AR Newbie Registered Member

Need an amp, thinking about a receiver

I am a web developer, so I'm at my computer for hours per day. I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-595 headphones and I'm loooooving them. But I feel like I may be missing something without an amp. I'm just plugging them directly into the back of the sound card.

Also, I have a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers that I'd like to be able to hook up to the computer as well.

I've been thinking about finding an old 2-channel stereo receiver at a yard sale or somewhere like that (they are everywhere it seems). Then I would plug the computer into the aux input and perhaps my iPod into another input and be done with it.

I have a feeling this is a stupid question but knowing my situation, would a stereo receiver be a good alternative to a headphone amp? Would anyone suggest anything else that improve my listening experience? A preamp? A DAC?

If you like headphones, I could see going with a DAC with a volume control and headphone amp. The Music Hall DAC25.2 is an example, although I can't speak for its sound quality...never heard one. A stereo receiver sounds like a fine idea, if you want to play the sound through speakers. An amp with a volume control, like the AudioSource AMP100 is also an option. Make sure you have a decent sound card if you go the analog route. With a DAC, you just connect the computer via USB, so no need to worry about the card in that case.

Suspended
    The vintage receiver would be your cheapest option and it will run both speakers and headphones. Finding a stereo Harmon Kardon would be very good.

In addition to what was already suggested and I know you have the Sony speakers but you might want to take a look at a set of powered speakers like the Audio Engine. The larger set has a USB dock for mp3 player and even charges it and they sound great. I don't believe they have a headphone jack though.

NAD makes some low powered integrated amps that don't cost much if deciding on something new..

Trends also had some cheap little amps, a new one has USB, I'm not sure of all the features.

Really, though,

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thank you both for your input.

If I get a receiver will I need an amp also? I thought receivers had an integrated amp.

Can I treat the sound card as a valid input to a vintage receiver or should I do something to the signal between the sound card and the receiver to improve the quality? Is that what a DAC is for (first time hearing about DACs was the other day)? Which would be better:

1. sound card -> receiver input
    2. usb -> DAC -> reciever input

Forum Regular
    If you have a receiver you will not need an amp. the amp is built in.

Quote Originally Posted by mattalexx
    Which would be better:

1. sound card -> receiver input
    2. usb -> DAC -> reciever input
    This depends on the quality of the sound card in the 1st option and the quality of the DAC in the 2nd option.

In the 1st option, the sound card performs the role of the DAC and sends analog straight to your receiver. The 2nd option bypasses the sound card. The digital to analog conversion process occurs in the DAC.

Suppose you were using the aforementioned Music Hall DAC. That's a 600-dollar component. It should sound better than a card for that kind of money. Even better would be a DAC from Benchmark or PS Audio. And of course, there are better still. I wouldn't recommend a DAC of even higher quality than the Benchmark with a vintage receiver...just saying it's an array of options. I think a qood card will get you decent sound for less money than a DAC with USB. But if you have more money to spend, the DAC will provide the better sound.

Thread Information