Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yamaha AX-570 amp

Forum Regular

Yamaha AX-570 amp

Hi. I have this old 100 watt/channel amp which I bought more than 20 years ago. Twice now I have opened it up and tried to clean the switches and pots the best I can using Deoxit because one of the channels would cut out. I am pretty sure it was the input selector switch that is the problem because if I messed around with it, the channel would temporarily come back on.

But each time after just a couple months the problem returns. Is there any way to repair this unit or is it time for a new amp? Thanks.

PS- Anyone else have a helluva time typing text into this dialog box?

Suspended
    I'd say it depends on how well you like the amp, and to a lesser extent your listening habits, like are you going to stream at some point etc. If you really like the amp it would be worth the expense of taking it to the shop, they may have to replace the switch or some other issue. If thinking of modernizing or just a change, a malfunctioning amp is as good of an excuse as any and the money for the repair bill would go a good portion toward the new amp. What is the rest of your system?

You could get into a new NAD or Cambridge audio some over $300.00 and go from there. You can go green and small with something like the new Pro-Ject MAIA, although not a lot of power. Cambridge Audio has a nice receiver with built in DAC for around $599.00, SR-20.

I sometimes have difficulty typing in the dialog box but I thought it due to my adaptice software. The site has been qurky for a long time. Sometimes I get emails tellingme of replies, sometimes I won't get one for months. It's were I started though so I stick around

I agree with Mr Peabody that you ought to weigh the cost of repair vs. the cost and improved functionality of a new product. Very often today it simply isn't worthwhile to repair, (unfortunately).

Yamaha has a very good Support website where you might find authorized service centers, service manuals, and parts: see here ... Support - Yamaha United States. Don't forget that shipping could be part of the repair cost if there is no local repair depot.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys. I had just upgraded to some decent speakers 2 years ago. They are Golden Ear Triton-3s. As much as I would like to be a real audiophile, I just can't justify a system that costs 10s of thousands of $. I'd be willing to spend $1500 or so to get a good amp but I am such a newbie that I don't know a thing about matching up an amp to my speakers, etc. Only other audio component is a Yamaha CD player. I have a turntable but I really don't see myself getting seriously back into vinyl. I would like to be able to connect an I-pod to the amp, too, and my TV. Not into surround sound, though, just stereo is fine to me.

What exactly does the DAC feature do for you? Thanks so much.

A DAC, converts a digital signal to an analog signal (your Turntable puts out an analog signal). Every CD player has one built in. DAC's really affect the sound. Most, if not all DAC's today have a USB input so you can play computer music. Most also have an digital optical or Digital Coax input so that you can connect the digital out of a CD, DVD player, TV etc. to the DAC. DAC's come in all sizes and price points. They are a must for computer music or it you want to upgrade the sound of your CD player if it has a digital out put. You can buy a DAC and use the CD player as a transport to send the music to the DAC by passing the internal DAC of the CD player.

For $1500 you can buy a very nice amp or integrated amp.

Here is one such integrated, it has a nice built in DAC and lots of power to drive those inefficient speakers. I like the sound of Peach Tree gear.

Amplifier with DAC - nova220SE Amplifier DAC with Tube | Peachtree Audio

Here is a nice brief review-

Peachtree nova220SE Integrated Amplifier – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

Here is a great buy for $1399 with free shipping-

Peachtree Audio NOVA220SE Integrated Amplifier with DAC | eBay

The only draw back is that it only has 1 analog input but schiit audio makes a nice analog input selector for $49.

Here is another nice integrated amp without a DAC. I have not heard this one but I have heard other NAD gear. Nice sound and well built.

NAD C 375BEE Integrated Amp at Music Direct
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-07-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thank you, Raven. Integrated amp means no separate pre-amp, right? If so, I'm sure that's the way I'd go. The Triton-3 speakers are designed for 20-400w/channel and 8 Ohm impedance (according to the specs in the manual) and 90dB efficiency. I don't really know what the efficiency means. What would I look for in finding an amp that is compatible with these speakers?

An integrated amp has a preamp and amp in one chassis.

Interesting that the Triton 3 speakers have a sensitivity of 90dB. I read in one review that it was 85dB. Obviously the review was wrong or I read it wrong. 90dB is very good and the speakers should be easy to drive. I still like a lot of power for dynamics.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Do you know if there's away to play music from an I-pod through the Peachtree?

Suspended
    the tritons are a nice choice, you'd be rewarded with a nice amp. The built in DAC would play the music from an iPod, the exact particulars of now I'm not sure as I haven't gotten into the streaming thing.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    the tritons are a nice choice, you'd be rewarded with a nice amp. The built in DAC would play the music from an iPod, the exact particulars of now I'm not sure as I haven't gotten into the streaming thing.
    Thanks. I've read that music in mp3 format is compacted and that limits the quality of the sound. If the mp3 files are used to burn a CD, does that do anything to improve the quality of the music output?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
    Thanks. I've read that music in mp3 format is compacted and that limits the quality of the sound. If the mp3 files are used to burn a CD, does that do anything to improve the quality of the music output?
    No, not really. Once compressed to a "lossy" format like MP3 the original detail can never be restored. Simply put, ALWAYS buy ONLY music of, 16 bit / 44.1 kHz resolution; likewise rip CDs only to this resolution. There are number of different "Lossless" formats; the most popular is FLAC but it might be more convenient to ALAC format, (files use an M4A extension), if you are using iTunes or an Apple device.

You might want a "lossy" format on your portable device to save storage space. However only ever buy 16/44.1 or better resolution; readily available programs can copy you "lossless" files to "lossy" files for the portable device.

Forum Regular
    That's informative. Thanks.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Is there any way to repair this unit or is it time for a new amp? Thanks.

PS- Anyone else have a helluva time typing text into this dialog box?
    Hi, you said you had bought this Yamaha AX-570 amp for more than 20 years. Wow, so old, and i think it's better for you to change a new one. But if this one is special to you and you want to keep it. You have two choices: refer to the Yamaha AX-570 user manual for help - View Yamaha AX-570 PDF User Manual Online, which would help you save the money to repair. Or visit a Yamaha service location to repair the unit.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan View Post
    Hi, you said you had bought this Yamaha AX-570 amp for more than 20 years. Wow, so old, and i think it's better for you to change a new one. But if this one is special to you and you want to keep it. You have two choices: refer to the Yamaha AX-570 user manual for help - View Yamaha AX-570 PDF User Manual Online, which would help you save the money to repair. Or visit a Yamaha service location to repair the unit.
    Thanks for the link. I plan to buy a new amp but some other things have made me detour from that temporarily.

Forum Regular
    I spoke with a rep at Crutchfield Audio. She pointed me to an Onkyo TX-8160 receiver that was about $400 which she referred to as a "high current" 80 wpc.

I don't understand what makes the Peachtree 220SE produce a better sound than this Onkyo, for instance. Is it the built-in DAC? Would the $1200 price difference produce a noticeably better sound when playing through a CD player? BTW, Crutchfield sells the Peachtree and other much more expensive amps.

Again, I appreciate any help. Thanks.

The peachtree will sound much better than the Onkyo. It is an integrated amp driving only 2 channels. It will have more power, be more dynamic and it has much better spec's. It is a digital amp it will have a lot of air, transparency and dynamic's. The sound stage will be wide and there will be more resolution and detail. The built in DAC will be better than what is in the Onkyo and should sound better than your CD player. You get what you pay for in audio. If you want a high end sound with a piece of gear that will allow you to upgrade in the future and be a center piece of your system, go with the Peach Tree. It will drive almost any speaker.

IMHO, the Peach Tree will sound much better and is the way to go. The onkyo will sound mid fi.
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-24-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Here is are some reviews on the PT Nova 220se, the first one pairs it with the Golden Triton speakers

First Listen: Peachtree Audio Nova 220SE integrated amp/DAC/headphone amp | The Absolute Sound

Peachtree Audio nova220SE Integrated Amplifier Reviewed

Peachtree Audio nova220SE Integrated Amplifier

Peachtree nova220SE Integrated Amplifier ? Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

I seriously think that the Onkyo will pale greatly in comparison. The Onkyo is a budget piece and Crutchfield is just trying to make a sale.
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-24-2016 at 02:49 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thank you, Raven. While I'm not looking to spend money needlessly, I am not afraid to spend a little more if it counts. Right now Crutchfield has the 220SE at $1600 incl shipping. They also let you try it for 60 days and if you aren't happy, you can send it back for $10. Heck, that makes it almost risk-free. I'm this close to doing it!

Here is a great buy on one refurbished and sold by Peach Tree-

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Here is a great buy on one refurbished and sold by Peach Tree-

Can I connect my turntable to this amp? I currently run my main speakers plus a set of outdoor patio speakers from my amp. It looks like only one pair can be run from this amp. Is there a way around that?

Yes, there is. A speaker selector switch will take care of it. Here is a link to one on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: 2 Pair Speaker Selector Switch Switcher Splitter Box: Electronics

You will need an external phono preamp to use a TT with the Peachtree.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Thanks. Looks pretty painless.

Can I connect my turntable to this amp? I currently run my main speakers plus a set of outdoor patio speakers from my amp. It looks like only one pair can be run from this amp. Is there a way around that?

You hook up your TT to a phono preamp that then runs into the AUX input of the Peach Tree. To hok up your patio speakers you would need a speaker selector switch.

For 2 pair of speakers you will need a speaker selector switch like this-

TC 7220 2 Way Amp Amplifier Speaker Selector Switch Switcher Splitter Combiner | eBay

I use to use one and they work well. I did not notice any degradation is sound.

Niles Audio also makes a nice one. But the TC allows you heavier gauge wire and 200wpc RMS (continuous power not peak, you will never be running 200wpc continuous) which will be enough for the Peach Tree.

Otherwise you can get an amp switcher or go with a different amp with 4 speaker outputs.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Your best bet if you want to run 2 sets of speakers is the NAD 375. It has lots of features, a good pedigree and built in DAC. Another option that has had good reviews is the Yamaha A-S1100 natural sound amp. No DAC though

YAMAHA A-S1100 Integrated Amplifier Silver | Accessories4less

It replaces the A-S1000
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

NAD or the Yamaha would also be my choices but to the Peachtree's defense I have never spent much time with one. I have known people that have owned them and liked them though. NAD seems to be a very robust amplifier for the rated power of the amp and Yamaha is just plain reliable and their upper end stuff sounds good. I am starting to see a big trend in built in DACs and I think some time soon we will see the day that built in DACs in the higher end preamp and integrated amplifiers are very good and as good as most separate units

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information