Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yamaha AX-570 amp

Suspended
    In fact, I just saw a Marantz HD Amp1 which is a Class D integrated with built in DAC, MSRP $1099.00. Rated at 70 into 4 ohms. Not sure why if using Class D some of these don't give more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    In fact, I just saw a Marantz HD Amp1 which is a Class D integrated with built in DAC, MSRP $1099.00. Rated at 70 into 4 ohms. Not sure why if using Class D some of these don't give more power.
    That is way under powered. It looks like 35wpc at 8 ohms. I think the trend is for small bookshelf speakers with the low powered integrated. But if you look at all of the Marantz integrated amps, they all have relatively low power and current compared to other companies. On the other hand, Marantz makes good quality gear.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I bought the Peachtree Nova 220SE. As I've said, I'm no audiophile and I haven't compared a lot of components. But to me, this amp, coupled with my Golden Ear Triton3 speakers sounds fantastic. Lots of power, and the music sounds very detailed and incredibly sharp.

It even came with a bluetooth receiver made by Peachtree so I can play music from my I-pod. Of course it doesn't sound as good as a CD but in the event that you just want to let the tunes go and not pay attention, it is a nice feature. The Bluetooth advertises at $100 and I didn't expect it to come with the amp. If it was a mistake, I made out well.

Funny, though, I can't get myself to toss my old Yamaha amp! I may look into what it might cost to have it fixed. It would be a great replacement to my old Pioneer garage receiver, which I listen to a lot in the summer. I opened it up and tried to clean all the switches and pots, but the static (and channel cutting out) always seems to come back.

Anyway since I bought the Nova from Crutchfield I have 2 months to listen and decide whether to keep it. Right now though, I love it. I do think I may need to play around with my speaker placement, though, to get the best "soundstage" if that is the right term. I will also have to get a phono pre-amp at some point as well as a speaker a-b switch. Yeah, it cost more than I really wanted to spend but right now I have no regrets.

Thanks to all who offered up advice and information. If my opinion changes for some reason, I'll let you know.
    Mr Peabody likes this.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
    I bought the Peachtree Nova 220SE. As I've said, I'm no audiophile and I haven't compared a lot of components. But to me, this amp, coupled with my Golden Ear Triton3 speakers sounds fantastic. Lots of power, and the music sounds very detailed and incredibly sharp.

It even came with a bluetooth receiver made by Peachtree so I can play music from my I-pod. Of course it doesn't sound as good as a CD but in the event that you just want to let the tunes go and not pay attention, it is a nice feature. The Bluetooth advertises at $100 and I didn't expect it to come with the amp. If it was a mistake, I made out well.

Funny, though, I can't get myself to toss my old Yamaha amp! I may look into what it might cost to have it fixed. It would be a great replacement to my old Pioneer garage receiver, which I listen to a lot in the summer. I opened it up and tried to clean all the switches and pots, but the static (and channel cutting out) always seems to come back.

Anyway since I bought the Nova from Crutchfield I have 2 months to listen and decide whether to keep it. Right now though, I love it. I do think I may need to play around with my speaker placement, though, to get the best "soundstage" if that is the right term. I will also have to get a phono pre-amp at some point as well as a speaker a-b switch. Yeah, it cost more than I really wanted to spend but right now I have no regrets.

Thanks to all who offered up advice and information. If my opinion changes for some reason, I'll let you know.
    My dealer had the Peachtree driving some Golden Ear as well as Paradigm signatures and a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozarts and it sounded great. They also had an Anthem 225 integrated driving the same set of speakers and the Peachtree was the clear winner. You've chosen well.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Congrats on the PT. It really is a nice integrated and can be a center piece of your system and it will drive most speakers effortlessly should you choose to upgrade. How does the on board DAC compare to your CD player? It should be a step up in audio quality. If you are interested in even better sound by ripping your CD's to a computer and using a computer program, let me know. There are some truly revolutionary programs like HQ player and Bug Head that will blow you away if you have the computer horse power to run them.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Honestly I don't know how the DACs compare. I just know that it sounds really good to me. I would definitely be interested in burning HQ CDs. Thanks, Blackraven, for your help.

Suspended
    I forget which CD player you have but to compare the DAC's instead of using the RCA cables (red/white) from the CDP to the Peachtree, you'd use a digital connection. Using a digital connection keeps the signal digital then it gets decoded by the Peachtree's internal DAC.

Forum Regular
    I used the optical connection from CD player to the amp.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Yes, there is. A speaker selector switch will take care of it. Here is a link to one on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: 2 Pair Speaker Selector Switch Switcher Splitter Box: Electronics

You will need an external phono preamp to use a TT with the Peachtree.
    Is there a decent all-around phono preamp I could get without spending a lot of money? I currently have a TT but it is one my wife bought me and I don't think it is of high caliber so someday I may get a different one. I see some are intended only for certain types of phono cartridges. Thanks.

What is your Budget for a phono preamp? Don't go to cheap as you get what you pay for.
    There is some good buzz about the Emotiva Phono preamp although I have not personally heard it.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-1

Here is a review-

Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Preamplifier Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com

For a little more money you can get something like this Vincent-

Vincent Audio PHO-8 Phono Preamp

or this Bellari which I use-

Bellari VP130 Tube Phono Preamp
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I think my question has changed from "which phono preamp" to "which turntable?". The TT I have seems to be very low end. So I think I'm going to begin looking for a better one. What are the main things I need to consider? Thanks.

I think my question has changed from "which phono preamp" to "which turntable?". The TT I have seems to be very low end. So I think I'm going to begin looking for a better one. What are the main things I need to consider? Thanks.
    First off, what is your budget? Is vinyl going to be your first choice of listening? You will need a decent phono preamp regardless of which TT you buy. Also, many budget TT's come with an Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge. It is way over hyped and it is a $100 cartridge. It is a little grainy and bright sounding. I prefer the 2M blue which is more refined. If you prefer a warmer sound like I do, then you will want to upgrade to another cartridge as the 2M Red and Blue are anything but warm.

Here are some medium priced TT's to consider.

Pro-ject Carbon Debut Esprit-great TT for a budget.

Pro-ject 1Xpression Carbon

Music Hall 5.3

Music Hall Ikura

Rega RP-3

Music Hall MMF7.1

And my favorite, the Clear Audio Concept. Read up on this TT.

The Music Hall 7.1 and the CAC are the most expensive and both are very good TT's. The Rega RP-3 and MH Ikura are also good TT's.

I have heard many of these TT's at the Needle Dr here in town. They sell on line as well and are very helpful it you need advice on TT's and related gear as well as which phono preamp to pair with a TT and cartridge. They are always willing to talk on the phone.

Needle Doctor
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    The Concept with the more expensive cart option is a great package if budget permits and Musical Surroundings phono stages have good synergy. The one to get I believe is just under $1k. Another option would be the Marantz Reference table which is a Clearaudio, this table has all good reviews and described as a great bang for your buck, comes with cart.

The Rega P3 also is a good performer with a Dynavector dv10x5 cart. There is also other good cart options depending on the type of sound you like in the $300.00 to $500.00 range.

The turntable, cart & phono stage work together as the analog source. You have to have them as a comparable package, meaning you can't really cheap out on either. However, it's pretty much agreed amongst those who know that a better table with a lesser cart is better than a cheap table with expensive cart.

Remind me what you are using now. Also, Blakkraven's other suggestions are good. I heard my friend's Music Hall 7.1 with 2m Black and it sounded good. I need to hear it again now that he has a better phono stage.

The budget is the main thing, then you can shop the options in that range.

Forum Regular
    I haven't actually decided what my budget is yet, because I don't know what good TTs and cartridges cost. Vinyl will not be my main medium to listen to but I have quite a few records from my younger days, and I always took good care of them so they're still in great shape.

Knowing very little about the costs, I'd say my limit is $1000 total for the TT, cartridge and preamp. I played a couple albums on the TT I currently have and now I have the itch to get something nicer. I played some stuff I hadn't listened to in 30 years or more, and it got me all sentimental!

Since I now have a nicer amp and speakers than in the past, the vinyl sounded good even with the cheap TT my wife bought for me. Once I get a new TT, I hope I can switch it out without her noticing although she has admitted it wasn't very expensive and I don't think she'd mind.

I'll check out your suggestions and thanks for your help.

Forum Regular
    The TT my wife bought for me is an "ION" something or other. She bought it because I had mentioned I wanted to get one that will digitize my vinyls. So maybe I could keep it if just for that purpose. Some of the albums I have are relatively obscure and finding them on CD is very challenging sometimes, so I wanted to burn them to CD so I can play some of it on my garage stereo which I use a lot during the summer. The lack of super high quality equipment out there is overlooked when I have a few beers!

I think I'm gonna set the limit to about $1,000 total for a TT, preamp and cartridge.

With a $1K budget, I would consider the Pro-ject Carbon Debut Esprit with the Ortofon 2M Blue and get a Vincent phono preamp-

Project Debut Carbon Esprit in Black with upgraded Ortofon 2M Blue stylus.

Vincent Audio PHO-8 Phono Preamp

Reviews on this phono preamp are positive and it seems to have good synergy with Ortofon 2M cartridges

This would come in just over $1K and would be a very nice system.

You could also go with the regular Carbon Debut DC which comes with the 2M Red cartridge and ask the Needle Doctor if they would give you credit on the 2M Red for an upgrade to the 2M Blue which is a better sounding cartridge, smoother, less bright, better tracking and less background noise. It will save you a little coin. But the Esprit is a better TT with a speed controller and a better platter

You will also need some Interconnects. Blue Jeans Cable makes very low capacitance RCA IC's (which is what you want for a phono IC) for about $30pr

If you really want to go budget, you can get a Denon DP-300F TT, Emotiva phono preamp and a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. Nagaoka Cartridges perform way above their price points. They tend to lean to the warmer side which is great for poorly recorded LP's.

DENON DP-300F Belt Drive Fully Automatic Analog Turntable | Accessories4less

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-1

Nagaoka MP-110 phono cartridge,Nagaoka MP 110 phono cartridge,Nagaoka MP110 phono cartridge,Nagaoka MP-110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP 110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP-110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP 110

This will get the job done but you get what you pay for. All 3 pieces have pretty good reviews. I guess it depends upon how much vinyl you will listen to and the quality of the recordings. Poor recordings sound bad even on good gear.
    Last edited by blackraven; 05-14-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I think I have run into a snag regarding the inputs of my Peachtree amp. There is just one set of AUX inputs into which a phono preamp would be connected. But I also want to connect my TV/DVD player to the amp so as to use the system for audio when watching a movie DVD.

I thought I could do it by splitting the red and white AUX inputs and connecting the TT to one split and the TV to the other. The TT I have has a built-in preamp so I don't currently have a separate one and the amp doesn't have one. When I first hooked everything up this way, the TV was off and the TT played fine (although with less power than the CD player). Yesterday I had the TV on and muted the volume while I went to play a record on the TT. The sound was terrible and weak.

To play the TV through the external system you must select that option on the TV menu. Since I had not opted to do that, I didn't think the TV would interfere with the TT signal. Turning the TV off initially provided no benefit, however at some point the TT signal "came back" but obviously something isn't right. When I pulled out the "Y" splitters and plugged the TT directly into the AUX inputs, it was fine. So I almost certain the problem happens when the TV and TT are sharing the AUX inputs.

Is there a way to run the TV sound and a TT through the Peachtree nova220 amp? I can live without the TV audio going through the system if I must, but I'd prefer to have the ability to do it, and still connect the TT (which I plan to upgrade) to the amp.

I know I'm very ignorant about these systems and I appreciate all the help you guys are able to convey.

A switch box like the one in the link below is what you need. It accommodates up to six stereo inputs with one stereo output.

http://www.amazon.com/TC-716-Stereo-...elector+switch
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Thank you.

Schiit Audio makes a higher end 2 input switcher with a volume control. It's what I would buy if I needed an extra input. It will be of higher quality.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I think I found a way to avoid the need for this switch by using the second optical input for the DVD/TV signal. I currently have a blutooth receiver connected to that but I really don't use it.

Thanks, also, for your TT suggestions. I will look more closely at those and other options as I become a little more educated on all of it. I can tell upgrading will cost me more than I had originally thought but you gave me some good ideas to keep it all within my budget.

Thanks. I think I found a way to avoid the need for this switch by using the second optical input for the DVD/TV signal. I currently have a blutooth receiver connected to that but I really don't use it.

Thanks, also, for your TT suggestions. I will look more closely at those and other options as I become a little more educated on all of it. I can tell upgrading will cost me more than I had originally thought but you gave me some good ideas to keep it all within my budget.
    I was in a similar dilemma as you. When I wanted to resurrect my vinyl I needed to start from scratch. I debated a long time as to whether or not I wanted to spend a lot of money on an analog rig. It boiled down to how much vinyl I would listen to and the condition of my old vinyl. I ended up buying a refurbished Vintage 1970's Thorens TT at a price that was too good to turn down from a friend. I paired it with a very good cartridge and a decent phono preamp that a friend gave me. For well under $1K I have a very satisfying system. I love my vinyl but it gets used about once a month. I can't really see spending more except for a phono preamp upgrade in the future.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I'm definitely an audiophile wannabe. I recall the first time I ever heard a really decent stereo at a friend's house when I was about 16. It was his older brother's and I was just bowled over by how good the music sounded. I'd never heard anything like it. Many years later and I can better afford to buy stuff but I still have to slow down and come to my senses sometimes!

Also, as I get older I'm not sure my hearing is able to fully appreciate the ultra-expensive stuff anyway. But I'm happy with my amp and with my speakers. I have a Yamaha CD player that seems decent and now to the TT. I asked my wife if she'd be offended if I upgraded, since she bought the TT I currently have. She said emphatically no. She's pretty cool about things like that. So now I'm excited about getting a new one and maybe I can get a few bucks on Craigslist for my old one.

Regarding the switch box you suggested above, if one input is the phono preamp and the other is the DVD/TV, why does this work when splitting the RCA inputs does not? In other words, why was the TT signal so weak using the splitters even when the TV was turned off?

I also need to learn about how to create/buy better quality CDs. I read some posts about some programs that do this and I need to research it some. I know very little about this stuff. When I first discovered i-tunes I thought I had hit the motherload, but then I read that the quality of the downloads isn't very good. Again, I just need to research this stuff when I get time.

Going through my old vinyls the other day is pretty cool. Not only is the format of the music cool, so is the album cover art and presentation. Oh well. I digress. I better get back to work. Thanks!

I am 57 and my hearing is rolled off above 12.5Khz but I can still tell the difference between high fidelity and midfi. I am still overly sensitive to bright systems and sibilants. I can still appreciate detail, resolution, air and transparency. I can still pick out subtle differences in vacuum tubes and usb cables. And believe it or not, most high end and ultra high end gear is made for middle aged and older people because we are the one's that can most afford it. What is nice about audio today, there is a renaissance in good sounding reasonably priced gear with the advent of better and cheaper DAC's and good digital amps and low to moderate power integrated amps. You can put a nice sounding system together for under $1k.

Your system is awesome. I believe I recommended the Peach Tree. It is an excellent sounding integrated with plenty of power and it would be at home and not be embarrassed with higher end gear.. Your speakers are well regarded as well. If you ever wanted to take your system to another level, upgrading your DAC and digital player to something like HQ Player or Bug Head would really make a difference.

The Schiit Audio switcher works because it has 2 inputs and it allows you to switch between them without splitting the signal.

Cheers,

Larry
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Yes, you did recommend the Peachtree and I appreciate that you did!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information