Rotel RB1582 Driving Klipsch RF-7

I recently purchased a brand new Rotel RB-1582, which is currently fed by a monstrous Pioneer VSX-1015TX. The Rotel in turn drives a pair of Klipsch RF-7s, while the Pioneer is set up to provide juice to a wall full of more Klipsch speakers upon demand.

The Pioneer VSX-1015TX claims 120 wpc 8 ohms into all 7 driven simultaneously, 20-20k frequency range. It makes the RF-7s sing, along with a pair of RF-25s, a pair of Heresy-II, and an RC52-II - all simultaneously.

It seems that everywhere I read, the story is repeated... yes the R-7s sound good, but give them some power and they sound better. So, I had to try it for myself (I am from the Show-Me state, after all!)... A visit to a local hi-end audiophile shop culminated in the purchase of a Rotel RB1582; they had nothing similar in stock, so I had to wait nearly two weeks for delivery to even hear the amp.

The RF-7s are rated 250 watts continuous / 1000 max; the 40-lb Rotel 1582 claims a conservative 200 WPC into 8 ohms 20-20k into both channels simultaneously. Driven by the Rotel 1582, the difference with the RF-7s is immediately noticable and definable compared to diving these speakers with the beefy Pioneer. The addition of the extra power from the Rotel allows the RF-7s to come to life and stretch their legs a bit; the overall sound is richer, fuller, more complete; Bass is tighter and snappier, less "boomy" (not that it was boomy when driven solely by the 34-lb Pioneer - it was not).

Volume is increased noticeably, presence is incredibly life-like, concert-like, yet oh so clean that = even at high volume levels - it is possible to carry on a conversation standing only 10 feet in frint of the speakers.

After extended periods of listening at high volumes, no fatigue is realized by the human ear; no tortuous ringing aftermath to plague you for hours after the fact.

Lit up as loud as I care to take them ( and I do like my music at concert levels ), the RF-7s fil the room with plenty of good clean sound. Even after extended periods, neither the amp nor the speakers seem to ever miss a beat, and the amp barely gets even slightly warm to the touch. The RF-7s sound like they are quite happy, yet they seem to exude the confidence and willinginess to take much more power than what the 200 WPC Rotel can dish out.

The Rotel RB1582 grows on me every day, so much so that I have found myself making an effort to break out some older selections to feed through my system; so far everything I have put through this combination of components sounds better than before.

As always, comments and questions are encouraged.
    One step nearer to audio nirvana...

All below in Black:
    1 pair Klipsch RF-7
    1 pair Klipsch RF-25
    1 Klipsch RC-52-II Center
    1 Klipsch RW10D 10" Powered Sub

Oiled Oak:
    1 pair Klipsch Heresy-II

The RF7s are driven by a Rotel RB-1582;
    the rest are driven quite well by a Pioneer VSX-1015tx,
    which is fed by a Sony DVP-NS55P DVD Player,
    and in turn pumps video into a 50" Sony HD LCD TV.

Monster THX Interconnects Through-Out.

Suspended
    Do you have RF7's or RF7II's? The latest Reference series is supposed to contain some trickle down tech from the Paladium series.

I have the original RF-7s.

According to the Klipsch website, the originals have a higher sensitivty 102 db, and narrower frequency response 32Hz-20kHz, while the RF-7 IIs have lower sensitivity 101 db, and have broader sensitivity, to 30-24KHz,

Also, the crossovers are changed from 2200 Hz to 1200 Hz
    One step nearer to audio nirvana...

All below in Black:
    1 pair Klipsch RF-7
    1 pair Klipsch RF-25
    1 Klipsch RC-52-II Center
    1 Klipsch RW10D 10" Powered Sub

Oiled Oak:
    1 pair Klipsch Heresy-II

The RF7s are driven by a Rotel RB-1582;
    the rest are driven quite well by a Pioneer VSX-1015tx,
    which is fed by a Sony DVP-NS55P DVD Player,
    and in turn pumps video into a 50" Sony HD LCD TV.

Monster THX Interconnects Through-Out.

Thread Information