Forum Regular

marantz 6400 driving dyn 52se...be honestly brutal...good choice? bad choice?

i just ordered the Dynaudio 52se's. I was thinking of getting the rotel 1055 with no more info on it than the dealer saying it is good. I am quite naive when it comes to $1K a/v amps. I am not the richest on the block, and my block isnt that great anyways. But i do like music. I do like dvd's. So, the dealer offered me a Marantz 6400 for $560. I decided to go with it, so that i could still pay my water bill this month. But, am i being silly by thinking that a 6400 could really do the 52se's justice? should i really go with the rotel or something else and just live without water for a month?

I NEED YOUR HELP. RGA- what do you say?

(i am joking about the water, but not about the money)

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Frankly Rotel doesn't make the greatest preamps at least no better than anyone else in this price range. The Marantz has jacks to add a power amp LATER. I just picked up the 4300 for $239.00US or $320.00Cdn on a closeout...it's no world beater and doesn't scare my Sugden. But then it also doesn't make me groan or have bad habits either.

Going home theater IMO is a compromise and if one is forced to go with a feature box Receiver then get the bare bones you can with the features you need and then buy a power amp used for cheap.

Consider that I could probably get a 5 year old 5 channels worth of Rotel Power amps that probably retailed NEW for $2kUS for about $400.00 CDN. Add this to the SR4300 and it would EAT for lunch ANY 6k receiver of 3 years ago...my cost $820.00. And this would probably at least power wise would embarass the SR9300...then it's just a matter of the features. For instance the 5300 and newer 5400 has on screen set-up so some might need that to operate the unit easier and might be worth a bit extra - wasn't to me.

Thread Information