Forum Regular

Ventilation Question.....

I just bought an NAD C720BEE receiver. I have it in a stereo cabinet. It has about 2 inches of space between the receiver vents and the top of the cabinet. There is not a lot of space on the sides, but there are no vents on the receiver's sides either. I am going to open up the back of the cabinet. I also make sure that the front door is open when the receiver is on. The unit is barely getting warm, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing here. Should I put the unit on top of the cabinet? Thanks.

Pat
    Forum Regular
    I'm not famailiar with using that particular brand but my receiver and cd player run warm too. I wouldnt worry about it unless it shuts down or gets really hot.
    As always someone else here may have some more input.
    Have a good day.....Sez' Pat
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

I had a NAD amp for 2 years in a similar arrangement in a audio stand.I took the back off of it.She never ran hot. She,however,recently moved to Texas.

NAD products are tough(IMHO)

Alan

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the replies. I actually lowered the shelf that the receiver is on, so now there is about 6 inches of breathing room. I also cut out the back of the cabinet for further ventilation.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Gotta watch the tops and bottoms of those things. Some amps have vents on the top, some on the bottom (few on the sides for some reason). Convection cooling means a bit of space is required for airflow. If there's a fan even better. I'd say 2 to 3 inches above and below with an open back is enough for most pieces of equipment unless you're running them really hard all the time. Just need some place for the hot air to escape and cool air to come in to replace it.

Forum Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Gotta watch the tops and bottoms of those things. Some amps have vents on the top, some on the bottom (few on the sides for some reason). Convection cooling means a bit of space is required for airflow. If there's a fan even better. I'd say 2 to 3 inches above and below with an open back is enough for most pieces of equipment unless you're running them really hard all the time. Just need some place for the hot air to escape and cool air to come in to replace it.
    Thanks for your reply

Thread Information