Forum Regular

Suggestions for a new pre-amp (replacing Denon AVP-8000)..

So while the world's struggling with the swine flu I seem to have gotten bit by an upgrade bug yet again. To make the long story short I currently have Denon's AVP-8000 (with which I really have no fault), but am thinking of whether I should upgrade from it and to what. I don't think I'll be going (if at all) with a new piece, but rather a good second-hand. So the question really is this - what are some of the better (or else why bother) pieces that won't break the bank.. I am less worried about the price at this time but would just love to see some names and model numbers thrown out there that would help me facilitate my search. I think Lexicon's MC-1, B&K's Reference 30 or one of the newer (II and higher) Sunfire Theater Grands might be some of the ones that could fit the bill. It'll mostly be for TV/HT and blues/rock/metal type of music, in that order. Again, the most important question is whether I will actually gain anything meaningful outside of the satisfaction of owning a newer piece by ditching the Denon.

Thanks to all responding in advance.
    Roman

Suspended
    I think in order for you to notice any significant improvement you will have to shoot for a higher quality preamp. Fortunately, for you since you don't seem to be worried about the latest technology it's your market. You could pick up something like Krell, Anthem, Bryston, Classe' etc which would provide that big step up you are looking for.

Not my wisest move but I went to the AV8003 which leaves me with a Primare 31.7 that cost $4k new I am selling for around 1/4 retail. The 8003 is great for it's price but the sound isn't up to par with the 31.7. The 31.7 is at least as good as Krell's Showcase preamps.

What amps and speakers are you using?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I think in order for you to notice any significant improvement you will have to shoot for a higher quality preamp. Fortunately, for you since you don't seem to be worried about the latest technology it's your market. You could pick up something like Krell, Anthem, Bryston, Classe' etc which would provide that big step up you are looking for.

Not my wisest move but I went to the AV8003 which leaves me with a Primare 31.7 that cost $4k new I am selling for around 1/4 retail. The 8003 is great for it's price but the sound isn't up to par with the 31.7. The 31.7 is at least as good as Krell's Showcase preamps.

What amps and speakers are you using?
    No, I'm not the one to chase the fabs, not in everything at least.
    True, I should have mentioned that. I have Sunfire's XT-series' CRM-2's, which I'm driving with Sherbourn's 5/1500A (200w/ch).

Thread Information