AR Newbie Registered Member

Right channel blown - easily repairable?

Yesterday I managed to blow the right channel of my Arcam Alpha 6+ amplifier by accidentally shorting the +ve and -ve outputs (blue flash followed by silence from the right channel). The left channel seems fine but the right channel does nothing. (I've checked the speakers themselves and they are fine.)

I am no electronics expert. Am I likely to be able to get this amp repaired (relatively inexpensively & quickly), e.g. has it probably just blown a single component which can be readily replaced, or should I just chuck the whole amp in the bin and get a new one?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I would have the amp checked

Quote Originally Posted by bfinn
    Yesterday I managed to blow the right channel of my Arcam Alpha 6+ amplifier by accidentally shorting the +ve and -ve outputs (blue flash followed by silence from the right channel). The left channel seems fine but the right channel does nothing. (I've checked the speakers themselves and they are fine.)

I am no electronics expert. Am I likely to be able to get this amp repaired (relatively inexpensively & quickly), e.g. has it probably just blown a single component which can be readily replaced, or should I just chuck the whole amp in the bin and get a new one?
    It may be a single component, or just a fuse. Arcam builds things well, and it may have internal fusing. I did something similar with my old PS Audio 200c amp, and it was as simple as replacing the fuse.

Thread Information