Audio Enthusiast

Salvage Yard find

This weekend, I dropped off some garbage at the Trash Disposal site and noticed a Thrift Store warehouse in the complex. Out of curiosity, I went inside and discovered a huge inventory of discarded items that staff deemed wasn't yet worthy of the landfill.

Amongst the shelves of electronics, I saw what looked like a stereo amplifier.
    It was a Rotel RB951--The outside casing was scratched and it was missing the cover for the power button. On the back, it was missing a speaker binding post which is why I suspect someone discarded it.

I inquired with the staff who informed me that there is no guarantee of functionality and if I was okay with that, I could buy it. Cash, no sales tax, no delivery, and no warranty.

This is what I bought (The iTouch was for testing)

I took it home, replaced the broken speaker binding post, hooked up a pair of speakers, and powered it up. The amplifier works and works well. Gain controls, mono bridging, clipping protection are all functional. Internals were clean and no signs of abuse or misuse.

Purchase price of the amplifier was $2.00
    Replacement binding post from Radio Shack $4.49
    Preamplifier: Apt Holman Preamp 1
    Amplifier: Carver TFM 45
    Speakers: Magnaplanar SMG (1982) with Peter Gunn 1st order crossover upgrade
    Disk Player: OppoDigital DVH-71
    Turntable: SystemDek IIx Profile II tonearm, Grado Reference Platinum, Oracle Groove Isolator mat
    Phono Stage: Modified Michael Yee PFe-1

Chicago IL
    You are a lucky guy!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Clearly so much about our hobby is subjective that it's hard to come up with absolutes...

...but that's gotta be the best sub-$7 amp out there today...

Congrats on the good find.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Man totalled on the first repair! Nice catch.

Taps toes, well how does it sound? Other than sounding like a Rotel of course!
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Well done! That's a fine amp which would sell for a few hundred in good condition. Enjoy...

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Great find!
    Congrats on rescuing a nice piece.

That's a nice find.

I'll give you $18 for it. That's around 200% profit. Seems fair to me.

I'm always amazed at the disposable attitude many Americans seem to have.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Very good find, I think I would just enjoy having a good quality amp for the price of a 6 pack of beer. Hell if it were me I would take the top panel off and paint it flat black so the scratches aren't there and make it look as good as possible for cosmetic reasons and just enjoy what ever you are going to use it for. Who knows it might give your carver a run for (well I would say money but thats not fair) its ability. Rotel might surprise you compared to the carver on how rotel sounds just like people used to be surprised by adcom amps and how they sound for the money.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Very good find, I think I would just enjoy having a good quality amp for the price of a 6 pack of beer. Hell if it were me I would take the top panel off and paint it flat black so the scratches aren't there and make it look as good as possible for cosmetic reasons and just enjoy what ever you are going to use it for. Who knows it might give your carver a run for (well I would say money but thats not fair) its ability. Rotel might surprise you compared to the carver on how rotel sounds just like people used to be surprised by adcom amps and how they sound for the money.
    Harley, your reasoning is impeccable but from an audio-addicts perspective he should clearly start a second system...get some nice used KEFs or Paradigm monitors or B&W CM-1s and an old California Audio Labs tube cdp...throw that puppy in the head and duggan-time becomes a treat...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Hey Squeegy,

I think Rotel's $200 RQ-970BX phonopre comes stock with Blackgate electrolytic caps. How about this amp?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Harley, your reasoning is impeccable but from an audio-addicts perspective he should clearly start a second system...get some nice used KEFs or Paradigm monitors or B&W CM-1s and an old California Audio Labs tube cdp...throw that puppy in the head and duggan-time becomes a treat...

Good point right after I wrote that that thought came to my mind. A second system with it would be pretty cool especially if he could find some more bargain offerings to go with it and then make it a show piece of what you can do if you search around in the right places.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey Squeegy,

I think Rotel's $200 RQ-970BX phonopre comes stock with Blackgate electrolytic caps. How about this amp?
    I didn't know that. I'm now curious. I'll take a closer look at those caps to see who manufactures them.
    Turntable: SystemDek IIx Profile II tonearm, Grado Reference Platinum, Oracle Groove Isolator mat

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Some of the AudioReview folks may remember how I came to acquire the Carver.
    It is a similar story. I held a garage sale to clear out some of my projects and a gentleman bought a reciever I had repaired. He informed me that he had a nonfunctional amp that he'd be willing to give to me if I was interested. He could not tell me what was wrong with it but said it would not power up.

I went to his home the next day and picked it up. Only then did I become aware that it was the Carver TFM 45. When I got it home, I plugged it in and no lights came on. So I hooked up a source and some speakers to it and was surprised that it came to life! It wasn't dead at all, it merely had burned out light bulbs on the front panel. Without power indicator lights, the Carver appears to be dead since there are no other lights on the front panel. It was clean both inside and outside. Uncharacteristic of Carver amps from this era, there were no visible leakage in any of the capacitors. It really sounds musical with my DQ-10s since Dahlquists really respond well to large amps. When connected to my modified Magnaplanars, it takes the musicality up another step.

I searched eBay and found replacement filaments for the VU meters for a measly $11. These replacement filament bulbs require soldering which is a simple task. Good as new for less than a trip to StarBucks.

Thread Information