RGA, this thread is for Simaudio 5.3i and Rita

user gallery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RGA

It's a shame so many people read watt numbers and actually pay them any attention "The RITA-880 puts out only a claimed 45Wpc at full tilt, yet it drove the power-hungry PSB Synchrony Two Bs with much greater ease than could my twice-as-powerful Simaudio Moon Classic i5.3 integrated. Even at moderate listening levels, the RITA-880 somehow managed to smoke the Sim when it came to motivating the PSBs’ woofers. When I fed the Grant-PSB combination "Jump," from Van Halen’s Best of Volume I (CD, Warner Bros. 46332-2), I was vaulted directly into the over-the-top arena-rock concerts of my well-spent youth. Want pounding drums? You got it! Want guitars so crunchy you think you’ve got a Marshall amp stack in the room? You got it! Want the enormous wall of fuzzy sound created by a 1980s synthesizer? Rock on, man! http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20081001.htm

A tube amp for people who want so called "grip" and power. I have heard $70,000 worth of Krell amps - I'd take the Rita 880 for $4K (but for the watt crazy - it is capable of 450 watts)

Perhaps this should be discussed in a different post, but I think you are comparing completely different amps here. I'll post a different thread in a moment.

JRA

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but I don't quite think your post is valid. If not, tell me I'm wrong. After all you do have more knowledge than I do.

I've always had doubts on Simaudio's lesser product lines, but 5.3i only operates in class A for the first 4-5 watts. Remaining watts are assumed to operate in class A/B.

A pair of normal bookshelf speakers (PSB Two B) was used to compare the int-amps, no significant wattage was used. Simaudio could've been operating in class A, but isn't 5.3i designed to sound better at higher wattage (It's just my guess)?
    As far as what I can tell from the net, the Rita is designed to operate in Class A to the peak output.

Have do you think?
    JRA
    Last edited by jrhymeammo; 08-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Amps that are not class A I don't consider to be high end amplifying devices. With only a couple of exceptions - Naim (and they're not my cup of tea) and digital amps (but only Meridian so far has impressed me).

Sim Audio is actually IMO one of the better sounding Solid State makers. The linked review was not my review. I did not compare it to a Sim Audio directly.

Watts are not a telling factor - the factor when discussing volume level is MORE about speaker sensitivity and efficiency and then a very distant watt rating. (There are other factors involved in what makes an efficient speaker most importantly impedance variation).

The vast majority of listening sessions for most people never require more than a few watts - especially with average 89db sensitive reasonably efficient speakers. 90DB is considered "loud" levels - and an 89db sensitive (relatively efficient speaker that doesn't have impedance drops below 3ohms) means that just 1 watt will get 89decibals at a distance of 3 feet. Average listening is between 60-75db.

What many find is that with most SS based systems one needs to turn the volume UP to make things out clearly - that's a bad sign. Compensating for a lack of resolution with higher volume doesn't work but it can mask the problem. Amplifiers are measured at their maximum volume setting and that is where "typically" SS amps perform their best and where tube amps perform their worst. However, Tube amps perform their best at low levels while SS (with a few exceptions like Pass Labs) perform their worst. It makes far more sense to measure where the amp will be used "most" of the time - low medium and loud levels (not maximum volume).

The power supply of an amplifier is more important that a watt rating. My Car's deck at $139 is rated 52 watts per channel the Grant Fidelity Rita is rated 45 watts per channel - only one of them is going to drive a tougher load home loudspeaker and it won't be the car deck.

That Reviewer for Soundstage is pretty clear - it doesn't matter if the PSB was super tough to drive - in fact it's NOT super tough to drive and that favors the Rita 880 even more so!! Consider that if the Rita can so easily outperform the Sim Audio (remember the reviewer owns the Sim Audio) on not hard to drive speakers then the Rita will REALLY kill the Sim Audio when a tough to drive speaker comes along.

Though there is zero advantage in owning a tough to drive speaker - to me it's poor loudspeaker design and greatly limits the consumer on amplifier choices. One should not be forced to buy expensive high power and thus high negative feedback amplifiers (exception Pass Labs and few others). High Negative feedback has been argued as a culprit for poor sound.

I'm not saying the Rita is the perfect amp - it's more grunt than subtle but at the price it's ridiculously good in terms of build power and it has enough of a light touch not to sound etchy.

The Soundstage review doesn't surprise me - I compared Musical Fidelity's top integrated with a 1992 Sugden A48b (a non high current class A/B 65 watt integrated). The MF sound bigger wider airier (fake) while the Sugden sounded smaller but had deeper more tuneful bass and sounded far better on vocals and that with Paradigm Studio 100V2 speakers.

I don't want to knock Sim Audio - I find a lot of their gear to be quite good - their entry level combination is better than average and if one refuses to buy Tube amps - and there are good reasons to avoid them - then Sim Audio is good stuff. but if I were to go Solid State it would be Sugden in the entry level (maybe the masterclass series though I have not heard it) and Pass Labs.

The Rita though is a balls to wall very robust integrated amp - it's bloody massive - and ship in a giant crate. This is a serious amplifier - looks like a throw back to McIntosh a bit with the big orange meters. And it runs very cool with what I gather is a proprietary technology so no one can say they don't want a tube amp because of the heat - it's cooler running than Krell - which can literally burn :-)

Thanks for the reply,
    Rita sounds like a very good unit, and I will keep that in mind.

Alot of Class A amps do have sweet sound A/B amps cannot match, especially ones with zero feedback. But there are great tube amps with Class AB. I don't really know what qualifies as "high-end", but to my ears MC-275 makes damn good high fidelity sound without Class A.

JRA

Thread Information