I was discouraged from the Rega Planar 3 due to the spring for tracking force. Many feel the spring can resonate and stretch over time. Most of the after market counterweights advise turning the tracking force dial until it has no influence over the arm and then add tracking force with the new counterweight.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 02-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Dust cover doesn't come with it. Someone reported on it from CES so I thought I'd check the usual online table dealers for availability.

My older Pro-Ject table has an arm with the weight and fishing line anti-skate. I've used the same notch setting with three different carts based on the manual's suggestions with no problems. Even someone who's all thumbs like me can loop the line in the right notch on the second or third try. After it's set, there's nothing else to do. I was concerned about its accuracy at first. It didn't seem like it would be precise, but it's really a "set it and forget it" feature. It's position at the back of the table keeps it out of the way.

I've considered the P2 too, especially when the last of the glass platter tables were on clearance. It's probably the safest purchase in that price range for those of us who have to shop for turntables online.

I could have sworn you had a nice turntable, already. Am I confusing you with someone else? Pixelthis, maybe? OK...kidding on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The Rega P2 is a good table to begin with and there are so many after market parts to increase the performance. The sliding adjustment for antiskating allows finer adjustment than the three notches for the string and weight with the Pro-ject/Music Hall arms.

One thought I wanted to add was that when I was shopping for my Rega I was discouraged from the Rega Planar 3 due to the spring for tracking force. Many feel the spring can resonate and stretch over time. Most of the after market counterweights advise turning the tracking force dial until it has no influence over the arm and then add tracking force with the new counterweight.
    I saw an exchange on the asylum today where someone said you're supposed to listen to a Rega turntable the way God and Roy Gandy intended, rather than circumvent that spring.

nightflier
    Yes, I have a MH MMF7. This is for another room/system, albeit, a more visited/seen one, so looks are important. Actually I'd also like to see how well a new $500 table compares to mine.

Linear Guy
    turntable selection depends to some degree your personal experience. For a novice, a reaonsable table would be a nice technics table and upper level Audio technica mm cart. Your total investment might be around 650.00. but you can't beat the durability and quality and most importantly, it is highly re-sellable if you get the upgrade bug. Sorry, I don't think re-sellable is a word.

nightflier
    Dean, can you point us to some reviews of that Pro-ject 1.3 project (sorry, I had to work that one in there)?

The red one sure looks flashy, IMO. I really wonder how it performs. BTW, what are the options for a 3rd-party dustcover?

You could get a Gingko dustcover, but they're a little expensive...

http://www.gingkoaudio.com/claravu.html

Pro-Ject has one that's a big box, too...for something like $350. Or maybe you could get a glass/plastics fabricator to build one out of clear acrylic to your specs.

...and I wonder if this one will fit...

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74473

nightflier
    Considering both are sold at Music Direct, I'm sure they have some suggestions. I have to imagine that the ubiquitous "Customers Purchasing This Item Also Purchased..." feature will give some clues as well.

As far as comparing it with my own table, I'm pretty sure the carts will be the deciding factor. That Sumiko on the Pro-Ject is OK, but it's clear they've skimped a little on that end - certainly not a fair match against my Goldring Eroica. Also, with dustcover, a better cartridge, I'm now nipping into the Rega P2 range.

One more question: all these budget tables are coming from abroad, I presume. So given our dollar's dismal slide against just about every other currency, that makes these imports a less appealing value. Is there anything made domestically that might offer much more bang-for-the-buck, or have all US manufacturers given up on this market sector. I'd be willing to consider some smaller mom & pop outfit too. Anything out there?

It seems like even with the currency difference, Pro-Ject would always be able to do it far cheaper in Czech Republic than anyone could do it in the US.

nightflier
    I dare not ask this, but the fact that Pro-jects are made in Europe does bring the obvious other question to the fore: any decent TTs coming from the Far East at these price points?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information