AR Newbie Registered Member

Split Pre amp out put to feed 2 power amps

Hi,

I have a NAD T773 receiver and a Parasound power amp. In this config, the NAD's power ampIification lies unutilised which seems to be a waste.

I intend to install a Y, RCA adapter and split the preamp out from the NAD to feed the Parasound and also feed the NAD. This would allow me to use B speakers on the NAD.

Would this damage the NAD's preamp since it now feeds 2 power amps? Would it overload the NAD's preamp?

YOur experience and input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I've used y connectoers on NAD integrated amps before, should not have any negitive effect on sound production.. and won't damage the equipment as long as you don't hook up the rca's while it's powered up.

only downside is that the levels of the 2 amps may not match, and your adding more load to the preamp line, which should drop the visible input ohms that the NAD preamp sees.. might cause some noise, it's up to your ear to tell the differance.

i am not tech by a long shot and not familiar with your receiver, but i cannot imagine how it could possibly be damaging to any of the components.

my Luxman receiver has a second set of pre-outs just for this purpose. in my current configuration, my Yamaha works precisely in this manner, serving as a fully functional receiver and supplying the Luxman via the pre-outs. in this way i bi-amp my speakers with excellent results and have never had a problem.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by aevans
    I've used y connectoers on NAD integrated amps before, should not have any negitive effect on sound production.. and won't damage the equipment as long as you don't hook up the rca's while it's powered up.

only downside is that the levels of the 2 amps may not match, and your adding more load to the preamp line, which should drop the visible input ohms that the NAD preamp sees.. might cause some noise, it's up to your ear to tell the differance.

Aevans, thanks for your reply. My Parasound output has a pot which can be adjusted to match the output when I bi amp the speakers

Aevans,

Thanks for you input. My power amp has output potentiometers which I can adjust to match the output of the NAD. This is an experiment I must try out.

Thanks

Everyone above is right in that it will not damage anything. The only problem you may run into is the pre amp may not have enough gain to properly drive your power amps. The pre amp may clip before providing enough voltage out to bring the power amps to their full output.

But you are right, give it a try. Just use some high quality Y's. Monster make some real nice ones.

Forum Regular
    I don't think you need use a y adapter.Your speaker terminals on the NAD should be hot anyway using the pre-outs or not.My cambridge works this way,bi amping is done by just running cables from preouts to amp,one set of speaker posts runs from the reciever and the second set runs from the amp.No y adapter is needed.I don't know about your NAD but this is how my Cambridge works.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I don't think you need use a y adapter.Your speaker terminals on the NAD should be hot anyway using the pre-outs or not.My cambridge works this way,bi amping is done by just running cables from preouts to amp,one set of speaker posts runs from the reciever and the second set runs from the amp.No y adapter is needed.I don't know about your NAD but this is how my Cambridge works.

bill
    the NAD's I've seen have an output loop on the back that is plugged with an rca cable of sorts if you use the internal amp. it's a little strange looking.

Forum Regular
    Yea i had a look at NAD's website and i see what you mean.All it says about it is that when using an external amp can be used to power a second zone,so the onboard amps are not disabled,unless they are disabled at the speaker posts but i dont see why they would do that.Should still work as i indicated without a y-adapter.

bill

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

You shouldn't have a problem BUT

Quote Originally Posted by stra8shuter
    Hi,

I have a NAD T773 receiver and a Parasound power amp. In this config, the NAD's power ampIification lies unutilised which seems to be a waste.

I intend to install a Y, RCA adapter and split the preamp out from the NAD to feed the Parasound and also feed the NAD. This would allow me to use B speakers on the NAD.

Would this damage the NAD's preamp since it now feeds 2 power amps? Would it overload the NAD's preamp?

YOur experience and input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Splitting the signal will lower the output impendence to the the Parasound amp. If there's an impendence mis-match (something that a guy who runs a passive pre like me knows about) then you will have a problem with rolloff of the high frequency signal. The only way to know is try it, you really cant hurt it. At worst it would sound rolled off in the treble.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information