AR Newbie Registered Member

Starting from scratch, need help.

I have nothing to listen to, I'm starting from scratch.
    I have no speakers, no cd player, no amp (looking for an integrated amp). I'm starting from the ground up.
    I listen to a lot of hard rock/heavy metal. I don't listen to rap very much at all, maybe only two discs in my whole collection are rap.
    System will be set up in a room approximately 12' X 24'.
    I'm looking to spend no more than $2000 ($2500 CDN).
    I've heard some good things about NAD (maybe the C352), Cambridge Audio, Axiom speakers.
    An amp with a headphone jack is a must.
    I'm in a building so I can't really crank the music.
    What kind of combination would I be best off with?
    Thanks in advance.

Audio Enthusiast
    if i were you i would check out odysseyaudio klaus .is running a special package deal that includes a khartago amplifier ,etesian passive preamp,epiphifany loudspeakers and groneburg cables thrown in check out the reviews on the khartago at www.soundstage.com it won awards for best new product and budget leader award i own khartago monos and let me tell you they kick butt!!also check out www.tnt.com for a review of the epiphifany loud speakers there are links to these sites at www.odyssey audio .com there is a phone number in the ordering section of the website talk to klaus this stuff has a twenty year warranty and a thirty day money back guarantee i think the deal is$ 1.500 us dollars for what i have listed here. odyssey equipment will sound better than equipment costing two or three times as much! if you have$ 2.000 to spend get the bulk of your stuff from odyssey spend $400 on a cd player .rotel would be a good idea for the money $100 on stands for the speakers and you would be set! when you call klaus tell him william from maryland sent you. check this stuff out you cant go wrong! sincerly william c waldecker 3rd p.s forget about nad

Well, the only person that can tell you what is right for you is, uh...you. We don't have your ears, room acoustics, or taste. What you'll need to do is go listen to as much as you can until you find what satisfies your own sensibilities.

My recommendation is to search for speakers first, then find a suitable integrated/reciever/amp to drive them, and finally pick your source (i.e. cd or universal player). Take tunes you know well and audition everything possible. I would spend at least 50% of my budget on speakers as they will have the largest influence in your rig's sound.

As far as which speakers, I've heard both good and bad things about Axiom. The good being they provide excellent bang for your buck. The bad is they can be agressive which is a sure recipe for fatigue with hard rock/metal. I want to reiterate however, only your opinion matters. Subjectivity aside, I'd avoid standmounts such as the Epiphany that only play down to 49hz (unless you're getting a sub). Look at the Von Schweikert VR-1's or Totem Rainmakers that play down to a true 40hz if you do go for standmounts. Of course, you'd be better off with some good floorstanders such as the Athena FS2's, Infinity Primus', or Polk's RTi or LSi series. All of these are very good speakers and most importantly they will ROCK, which is the exactly the point, right?

Good luck and enjoy the ride
    Hope this helps.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Forget spending a lot of $$$ now

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    I have nothing to listen to, I'm starting from scratch.
    I have no speakers, no cd player, no amp (looking for an integrated amp). I'm starting from the ground up.
    I listen to a lot of hard rock/heavy metal. I don't listen to rap very much at all, maybe only two discs in my whole collection are rap.
    System will be set up in a room approximately 12' X 24'.
    I'm looking to spend no more than $2000 ($2500 CDN).
    I've heard some good things about NAD (maybe the C352), Cambridge Audio, Axiom speakers.
    An amp with a headphone jack is a must.
    I'm in a building so I can't really crank the music.
    What kind of combination would I be best off with?
    Thanks in advance.
    You've got the right idea about the headphones. With your preference in music your not going to like ANY system you get simply because Hard Rock/Heavy Metal doesnt sound good played at low volume. If your in an apt. your stuck playing it like that. My advise is you get a modest priced DVD/CD/MP3 player ($150 or so), a decent receiver with a headphone output ($400), and a good set of headphones ($100-$250). This way you can rock out all you want, and not start WW3 with your wallmates. A set of small monitor speakers on stands would be more than enough for TV too. The idea is to save your $$$ until your in a position to be able to use the system the way you want to.

Thread Information