AR Newbie Registered Member

Weird Questions about amps...

Check it out guys, I have my setup, which is great n' all, but my Athenas are rated at 250 watts RMS and I'd LIKE to get a 2channel amp that feeds 'em that much. My questions are as followes...

Should I get a pro audio amp for price factor? (Crown, QVC etc.) Do people even do that for HA\HT? Price vs. power is an awesome ratio.

Next Q is...
    Is there an amp that has optical in?

My ultimate amp choice would be a 2 ch. tube amp that drives 250 rms with optical in. I'm sure it's made but most likely VERY expensive. Any Ideas guys. Thanks
    Austin

Setup:
    Harman Kardon AVR 135
    Harman Kardon DVD 22
    Athena A-SF2 towers
    SVS 16-43PCi sub

Forum Regular
    There are lots of 200 wpc SS amps around, and the differences in SPL capability between 200 watts and 250 watts is trivial at best....

Pro-audio gear is designed to tolerate physical abuse, while [audiophile] home gear is intended to give the best sonic performance for the buck. So unless you plan to toss your amp down the stairs every week, why bother getting pro-audio gear??

A 250 wpc tubie..... With optical inputs? I have lived with tubies for many years and they are electrically substantial but not worth the bother unless you have very high definition speakers and you posess a basic understanding of electrical circuits..... a careless or stupid person can get fried touching the wrong parts in my tubies.... they pack a LOT of electrical current capability.......

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Well is there a nice SS amp, resonabally priced of course, putting out 200+ wpc that has an optical in? I haven't seen any.

An amp with an optical in? Sure, it's called an AVR.

As far as a separate style amp with optical inputs; there's no such animal. That would mean the amp would have DAC's, which would mean it would also need to have some sort of gain control. In other words, it would need to be an integrated with on-board processing. Can't think of a one...

What you're looking for is a pre/pro and amp, unless I'm mistaken.

Re: Weird Questions about amps...

Analog is still the only way to hook up an amp to a preamp or receiver. A GOOD (Crown's higher-end models for instance) pro amp costs almost as much as a "budget audiophile" amp anyway. Might as well get the right tool for the right job.

Now... Your biggest problem as I see it, is that your Harman Kardon AVR-135 doesn't have the pre-amp outputs (only 1 for the subwoofer) that you would need to hook up an outboard amp. (the AVR-230 and higher models have pre-outs for all the channels) Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this should at least clear things up for you a bit. What you would need is a receiver with pre-outs (could hook up an outboard 2-channel amp to the main speakers) or (if you've got lots of money!!!) a separate home theater preamp / processor with separate amplification for all of the channels.

The Collector
    There is one pro amp i have recommended and always will and that is the crown k2. it is just an amazing peice. i personally think if it's good enough to be in the studios to run monitors its good enough for me. its all a matter of opinion. its hard to suggest amps. If you dont want to spend a lot of money pick up a hafler or something along the lines.

They say that for every 3 dB (which is only just noticable) increase in sound pressure you need to double the power. so unless your playing your system as loud as it can possibly go all the time you probably wont notice a lot of difference between a high quality 100 wpc amp and a cheaper 250 wpc amp. My advice is to ignore that meaningles number on the back of those speakers and buy somthing that sounds good with them,

Did you know that a Proac responce 2.5 woofer built by Scanspeak is rated at only 70 watts?
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

The Collector
    MikeyBC I just have to make a little correction about what you said about a 3db increase. It is a little more than just noticable. it is actually perceived by the human ear as twice as loud.

Yeah... Stop over and hear my Carver

Tell me if you barely notice it's loud!!! lol

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    MikeyBC I just have to make a little correction about what you said about a 3db increase. It is a little more than just noticable. it is actually perceived by the human ear as twice as loud.
    ... and I have to correct YOU, since your audio knowledge is sorely lacking here. You're confusing the doubling of power that produces a 3db increase in loudness with a doubling of loudness which requires a ten times increase in power to achieve.

Mikey is absolutely correct in stating that a 3db increase in loudness is little more than a just noticeable difference. Sorry 'bout that.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Thanks woodman for backing me up, I should have mentioned both facts to avoid confusion.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Thread Information