Forum Regular

Would this work??

I had a thought of hooking up a receivers preamp outs to the input of a seperate pre-amp and then onto a power amp? Anyone try this?? The goal would be to use the power amp for stereo listening, and assuming the preamp is going to deliver better sound quality than the receivers, while still being able to do multichannel. ??

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Yes, and it works quite well

Quote Originally Posted by mgripy
    I had a thought of hooking up a receivers preamp outs to the input of a seperate pre-amp and then onto a power amp? Anyone try this?? The goal would be to use the power amp for stereo listening, and assuming the preamp is going to deliver better sound quality than the receivers, while still being able to do multichannel. ??
    That's exactly how my two system are joined. I run my CD player's analog output directly into the preamp, and the front main outputs from the receivers pre-out into one of the tape inputs on the preamp. This way I can use the mains both through the preamp & driven by the receiver as well. I also run the digital output of my DVD/DVD-Audio player into the receiver, and the ANALOG DVD-Audio output directly into my preamp.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I do the same....sort of, I only have 1 pre-amp in my HT but 3 amps and my receiver. On my last 2 receivers, using the digital output cable from my cd player, I haven't been able to hear any improvement though. I suspect if my pre-amp was a bit better I would. I should sell it and get something a bit better...but then again, I do more 2-channel listening on my stereo rig downstairs.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    That's exactly how my two system are joined. I run my CD player's analog output directly into the preamp, and the front main outputs from the receivers pre-out into one of the tape inputs on the preamp. This way I can use the mains both through the preamp & driven by the receiver as well. I also run the digital output of my DVD/DVD-Audio player into the receiver, and the ANALOG DVD-Audio output directly into my preamp.
    Nice to know someone else is doing the same.. The Pre/Pros I am getting have xlr balanced cable connections on both, my cd player does not, any advantage of using the xlr cables with an input to pre with rca? Thanks.

xlr have some benefits

Quote Originally Posted by mgripy
    Nice to know someone else is doing the same.. The Pre/Pros I am getting have xlr balanced cable connections on both, my cd player does not, any advantage of using the xlr cables with an input to pre with rca? Thanks.
    The length of the cable run is not a factor with xlr. You get immunity from grounding problems between units too. Often, you also have twice the voltage gain. This really only makes a difference if your using a pre that doesn't have enough gain. But for the most part, for home audio xlr doesn't have any advantage over rca.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

You got me beat by one amp

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I do the same....sort of, I only have 1 pre-amp in my HT but 3 amps and my receiver. On my last 2 receivers, using the digital output cable from my cd player, I haven't been able to hear any improvement though. I suspect if my pre-amp was a bit better I would. I should sell it and get something a bit better...but then again, I do more 2-channel listening on my stereo rig downstairs.
    I just recently hooked up my stereo Musical Fidelity amp to bi-amp my center channel. 250 watts makes that puppy sing so sweetly!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    That's okay, you've probably got more power than me...I've just got two Adcom's and an 80 watt Rotel handling rear surrounds. My receiver does the center channel. I suppose someone will tell me I'm committing a cardinal sin because my amps aren't "timbre matched".

I have an 80 watt AudioSource AmpOne that I really like that was doing center channel duty bridged at 200 watts, but I've delegated it to my office system upstairs to drive my M3ti's...I like the gain knobs on those amps...saves me from having to run around the house to set the volume. Very nice little workhorse amp if you ever stumble across one used.

I'm a sucker for used amps. I two NAD integrateds (no pun intended) and an H/K receiver I still use every now and then. And my Rotel in my 2-channel rig.
    I should downsize, but I just get so darn attached to these things...

Timber matching amps?!

That's okay, you've probably got more power than me...I've just got two Adcom's and an 80 watt Rotel handling rear surrounds. My receiver does the center channel. I suppose someone will tell me I'm committing a cardinal sin because my amps aren't "timbre matched"....
    Too funny! But as silly as it sounds, that's kinda what I did and it works (a little).

Since moving the CSW T-500's to the bedroom I've been using the 3.6's as the mains in the HT system. As Wooch is so fast to point out "timber matching" is important in HT, and the maggies just didn't match the MC500 center too well. The biggest culprit is that the MC500 has a shelved down treble response. The Musical Fidelity amp is the exact opposite, having a slightly rising response into the treble. Adding it into the mix has slightly boosted the treble from the center, along with bringing the sound quality up a notch. Did it fix the problem? No, but it's much better than before, and wil have to do at least until the maggie CC3 gets here.

I have an 80 watt AudioSource AmpOne that I really like that was doing center channel duty bridged at 200 watts, but I've delegated it to my office system upstairs to drive my M3ti's...I like the gain knobs on those amps...saves me from having to run around the house to set the volume. Very nice little workhorse amp if you ever stumble across one used....
    Deja-Vu dude! I was JUST looking as a used AudioSource Amp one on Ebay that was selling locally. I've been trying to find a replacement amp for the one that came with the VS computer speakers that I bought a couple years ago. I was going to pull the trigger on the AudioSource amp, but decided that it was just too much power for these speakers. Instead I went with the wacky little Tripath amp. Big spender, eh? I can't wait till it get's here!

I'm a sucker for used amps. I two NAD integrateds (no pun intended) and an H/K receiver I still use every now and then. And my Rotel in my 2-channel rig.
    I should downsize, but I just get so darn attached to these things...
    If it's working, and you enjoy it, why get rid of it? I've got gear here that I bought over 25 years ago that's still going strong. Nope, the only thing that churns around here is my HT, and even in that, my "getting long in the tooth" receiver is still going to be around until they can come out with a decent receiver that has both HDMI switching along with decoders for the new DTS and Dolby formats & HD Radio too. (am I asking for too much?)
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Suspended
    It sounds like you already have your preamp but if not, many today offer a bypass input, called many things, but it basically allows the input from your receivers front pre outs to pass directly to your power amp.

When using a tape monitor loop, does that allow you to adjust the volume from the receiver? For some reason I'm thinking the tape out would be a fixed level which means you would have to adjust volume at the receiver and preamp both. If I am correct the processor bypasses are more convenient because they make the 2 channel system a slave to the receiver for HT.

I had my systems tied together through a bypass for a long time. Now I have them separate because when I went to tubes on my 2 channel I could not deal with the difference in sound, tubes on main and SS on center. I don't know if I'm gifted or cursed, for most I don't think this would have mattered but the inconsistency I could hear and it drove me crazy. So much so that my "must have" processor loop sits empty while I switch cables at the main speakers from stereo to HT application as needed.

Thread Information