Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tubes

I've replaced the 12UX7 china tube with the 12UX7 Sovtek LPS and it was better than the China tube. I may try some others for the 12AX7 but am itching to try the GL. will wait though.

I see you got a Musical Fidelity A5CD and those Reference 3A Veena...nice speakers and a sound out of this world I betcha!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    When did you get the LPS?

The Veena is a remarkable speaker. I'm driving it right now with a Yamaha receiver - blasphemy! I liken this scenario to the magazine covers - making up and airbrushing a beast into a swan. Can't wait to get my amps back from the shop.
    Source: Musical Fidelity A5CD
    Pre: Stevens & Billington TVC
    Power: Heathkit W4; Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB splitter, '55 Sylvania 6SN7GTA driver, Russian 6P3SE outputs
    Speakers: Reference 3A Veena
    Interconnect: Tara Labs RSC Air 1
    Speaker Cable: Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000
    Power Cables: Furutech 314 with Oyaide 079 connectors
    Rack: Rack of Silence
    Room: well treated with panel absorbers

Frenchmon, check out this site for tubes. I just ordered some 6CG7 NOS RCA Black Plates from them.

Marantz mullard, Fisher amperex items in greengirl613 vacuum tubes store on eBay!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by the hand of boredom View Post
    When did you get the LPS?

The Veena is a remarkable speaker. I'm driving it right now with a Yamaha receiver - blasphemy! I liken this scenario to the magazine covers - making up and airbrushing a beast into a swan. Can't wait to get my amps back from the shop.
    About two weeks ago...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Frenchmon, check out this site for tubes. I just ordered some 6CG7 NOS RCA Black Plates from them.

Marantz mullard, Fisher amperex items in greengirl613 vacuum tubes store on eBay!
    Cool site...I will keep them in mind...thanks Raven!

Blackraven...whats those 6CG7 NOS RCA Black Plates like?

Quote Originally Posted by mav52 View Post
    Frenchmon, check out 'Electro-Harmonix tubes'
    I can't post the link since I don't have 10 post.

about $13-19 bucks google 'ehx 12AX7 tube'
    I have had those for about 2 months now. Very clear sound, but mine hum like a mofo!! I cannot tell if it is my Jolida amp or the EH.
    I bought the amp with two 12AY7's in them, and that has a lower gain so that is not comparable in pinpointing the problem. So, I am not sure if I can recommend those.

Noob, recommended the Sovtek 12AX7LPS; they have long plates and are considered to be a great deal. I should have went with those; that will be my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    I have had those for about 2 months now. Very clear sound, but mine hum like a mofo!! I cannot tell if it is my Jolida amp or the EH.
    I bought the amp with two 12AY7's in them, and that has a lower gain so that is not comparable in pinpointing the problem. So, I am not sure if I can recommend those.

Noob, recommended the Sovtek 12AX7LPS; they have long plates and are considered to be a great deal. I should have went with those; that will be my next purchase.
    Look at the chart in the middle of the page.

12AX7 Tube Type Review

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Blackraven...whats those 6CG7 NOS RCA Black Plates like?
    I really like the RCA BP's, even better then the RCA cleartops. They have a more liquid sound and are more neutral to warm. Bass is deep but a little less punchy. Treble is just right.

With tubes there is always so trade off between different models. Plus, tubes sound different in different systems.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I really like the RCA BP's, even better then the RCA cleartops. They have a more liquid sound and are more neutral to warm. Bass is deep but a little less punchy. Treble is just right.

With tubes there is always so trade off between different models. Plus, tubes sound different in different systems.
    Raven....I swapped out the odd tube a China tube for a 12UX7 Sovtek LPS about a month ago, and I noticed that voices are slightly forward a bit which is a very good thing. The forwardness has added a little luxury and texture to the voice...I love it. Its almost like you can reach out and touch it! I have also swapped out the Canton's for a slightly larger speaker, the Nola Mini's. They dont disperse sound like Cantons but add a little more richness and tone. The bass is a little thinner with the Mini's but with the tone controls on the Vincent, I can bump up bass slightly and bass has presence....first time I've used them. So the tube pre is really sounding excellent. Have you ever used a 12UX7 Sovtek LPS? It added good texture to female vocals.....nice.

Now that was with the XRAY v8....when I use the Marantz SACDP which is richer and warmer in the mids... combined with the tubes it ohhh so much emotion.. Now I have emotion with the XRAY, but a rich warm female voice through the Marantz and tubes...well its outstanding....and with a warm voice like Shirley Horn...Romantic!

Frenchmon, It sounds like your hooked on tubes. I have not used any 12UX7's as my equipment only takes 6CG7's and 6N1P's. But your experience with tube rolling is what its all about. You can swap tubes to get the sound you want. FYI, don't touch the glass on the tubes with bare hands as the oil on your skin can cause hot spots and premature burnout of the tubes.

Your experience with the tone control on your preamp is why I like tone controls. Used properly they can help you tune the sound.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Wow...did not know that about the oil! Thanks ...its valuable information.

Well as soon as I get a phono preamp, I will put the Rotel pre, Rotel CDP, Rotel tuner, another Rotel amp, mmf-2.1 TT, and Cantons in our 4th bed room. This will be the wifes escape from reality and stress. So at times if she lets me, I can get a little solid state relaxation from time to time.

....this is a fun hobby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information