Ajani

Ultimate Harman Kardon Integrated Amp - HK 990

I want it!!!! Looks like the HK 990 will be available in the US (as it is listed on HK's US website):

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...x?PID=HK%20990

First off, this thing is beauuuuuutiful... But more importantly, it has the most advanced set of features I've ever seen on an Integrated Amp:

Room Correction
    DAC
    2.2 Channels - meaning 2 subwoofer outputs
    Balanced Inputs
    150 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, doubling to 300 @ 4 ohms

I haven't been able to find a US price yet, but in the UK it goes for 1000 GBP, so I'd expect it to retail between $1K and $2K....

Looks like the Harman Group have finally produced an amp that makes sense to pair with Revel's more affordable Concerta and possibly even Performa Series...

The Amp and matching CD player have already received rave reviews in Europe (for both sound quality and features)...

Did I mention that I want it??? I want it now!!!!
    Last edited by Ajani; 11-19-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Looks impressive. My first HK was an integrated amp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    My 930 Twin still rocks me...

Chicago IL
    both look very nice and powerful! harman kardon makes only good amps and receivers!

Ajani
    A 5 Star review of the Amp and matching CD player from Hi-Fi Choice (UK):

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-594768/review

Also, the Amp received the EISA Award for Best European Audio Amplfier 2009 - 2010:

http://www.eisa.eu/awards

The AMP and CD are also in HiFi News' Products of the Year (though you have to keep in mind that HiFi News is one of the mags on the panel for EISA, so this can be seen as an overlap).

According to the HiFi News measurements, the Amp's power is conservatively rated and actually delivers 215 watts @ 8 ohms. Further, it can deliver peaks of 1.5kw at 1 ohm!!! So it really should be able to drive just about any speaker...

I can't wait to see what Stereophile or TAS think of it....
    Last edited by Ajani; 11-18-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I want it!!!! Looks like the HK 990 will be available in the US (as it is listed on HK's US website):

It just looks like any of the other amps they've put out in the recent past. The room correction feature is a very nice touch. Personally i find they offer too many features but that may suit some people. However the room correction, if good, I would be happy to have as feature.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    It just looks like any of the other amps they've put out in the recent past. The room correction feature is a very nice touch. Personally i find they offer too many features but that may suit some people. However the room correction, if good, I would be happy to have as feature.
    True... it has the now standard HK look... but that look is damn sexy (IMO)...

Also, while some people won't need all those features... the options exists to bypass all of them (for purists) AND more importantly, according to the reviews: the amp would still be a good deal at its current price (1000 GBP) without the extra features (based solely on sound quality)... so the features are just a bonus (if you want them) or something to be ignored/bypassed (if you don't need them)...

MM and MC phono intputs....Pretty impressive there, AJ!

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    MM and MC phono intputs....Pretty impressive there, AJ!
    Good Point AA, I totally forgot about the phono inputs since I don't use a turntable, but they are another selling point for someone who does...

Too many AA's on this forum. By the way, he's Aa.

First off, this thing is beauuuuuutiful... But more importantly, it has the most advanced set of features I've ever seen on an Integrated Amp:

Room Correction
    DAC
    2.2 Channels - meaning 2 subwoofer outputs
    Balanced Inputs
    150 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, doubling to 300 @ 4 ohms

Did I mention that I want it??? I want it now!!!!
    It does lack a built-in subwoofer crossover. There are integrateds with this feature and certainly it's standard on AV receivers.

A good subwoofer crossover should allow for selectable high-pass, (to feed the main speakers),as well as low-pass filters, and stereo as well as LFE outputs.

To be sure, it's good to see digital inputs; a USB connection would be handy too.

Aha!!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    It does lack a built-in subwoofer crossover. There are integrateds with this feature and certainly it's standard on AV receivers.

A good subwoofer crossover should allow for selectable high-pass, (to feed the main speakers),as well as low-pass filters, and stereo as well as LFE outputs.

To be sure, it's good to see digital inputs; a USB connection would be handy too.
    It has crossover settings for the sub: 40 to 200hz in 10hz steps... you have the option to set this manually or let the room correction/eq do it for you...

Only thing missing is the USB input (though frankly I'd prefer wireless streaming).... but I guess we can't get everything...

It has crossover settings for the sub: 40 to 200hz in 10hz steps... you have the option to set this manually or let the room correction/eq do it for you...

Only thing missing is the USB input (though frankly I'd prefer wireless streaming).... but I guess we can't get everything...
    Right. I missed those sub outputs when I first looked.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    The 990 gear just came to my attention, so I called HK customer service and was told the units were discontinued in 2009, which really sucks!

Ajani
    UPDATE:

So Harman has finally released the HK990 AMP and matching HD990 CD Player... The CD player is priced as I'd expect $600 (retails for 500GBP in the UK)... While the Amp pricing is either a mistake or a sick joke at $2400 (considering the amp retails for 1000GBP)... So about $1500 sounds right... anyway, only time will tell if the pricing is a mistake...

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...=1&tsT=0&ovT=1

Even stranger is that the prices on the official press release are $2600 and $700 for the amp and cd:

http://hometheaterreview.com/harman-...e-of-products/
    Last edited by Ajani; 09-21-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Thread Information