Forum Regular

Tubes with Paradigm Studio? Yup...

...worked out very well.

I had my stereos torn down for new carpeting, so I figured this would be a good time to try my PrimaLuna with the Studio 60s for a two-day listen. No, not continuously :*) I've never heard about anyone trying Paradigms with tubes, so I figured it would be somewhat interesting.

As with my Revels, everything across the board got better, but maybe not to the same extent. One complaint I have with the Studios is a slightly gritty midrange at anything above a whisper. And it gets worse as volume increases. The glowing glass definitely mitigates this problem.

The Studio 60s are pretty good imagers, better than the M20s, and the PL2 made layering even more pronounced, more 3-D. There is the sensation you can walk up to the singer, and peer around a body... not just a voice suspended between the speakers. There was more resolution, more instrument delineation.

And despite going from 200 WPC to 40, the bottom end is fuller, bass lines easier to track.

Well, the trusty 'ole Paradigms are back in my bedroom with the Rotel separates. Playing some "Sublime" now. I usually don't do this type of stuff, but I like some of what they do.

It's sort of funny... I was corresponding with "Josh", setting up a demo with RGA's beloved Audio Notes, and I was wondering what kind of amps they were going to have on hand. I told him:

"I heard A.N.s sound better with tubes"

He replied:

"Most speakers do, Jimmy"

Lol... I suppose he's right.

Have you tried any tube dampers?
    I've been meaning to try Herbies' for my preamp tubes. Not too sure about power tubes.

I hope to be running PL2 in several months. That or Dared, Cayin, or used VTL integrated. I do understand that Jolida sells alot of units, but kinda weirds me how many 2nd hand units I see.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I've been meaning to try Herbies' for my preamp tubes. Not too sure about power tubes.

I hope to be running PL2 in several months. That or Dared, Cayin, or used VTL integrated. I do understand that Jolida sells alot of units, but kinda weirds me how many 2nd hand units I see.
    Being a tube user I've noticed the same thing about the number of 2nd hand tubes. I wonder if those folks are trading in on higher power tubes. I don't see as many of the 150-200 watt tube amps all that often. Maybe a little bit of tubes only makes you want more tubes. I use tube dampers on the small signal tubes in my preamp. They seem to make it quiter.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Dear Joe,

I think you hit right on the money there. I love my tube integrated with CD player since it has higher output, My tube pre w/ 40db gain just isnt enough at times. That's why I bought VTL TP-2.5 with 45/60 gain. I'm hoping that extra 5db gain will give slightly more umph. Of course I'm expecting little more refined sound.

VTL integrated i want has 75watts I believe as oppose to 45 I have now.

This'll be nice. It's expensive but not mortgage expensive.
    http://www.almarro.com/A50125A/A50125A.html

Has anyone tried this damper? http://www.vasaudio.com/product_avm.htm

Forum Regular

No, I haven't...

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

...buy I don't think I need them. There is no noise, ringing, etc.

But who knows... maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Thread Information