Thread: Yamaha vs NAD

Forum Regular

Yamaha vs NAD

I need opinion between Yamaha RX V2600 or NAD T163 + NAD T973. As the price wise, NAD doubles the price from NAD but how about the performance? I am using it 50% Stereo and 50% HT

I like the video feature of Yamaha RX V2600 because it has HDMI upscale and up converting. What is the different when I combine Yamaha RX V2600 (as pre amp receiver only) + NAD T973 compare with NAD T163 + NAD T973 (in term of sound)?

Anybody have any other suggestion for budget US$ 2000 good pre amp + Amp (7.1 Channel) for 50% stereo and 50% HT, by the way I am using C.E.C CD3300R and B&W 603 S3

Thanks

Welcome to the forums,

I don't really like the combination of yamaha and b&w,

maybe you can try rotel, they have good surround preamps and receivers...
    or denon, they have some pretty good surround receivers too...

I'll look up some more,

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Well, you are going to need a receiver if you are planning to do 7.1 channels for $2000. Otherwise the chances of finding a good enough pre-amp and amp that supports that many channels (most support 5 channels) is going to be incredibly pricy. However, you could go an alternate route, which is the one that I took for the time being as I do about 50% of each like yourself. I have a Pioneer Elite receiever, which I use for driving 5.1 channels, although I could go up to 7.1 and I am using the pre-outs on the receiver for adding two additional amplifiers (Parasound Halo A23, which is connected to my towers and the NAD C372 for my surrounds). By doing this I am able to use the receiver as my processor DAC and use the amps to drive my sound, primarily for 2-channel listening. Also going this way you could get a good Denon or Pioneer Elite receiver for about 1K and spend the other 1K on a good stereo amp for the time being. Long term you could always add on or eventually spend more money and get a better pre-amp or a processor (Parasound makes a surround controller for about 3K).

On a $2,000 budget you could purchase a Rotel 5-channel receiver, plus add a 2-channel poweramp to build a full 7.1 system, for instance:

Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver (5 x 75 watts), $1299 MSRP
    Rotel RB-1070 Power Amp (2 x 130 watts), $699 MSRP

B&W Group owns Rotel. I've auditionned the RSX-1057 with B&W DM603 S3, they are an excellent match.

Forum Regular
    thanks elapsed. I just bought Rotel RSP 1068 and Rotel RMB-1075 (5 channel). Next I will upgrade the other 2 channel. I demo both Yamaha and Rotel in the store. I like the sound, Yamaha receiver sound like mono, compare with rotel. The detail music is there.

I am looking the RCA interconnect from my player to pre amp and pre amp to amp. My budget per pair RCA is US$ 100 - US$ 150. Any suggestion.

By the way, I also buy Velodyne SPL 12. I works well with my rotel amp.

Quote Originally Posted by jlamo
    thanks elapsed. I just bought Rotel RSP 1068 and Rotel RMB-1075 (5 channel). Next I will upgrade the other 2 channel. I demo both Yamaha and Rotel in the store. I like the sound, Yamaha receiver sound like mono, compare with rotel. The detail music is there.

I am looking the RCA interconnect from my player to pre amp and pre amp to amp. My budget per pair RCA is US$ 100 - US$ 150. Any suggestion.

By the way, I also buy Velodyne SPL 12. I works well with my rotel amp.
    Most of subs will work well with almost every receivers out on the market. What is the sub cut-off frequency on your new Rotel? You can always choose not to use that feature though.

My recommendation to you would be to get a digital cable instead of gong for single-ended connection. Try out your processors DAc, and compare it with your DVD player's DAC. Find out which you DAC you prefer before you go out and spend alot of money on IC.

JRA

Thread Information