Forum Regular

Which way is up??

I am looking into buying the Martin Logan Aerius speakers for my HT/Audio system.

Question1: They are used so is there something I should be looking for to tip me off that they have been abused?

Question2: I have the ONKYO 603 7.1 reciever that is 90 watts per channel. Will this have enough power to get them up and running?

I am not against buying an AMP, I most likely will. But will my existing set up work for now?

I am sort of new to the home audio, I do have 1800 watts in my truck, so my question is...
    Will an AMP be hooked up just like in my truck? After the reciever and before the speakers, or do I need a whole new reciever that is not powered?

If I am correct in assuming that an AMP can be connected to my existing ONKYO, what would be the minimum wattage that I should be looking for? Tubes or Digital?

I really appreciate the help, I will keep everyone informed on my progress.
    Thanx!!!

You need to make sure the Onkyo receiver has a preamp out to be able to hook up a separate power amp. The preamp out will connect to the amp via interconnect cables.

As far as amps are concerned, it depends upon how much you want to spend. If you want to spend around $1K look at Emotiva amps www.emotiva.com (these are a real bargain for high powered amps. Several people here own them and love them. Their XPA-2 puts out 500wpc at 4 ohms and sells for $899.) , B&K reference series, Parasound Classic series and NAD. I've heard NAD with ML's and they have a very nice sound.

Your amp should be able to drive them. The recommended power requirements are 60-200wpc. You may want more power if you like to listen very loud. I would take a wait and see approach before buying a new amp. That Emotiva amp would be sweet and really make the speakers sing to their full potential.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/pdf/ma...ual_aerius.pdf

By the way, why do you need 1800watts for your car stereo? I know a great Ear doctor who can fit you for hearing aides in a few years.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thank you for your response! I will definately look for an external amp.

Yes it has pre-outs.

Since the price of the ML's is a steal, I will pick them up and start working my way up.

The truck...Lots of power = clean sound. The largest subs are JL8's, plenty of mids and and highs. I want the same in my house now. It is a whole lot more expensive though!
    LOL

Thanks for everything.

If its really high power you want, give alot of consideration to the Emotiva amps. They are a real bargain for a 500wpc amp (4ohms). If you want to spend around $2K, consider the Parasound Halo A21 amp. Its 400wpc at 4ohms and peaks at 750wpc. I've got one and it is truly a great amp. Also consider the Van Alstine FET Valve 550 which is a 500wpc (4ohms) Tube amp. It has a really nice warm sound and would be a good match for the ML's.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    If you plan to have a HT set up keep in mind in order for it to sound right you will need ML center and surrounds. This could be quite an expense but worth it. I love tube gear with ML but probably not a good way to go for a multichannel system. A lot of expense and maintenance. And trust me, tubes mixed with solid state absolutely does not work in the same HT system. The sound doesn't blend, it's too different. Hence, my separate systems.

The Aries are nice speakers but you will need a sub, even with music. The low end seems to roll off pretty steep. Your Onkyo will run the Aries but will be a true test for it. Onkyo's high current will be a benefit to you in driving them. I've seen small Arcam integrated amps drive the Aries so give the Onkyo a chance it may do alright.

When auditioning if the panels play they should be fine. A smoke free environment is highly encouraged by ML, could possibly damage the panels. Don't expect a lot of low end bass from the 8" driver. You should inspect the surrounds to make sure they look preserved. The newer ML models have improved on bass response but I wouldn't hesitate to jump on a pair of Aries at a good price. I had a pair hooked to a Krell 300i if the bass wasn't there with that, it wasn't going to be there.

If you are not going to use the Aries in a HT set up, if you buy a new amp, get an integrated or components, don't under estimate what a good preamp is worth in the component chain. The 603, or most any receiver, wouldn't be up to task in a decent quality 2 channel system. Especially if you want the best from the ML's.

Suspended
    PS - the Aries are bi-ampable so when you look at the back you will see two sets of binding posts which should have a metal strap connecting them. Sometimes if the owner does bi-amp they forget about the straps or where they are. Just be sure they are in place or you get them with the speakers.

Forum Regular
    Thank you all for your help. I am picking them up tonight, $650 for the pair. They are in the original packing and everything!

I will definately start looking for an AMP to power them. I already have a sub, but considering selling on CL and getting a ML Dynamo to match.

I am not going to go too crazy, I just want to get a nice "Quality" set up for my theatre room.
    I will stay away from tubes for now. Thanks. The last thing I need right now is something else to maintain.
    My room is 15x15 and I have the room to keep them 2x2 from walls, eeked in just a tad so I take advantage of a wider sweet spot, however my seat is in the middle!

One more question - To bi-wire, or not to bi-wire, that....is the question.

Suspended
    Man, you did get a great deal. I would have snapped those up at $650.00 in a heartbeat. If you could find another pair and your room allows the set up, it would make a great surround system with the 2nd pair for rear.

If you are using a sub, I personally don't see any advantage to bi-wiring or bi-amping the Aeries.

Forum Regular
    Muchas Gracias!

No room as is, I will have to stick to the ceiling and back speakers for my surrounds.

Maybe if I get new furniture I can leave a foot on each side, but for now...man my wife is going to love me!

Save on wire, that much closer to an AMP!

Is there a sound difference in using banana connectors as opposed to twisting the lug down? Those things are rediculously expensive for what they are.

Go to www.bluejeancables.com and buy their unterminated speaker wire and then buy their banana plugs for $3.50 a piece and terminate them yourself. It takes about 5-7minutes for each plug. Its great wire for not a whole lot of money. I think its like 80cents a foot.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I've never been able to tell any difference in sound from bare wire to bananas to spades. Sometimes a connector can allow a better connection and most are treated as to not oxidize like bare wire. I have been able to detect differences and improvements with speaker cables and I believe with the Aeries and a good amp you should as well. So some day when you have the money you may want to experiment with that.

Have you hooked them to the Onkyo yet?

I think the only reasons to use banana's or spades is for quick release and for oxidation.
    In fact, Magnepan recommends using bare wire for their speakers.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Yeah I read that on thier site...bare wire...I do not mind the twisting.
    I always believe it is better to have less connections to fail.

I will be hooking them up tonight, I really can't wait!!!

blackraven: I looked at the Maggies for surround possibilities, the ones that hang on the wall...think they could be hung from the ceiling behind my sitting area where the old ceiling speakers are? At a 30 degree angle?? It seems like they would work extremely well being that they are so long they would really cover the entire sitting area. Thanks for the owners manual link!!

I will let you know how it goes on Monday when I get back to work.

Hopefully, I will not have the need or time to get back on here over the weekend!

Thanks guys, have a great weekend.

The small maggies can be hung on the wall or from the ceiling. I believe many people do that with the small panels.

If your going with ML speakers, I would look into using their center channels for rears or another pair of used ML's. Magnepans have a totally different sound then ML's. ML's have greater transpareny and have a lighter sound.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Gotcha.

Will keep that in mind.

Enjoy the weekend.

Forum Regular
    WOW! They sound great in my room. I turned my center down a cpl of db and they are seemless.
    Everyone who stopped by could not believe they were speakers. LOL They have never seen electrostatic speakers.

I do not need it, but I will get an AMP soon just for the ML's.

They deserve it!

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Waahoo9800
    WOW! They sound great in my room...Everyone who stopped by could not believe they were speakers. LOL They have never seen electrostatic speakers. They deserve it!
    Welcome to the world of electrostats. Their appearance does take some folks off guard. Most look at mine and do not realize they are speakers. It is true they benefit from each and every improvement in the signal chain. I find their purity unmatched, especially at low levels. The very best microphones, such as Neumann and Schoeps, use the same operating principle. The challenge to amplifiers is not just based upon power, but in the ability to drive their most unfriendly reactive load. The resistance drops to nil at the top octave and they throw some of the signal right back at amp. Not every amp, including high powered pro amps, is comfortable with such a load.

Stats have been my passion since I first heard Dayton-Wright full range units in '76.

rw

Suspended
    I thought you would like them. I'm a big ML fan. I wish I had the room for a pair. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any other brands of Electrostats to compare ML to. If there are better I'd sure love to hear them.

E-stat, have you ever heard a pair of Stax? I haven't but would love to.

Thread Information