Forum Regular

why do you like your amp/reciever?

I just wanted to ask what amp or reciever you guys chose/ bought / have and what about it fills your particular need. Like the reasons why you chose theat particular brand, make, model, and what your objective was and if the reciever/amp is like you got what you wanted. Like basically why you like your reciever. Also if your looking to upgrade and what you'd like to upgrade with?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I like my Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver just fine...but if I could do it over again I would definitely have scaled back to an RX-V650/HTR-5760...I use external power amps anyway and the Parametric EQ feature, THX DSP stuff, and crappy learning remote aren't otherwise enough of an incentive to justify the extra $300 or so I paid for it. Oh well...it's a nice receiver...a case of me being attracted to the newest technologies at the time..

I love my Rotel RA-1070 integrated. It's the best integrated or pre-amp/amp combo I've ever owned, and getting it 2nd hand with full warranty was just icing on the cake. Great bang for the buck.
    My old NAD 3140 and NAD 3020's are legendary, I rarely use them except in my dining room for radio/ambient music and when I'm in the garage.

Someday I hope to get a much nicer Bryston, Krell, PS Audio, etc system that I can build from the ground up to be for both 2-channel and home theater...having 2 separate systems has become a bit of a problem now that I'm hooked multi-channel audio.

Forum Regular
    Fun topic...
    In my Living Room I actually have two systems. I use my RSX-1065 for Home Theatre. I'm overall very happy with the performance, it's very powerful and does a great job on HT. It's also good on Stereo, but I wanted a dedicated two channel system. It didn't have an A/B speaker switch, otherwise I might have used it also for Stereo reproduction. I tried some speaker selectors by Adcom and Russound, but some detail was lost.

I ended up recently purchasing a second receiver in my Living Room for Stereo. I went with the Rotel RX-1052, which is the updated verson of the very highly regarded RX-1050. I already owned a Rotel RCD-1070 cd player and just felt that mixing manufactures is not a good idea.

I know some people might question the purchase of an integrated for a two channel system and swear by separates, but I knew I'd be driving speakers that would never require more then 100 watts per/channel, so the RX-1052 worked well for me. I believe that Rotel is such a firmly established audiophile level manufactures that thier Intergrated Amps are very close to their separates. Many, many audiophiles will disagree with this, but I can guarantee that the parts in both the separates and integrated are nearly identical. I also didn't want to deal with more power requirements and additional cables. Also, the RX-1052 has a built in Tuner that is better then the tuner in my RSX-1065. I just used the antenna provided by Rotel for both AM & FM and get incredible reception. This is a feat worth mentioning because I live in a high rise next to Manhattan - reception in these buildings is often very difficult.

My last receiver is in my bedroom, the Arcam AVR-200. This is a great all around receiver for both music and home theatre. It is so much improved over the AVR-100, which I ended up getting rid of. The newest version is the AVR-300, which can be bi-amped using its extra channels. I do love the sound of Arcam, but I will admit many of their products tend to have signature sounds, which always isn't a desirable effect. Rotel on the other hand attempts to reproduce the music as it's recorded, although can be a bit forward on occasion. Either manufacture produces excellent highly acclaimed products IMHO.

On a side note, I'll try and stay on the topic of receivers, but I personnally have found that 70% of a systems sound is the result of the Speakers, 15% Amp / Rec, 10% source and 5% cables. Just some food for thought.
    --------------------------------------
    PSB Image Series for HT
    Triangle Comete - Stereo
    Triangle Zerius - Bedroom (both HT & Stereo)
    Last edited by astravitz; 03-30-2005 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

Forum Regular
    Kexodusc, actually I've been wishing I got the rxv1500, I actually could have at the time but now I can't. It has 25 more watts (120 vs 95) and less thd (0.04 vs 0.06)...I think you made the right choice. Actually, I heard the 1500 is pretty much a 2500 and that the 650 is pretty much a 750, also 450 essentially a 550. I think it's much much better to have so much extra juice...I'm glad you got the 1500 instead of the 650/750, I think it's a far superior machine and worth the extra change over the long run.

I'm happy with the rxv650/htr5760 for it's clean sound, adequate power, programs, multi-channel inputs/pre-outs, etc. It's a nice package. The sound is very clear and precise. I really like the programs especially the ones that take 2 chnl sound and seperate them into 5 or 7 chnls...I couldn't believe how good a job they did and how really good it really does sound. I'd like to upgrade one day...get a rotel (or similar) some better speakers and a sub.

Forum Regular

Denon 3805

I love pretty much everything about my 3805. It's probably the only piece of gear I can say that about. It sounds great, I love the functions and features. It looks great and it fits perfectly in my entertainment center. I'm also one of the rare breeds that actually likes the remote as well. Like all Denon products the owners manual is a joke, but I'm used to that.

I got it as a free upgrade from a 3803 floor model from Tweeter when it turned out to be a dud. So it only costed me $628 brand spankin' new.

I have no room for complaints!

I only wish I felt the same about my Denon 2200 Universal player.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. budget
    Kexodusc, actually I've been wishing I got the rxv1500, I actually could have at the time but now I can't. It has 25 more watts (120 vs 95) and less thd (0.04 vs 0.06)...I think you made the right choice. Actually, I heard the 1500 is pretty much a 2500 and that the 650 is pretty much a 750, also 450 essentially a 550. I think it's much much better to have so much extra juice...I'm glad you got the 1500 instead of the 650/750, I think it's a far superior machine and worth the extra change over the long run.

I'm happy with the rxv650/htr5760 for it's clean sound, adequate power, programs, multi-channel inputs/pre-outs, etc. It's a nice package. The sound is very clear and precise. I really like the programs especially the ones that take 2 chnl sound and seperate them into 5 or 7 chnls...I couldn't believe how good a job they did and how really good it really does sound. I'd like to upgrade one day...get a rotel (or similar) some better speakers and a sub.
    Mr. Budget...don't buy into the watts hype...Your Cerwin Vegas are very efficient speakers, probably in the area of 90 dB/watt. This means they will play a very loud 90 dB at 1 meter with only 1 watt of power...In your room probably 84 dB or so with 1 watt of power. Most of your music listening, if in an apartment so you don't get evicted is probably done at less than 75 dB and probably demands less than 1/2 watt of power per channel...that's right 0.5 watts. It takes double the power to make a barely noticeable, 3 dB increase in volume...go ahead, turn your speakers up 3 dB on your receiver...you just doubled the power output...not much louder, eh? It takes 10 times the power to double the volume....
    So your amp, that pumps 90 watts or whatever into 2 speakers, has 20 watts less than mine...that means my amp wouldn't even make 1 dB more of volume at your speakers than yours...
    There's a lot more too it than that, but basically, when looking at differences in power, you might as well consider power output capability to be equal between 2 amps unless one is at least DOUBLE the power of the other...

Now, the power supply unit and method of switching it uses to distribute power to all channels probably yields a 3dB to 6dB advantage over your receiver with all channels driven...maybe a bit more, but I can guarantee neither of us are going to push our amps that hard...and I use external amps anyway because my room is big, and, well, I think they sound better and I already had them.

Don't get me wrong, more power is great to have...especially if your speakers demand loads of power to sound good...but for many people, having that extra power ability will only be a waste because they never, ever demand it of their equipment, and it therefore adds no improvement to the sound.
    Yes, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...but only to a point. This is just one reason why you should buy an amplifier/receiver to match your speakers/system rather than by piecemeal.

What's more, the THD figures you mention...well, listen here...scientific testing indicates that the human ear cannot detect distortion at 1% THD (and some would argue 2% or a bit more)...anything less than 0.5% THD is good enough and won't make a difference...0.09% is incredibly low, 0.06% is even lower, and the 0.04% is just stupid low...there' effectively no difference.

Some of the world's best amps have higher distortion figures in the 0.5% to 1% THD range, and only 5 to 10 watts per channel, and play very loud and clean.

Long story short, don't pay too much attention to specs...the people here, and tons of threads on these subjects can teach you a lot about what's really important, and save you a ton of money in the future.

Audio Enthusiast
    I use two NAD 2155 amplifiers configured in MONO. One to drive each speaker. In this mode, each channel is rated at 150 watts. But that is NOT the reason I selected them. I purchased one of these when they were new in the late 80s. I was impressed with its effectiveness with inefficient speakers.

At 84db, my current speakers are very ineffecient and sound best with an amplifier capable of producing high amounts of amperage. The NADs can easily produce 40amps of power.

Best of all, when purchased new, I paid $355. I bought the second one from eBay for $129

I've been lurking eBay in hopes of aquiring another. But I've only spied 2100s and an occassional 2200. All of them now commanding high prices that are almost comparable to original retail.

squeegy200: You're right, I've been looking for the 2155's as well, not many there...you might try Audiogon.com, which tends to be more reasonable, and a bit safer bet for good equipment.

Squeegy's situation is a good example where more power is definitely useful...if his speakers offered the same sound but higher efficiency of 90 dB (which is doubtful, the designer probably chose to live with inefficency to allow for improved sound benefits), one would accomplish the same output with under 40 watts of power per channel...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. budget
    I just wanted to ask what amp or reciever you guys chose/ bought / have and what about it fills your particular need. Like the reasons why you chose theat particular brand, make, model, and what your objective was and if the reciever/amp is like you got what you wanted. Like basically why you like your reciever. Also if your looking to upgrade and what you'd like to upgrade with?

Well i like my Krell KSA-150 because it has tons of details and power. It can drive impedanceses below 1ohm, and while some say that is overkill or useless it isnt so.
    My new Apogee Scintillas are 1ohm and drop to 0.88ohm sometime, The Krell will jank out about 1.8kw per channel into that, and alows me to own and listen to such a historical speaker.

The downside, is the power bill.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    I was thinking about returning the yamaha htr5760 so I could upgrade, but why. I mean I wanted a package that I could afford, that could do a lot of stuff, was quality made, and so I could take over my soundspace here. Now, all of a sudden I want more power. Anyways I finally grounded myself, I got a good unit new under warranty, and if I want power later I can add amps on to it. I know my speakers could probably not take on the power of this amp so why do I need more power. I'm really liking home theatre now, and I can dig the music this puts out, can always add amps for music quality. Like the package is fine, but still there's this thing I got going saying upgrade, return, upgrade. It's like you finally get a camaro and you can't even enjoy it because all you can think of is getting the corvette. Anyways, I'm more confused than ever about this now. There it goes saying trade in, new speakers are needed, oh no now I think my speakers need some repairs. Anyways, time for a coffee, and maybe a movie change.

mr. budget: Sounds like you got the classic case of "upgraditis", which we commonly refer to as "the bug"...
    Cut up your credit cards and give your wallet to someone you trust...this hobby can put you in the poorhouse pretty fast.
    Audio equipment, like many other things,yields diminishing returns on your investment. Which means if you spend twice the money on equipment, you don't get "twice" the performance, etc...(with the odd exception)...eventually you have to spend soooo much money just to get a tiny small improvement in your system that people will think you're crazy.
    But your not...that tiny small improvement that you could have but don't will over time become so freakin' annoying and obvious to you that you convince yourself you absolutely CAN'T live without it.

Welcome to the club...better find a second job!!!

Forum Regular
    Actually, it's gotten to me now so much that I just put a new post. Maybe you could help me. I want to upgrade, don't ask me why, I don't even know, but I want more power. what recommendations would you recommend that'd give me more juice? Thanks for help.

Get yourself an Adcom GFA-555 or one of their newer big amps.
    kexodusc is right see below
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    I have found it is usually a good idea to purchase the best components you can afford at the time you buy. Doing this you can happily use the equipment for many years before getting the upgrade bug.

I have a Denon POA 2200 Power amp mated to a Denon PRA 1100 pre amp. It is now about 18 years old, has never broken and still sounds great. I did recently go to the Arcam CD73 as a source CD player and that was a good move. I still listen on my Technics SL1000 MK II turntable and my Sony EL 7 Elcaset deck. Thats right still going strong and both were purchased in 1978. Never been away for any repair ever.

That is why I say buy the best you can buy or afford now and use it for many many years.

I still love the way my amp and pre do their thing with my music. When buying a good CD player be prepared to notice just how bad some of the sound quality is on some CDs. The manufacturers should be ashamed of some of the poor quality recordings that get marketed. Now a good recording is just a real treat.

Audio Addicted
    I actually can't get enough of my Sunfire amp. Everything about its performance and good looks makes for complete an audio experience. I recommend extensive listening with a variety of speakers.
    Michael
    2-Channel Traditionalist Audiophile
    Maggie Fan, Bob Carver Sunfire groupie

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Why I like my amp = it's not Solid State for a start. Gee that to me is almost where it needs to end. It fits the speakers well -- it is picky about speakers due to the power limitation though it will drive a lot f speakers one would not think it would drive very well...most tough to drive speakers I don't like -- so no problem and there is exactly Zero plus 100 watt amps I think are remotely listenable...there may of course be exceptions (maybe BAT) but I have not heard them as of yet.

Canuck!
    Well, i have several, and i like them all for different reasons. I like my Radii KT-88 Monoblocks because they are rich and tubey, and are perfect for most of my relatively sensitive speakers. I like my Odyssey Extreme Monos because they are big, heavy, and have 300watts and drive the bottom end of my Gershmans like CRAZY... Herbie Hancock's bass is just insane. They also sound fantastic.. best solid state i've ever had.. slightly darker than normal, and very smooth.

Gershman Acoustics X-1/SW-1 / Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks / Edge Electronics Si-1m Preamplifier / Sony DVP-NC555ES Transport Modded Caps and Opamps / Pro-Ject Debut II with Shure M97xE / Carver TX-11 Tuner / SonoCable and Harmonic Tech Cabling / Monster Power HTS1000 MKII / Monster Power HTS3500 MKII / Audio Note AN-K/Spe / Radii MSKT88 Monoblocks / SonoSilence One / Akai Reference Master

Forum Regular
    I have two systems, one in the living room, one in the bedroom near the computer.

In the living room are the Hafler DH100 preamp and DH220 power amp I have had since the mid 80s. They power my Boston Acoustics tower speakers (T1000s). This combination has always sounded very natural to me. When I recently played a DVD Audio disc through it for the first time, I was reminded of why I bought them in the first place. I like how the mosfets sound. This system is mostly used for TV and DVD sound, but many of my DVDs are concerts.

I the bedroom I have a JVC RX-318B receiver powering a pair of Polk RTi4s. These are less than a year old. This is my main music listening system. I like the RX-318B because is is not harsh/hard sounding like most other inexpensive receivers. It also has the inputs and flexability I need to record CDs from various sources. I have only used the radio in it once. I can listen to this system for hours with no listening fatigue.

Peace.
    Last edited by Mark of Cenla; 05-13-2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: To add something
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Thread Information