Sony and Pass Labs team up

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-dem...fet-amplifier/

This exclusive Pass Laboratories commemorative amplifier employs complementary matched pairs (2SK82 and 2SJ28) of Sony VFETs, which were in storage for nearly 40 years.......In developing this product, Pass Laboratories utilized Sony’s highly acclaimed AR-1 reference loudspeaker, which proved to be an ideal match for the amplifier’s overall performance.

To celebrate this remarkable achievement, Sony Electronics will join with Pass Laboratories following CES in sponsoring a select number of demonstrations of this amplifier at Sony and Pass authorized dealers located throughout the U.S..
    Last edited by frenchmon; 01-09-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    Interesting project, as well as interesting historical info on Sony, like the Class D and they put out the FET amp. I noticed a couple things about the Pass amp that isn't typical, the power rating is into 4 ohms opposed to 8, and the distortion level at 2% seems a bit high for Class A.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    250 watts peak power with less than 2% distortion in Class A sounds impressive. Of course something tells me it will be out of my price range. I remember when Musical Fidelity had their Nu Vista line using those NOS miniature tubes(?). I wonder how they are holding up?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Pass already makes amps under his first watt brand using the SIT transistors but they are very low wattage units and they aren't cheap so i can guarantee a SIT amp at that power level and with this kind of press won't be cheap, but i would love to hear it!!!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I owned a Sony TA-5650 V-FET back in the day. As I recall, (it was a long time ago), it sounded very nice but this model had only 20 wpc which was low even for that day & age. I replaced it with a Phase Linear 400 after I got a pair of Ohm F speakers -- the Phase had the power but didn't necessarily sound better. (It took a long time but eventually I realized what a hideous sounding amp the PL 400 actually is.)

Whether it's sensible or not, vintage VFET models go for very high prices considering their age. No doubt the new Pass amps will be very pricey.

Nelson Pass loves to experiment with different transistor types and designs; check out his First Watt amps HERE. But he'll admit that while they all sound relatively good they also all sound different so whether you like a particular model will depend on your personal preference. I dare say the same will apply to these new, VFET amps.

Sony and Pass Labs team up-467090-sony_ta5650_vfet_integrated_amplifier.jpg

what i don't understand is that if these transistor are so good why is there no companies starting to make them again. I would love to see a Pass X/vfet amp come just to hear one knowing I probably couldn't afford it ever!!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information