Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question for B.R.

B.R., I have recently discovered what a gem that little Parasound Zamp is. I know you have been a huge fan of Parasound and I was wondering what tube or tube hybrid pre-amps may have caught your ear when auditioning pre amps for your Parasound rig?

Thanks for the insight.
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

I use a Van Alstine Hybrid tube preamp with my A21. But if I had to do it over I would go with the Van Alstine T-8 plus preamp. It is cheaper and has a warmer more tubey sound. It is a great buy for a tube preamp. I have also tried his SS preamp. It sounds grerat but I prefer the combination of a tube preamp and SS amp.

avahifi - avahifi

I also have a Grant Fidelity DAC-11 which is a hybrid SS/tube preamp and DAC. It is basically a tube buffer and uses a single 6DJ8/ECC88 or a 6922 tube. I have tried it with the Parasound. It offers a nice tube like sound with a wide sound stage, great transparency, liquid midrange and deep bass if you use a Vintage 1960's Holland made Amperex tube with out the Aframe structure and with the Halo or "O" getter. The one with the small "O" getter has a warmer sound with more bass, while the version with the large O or Halo getter is less warm but more detailed. There is also a 1960's telefunken tube that is the most musical, with warmth but the vocals are more forward and it has a more agressive faster paced sound. The stock tube is ok but sounds more like a SS.

If you are on a budget, for $350 the GF is a great buy and worth every penny. Supposedly the GF benefits from a better power cord.

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    B.R., thanks for sharing all the great insight! I will certainly check out your recommendations. Today, I ordered the second Zamp and should have it in about a week or so.

My budget for an all tube pre-amp or tube/SS hybrid pre-amp is $2.5K. Of course I'd rather not spend more than necessary. I have read reviews on Mystere CA-21, Prima Luna Dialogue 3, and Dodd battery operated pre-amp. However, I have yet to audition any of these products. Anyone ever had the opportunity to listen to the Mystere, Prima Luna, or Dodd products?
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

I have not heard those preamps but I have have read other peoples opinions of all those units and they are all good. One thing about the Van Alstine gear is that there is a 30 day money back guaranty. If you don't like it, return it. There is no hassle. I know Mr. Van Alstine personally and have been to his house and reviewed his gear for him. He even let me take gear home for several days. You almost never find his T-8 preamp for sale on the used market. Check out the audio cirlces forum on ava gear-

Audio by Van Alstine

Another preamp that I have read good things about is this Vincent Hybrid Preamp-

Vincent - SA-T8 - Tube Hybrid Stereo Preamp-Audio Advisor

Audio Advisor also has a 30 day trial period.

I'm sure others here can make some recommendations.
    Last edited by blackraven; 04-03-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    After having thought about my bang for the buck successes in the $300-$400 range I went ahead and ordered the Grant Fidelity DAC-11. I have got to have some kind of benchmark to test any future pre-amp's down the road so given the overwhelming positive review of the G.F. DAC-11 and all of it's connectivity options I thought this selection was a no brainer. I will let y'all know how it works out.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Dang LeRoy...your on the move! I've heard the Mystery amps where good and a great bargan. You should put Vincent on your list....good stuff!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I have not heard those preamps but I have have read other peoples opinions of all those units and they are all good. One thing about the Van Alstine gear is that there is a 30 day money back guaranty. If you don't like it, return it. There is no hassle. I know Mr. Van Alstine personally and have been to his house and reviewed his gear for him. He even let me take gear home for several days. You almost never find his T-8 preamp for sale on the used market....
    BR, how does your Van Alstine preamp sound with your Class D Audio CDA amp? I'm very curious to know about that since I'm considering some sort of tube preamp with my SDS-258.

You're right that AVA stuff is scarce on the used market. I dream of finding used T-8+ with remote control -- I'd be all over that for anything like a reasonable price. New is beyond my financial reach unfortunately.

Feanor, The CDA sounds great with my Hybrid Ultra II plus preamp especially with my vintage Raytheon and Sylvania tubes. The T-8 has a more tubey sound and it the one that I wish I had bought. I have only heard the original T-8 which did not come with the more musical 6CG7 tubes. The newer T-8 (called the T-8 plus) comes with the 6CG7's. People really seem to love the T-8. I think it is Franks biggest seller. The T-8 has a warmer slightly darker sound, treble is good but a little more laid back than my Ultra.

I think that the T-8 would be an even better match for your SDS amp. Plus these ava preamps really respond to tube rolling. I can certainly recommend some tubes and even send you some to try.

I think that if you find a used T-8 with out a remote, that you could have the seller, send it to Frank and have him add the remote option. Give Frank a call or Email. you should also ask him to give you a call if he gets a T-8 in as a trade in. Check his used gear daily. Also check the audiocirlces used section daily.

Larry
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Great, thanks for the advice.

What was the tube for the earlier, Transcendent 8? I have a few 6922 / ECC88 /6DJ8 lying around from my former Sonic Frontiers Line 1.

Feanor, I remember now. The original T-8 as well as the original hybrid Ultra preamp and DAC use to use 6N1P tubes. 6CG7's can be used in the same socket without any changes to the electronics. The difference is that the 6CG7's are taller and you have to use spacers to raise the top cover so that the CG's will fit. The newer T-8 plus models have a lower circuit board or lower sockets to allow the CG's to fit with out having to raise the top cover. I sent in my Ultra preamp to have the sockets modded but on my Ultra DAC, I use the spacers that raises the cover about 3/8th of an inch or so. The spacers can be bought for a few dollars from digikey.com. Frank may even have some laying around, if not he can give you the part number so you can order them.

One last thing, give consideration to the Avastar preamp that recently went out of production. It is a very musical warmer preamp. It was replaced by the newer FET-Valve preamp. Steve Ford over on the AC forum just bought one used. I am sending him some C6G7's to try as he says the stock Electroharmonix tubes have too much bass with his VTL amps and Magnepan 1.7's otherwise he likes the detail and musicality of the Avastar. If he decides to sell it I will hook you up.

avahifi - AvaStar preamplifier
    Last edited by blackraven; 04-11-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Sounds good!

Forum Regular
    Well, the G.F. Dac-11 arrived one day sooner than expected. The unit arrived unscathed from it five thousand mile journey to Texas and upon first visual inspection I can find no external flaws in fit or finish. I did not expect it to be such a small unit and will have no problem making room for it on the audio stand.

I will give first impressions in a little while.....
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    First impression...I don't have one yet. I am getting signal in from the HHB CDP to the G.F. via toslink and coax. None of the three analog outputs are sending a signal as I am getting NO sound via the S.R. I.C.'s to the Quinpu integrated. I am off to the G.F. website to find trouble shooting info....stay tuned...

It's a dud. I have tried inputs A&B which are analog in and have tried swapping out the optical cable and coax...tried all three outputs again..adjusted volume on the G.F. and also on the Q....all I get is no music and a hum at 3:00.

I will be shooting an e to G.F. here in a moment.
    Last edited by LeRoy; 04-15-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Sorry to hear that it arrived DOA. Emwardo, a forum member just bought one and it arrived fine. GF should replace it. Talk to Ian Grant's wife, Rachel. Unfortunately, Ian has cancer and not in good shape I was thinking that the tube could have come loose in shipping as 1 guy reported this, but the SS out should work. One thing about GF is that they are reputable, unlike some of the other chinese companies. GF has a store in Canada. Here is the telephone number below. I called them with questions before I bought mine and talked with Rachel. Give this a try if you get no email response.

1-888-477-5379

403-251-0466
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    BR, how does your Van Alstine preamp sound with your Class D Audio CDA amp? I'm very curious to know about that since I'm considering some sort of tube preamp with my SDS-258.

You're right that AVA stuff is scarce on the used market. I dream of finding used T-8+ with remote control -- I'd be all over that for anything like a reasonable price. New is beyond my financial reach unfortunately.

Feanor, Frank has a used upgraded Super Pas three Vacuum Tube preamp, it may be worth a look. Give Frank a call.-

avahifi - Used Equipment
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Feanor, Frank has a used upgraded Super Pas three Vacuum Tube preamp, it may be worth a look. Give Frank a call.-

avahifi - Used Equipment
    Thanks, I saw that but there is no way I'm buying any preamp without remote control.

What I have done, as a matter of interest, is order GlassWare Audio's Aikido 12 VAC preamp, (HERE). I got the board, parts, and 12 VAC wallwart but not tubes for about $100 shipped.

With the 12 volt supply I ought to be able to use the various 6922/6DJ8 tubes I still have lying around. I also have connectors, etc. so there should be no more out-of-pocket.

Assuming I can get it built and working, I'll put this downstream of my remote-controlled passive Jolida preamp.Question for B.R.-glass-ware_2257_597271.gif

Forum Regular
    Sorry to hear that it arrived DOA. Here is the telephone number below. I called them with questions before I bought mine and talked with Rachel. Give this a try if you get no email response.

1-888-477-5379

403-251-0466
    Thank you Larry. I just got home for work so will be checking emails in a bit.

Update: Just checked my email and Rachel suggested that I toggle the switch to 110v. Yep, she was correct. Got the up and running, tube out, S.R. I.C.'s out to the Q. Toni Braxton/The Heat is spinning.

First impression, now into track 3, lean in the bass.

Question for Larry-

I have the HHB CDP as a transport, utilizing my BMA coax to the G.F. When the HHB is reading the disc the G.F. makes a rapid and intermittent clicking sound. Once the HHB has finished analyzing the disc the clicking on the G.F. stops. Does this also happen with your DAC-11?

Thanks!
    Last edited by LeRoy; 04-16-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: update
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

I can get a click when I am switching songs with my CD player.

Give the stock tube about 20-30hrs of burn in. But you will want to switch tubes to an early 1960's 6DJ8 Holland made amperex with out the A frame or an early 1960's Telefunken. Bass with these tubes is deep and powerful. They have a more transparent and detailed sound, almost holographic. Let me know when you are ready and I will give you some links to where you can get them at a decent price. I was not impressed with the stock 6922 tube but it does improve with burn in. The sound is better using the tube out instead of the SS out.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Hi Larry, sure, i'll take those tube links as soon as you are able to fire em off to me. Thanks!

I left the the DAC on overnight and all day today. Will be spinning some Melody Gardot in a few min.

Update: After spinning my M.G. playlist 2X I still thought the presentation was still too lean considering I left the DAC on for 20+ hours. So, first tweak was to replace the BMA Coax with the new Darwin Cable Coax. The difference was immediate yet subtle. The BMA has a tad bit of grain and the Darwin cable does not. The D.C. is a silent cable... a good match for the G.F. DAC which is also very silent in operation. With the D.C. warmed up I have a balanced presentation from top to bottom and much more fullness in the bass lines. Currently spinning Jan Garbarek, Rites.

Very cool.
    Last edited by LeRoy; 04-17-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Hi Larry, sure, i'll take those tube links as soon as you are able to fire em off to me. Thanks!

I left the the DAC on overnight and all day today. Will be spinning some Melody Gardot in a few min.

Update: After spinning my M.G. playlist 2X I still thought the presentation was still too lean considering I left the DAC on for 20+ hours. So, first tweak was to replace the BMA Coax with the new Darwin Cable Coax. The difference was immediate yet subtle. The BMA has a tad bit of grain and the Darwin cable does not. The D.C. is a silent cable... a good match for the G.F. DAC which is also very silent in operation. With the D.C. warmed up I have a balanced presentation from top to bottom and much more fullness in the bass lines. Currently spinning Jan Garbarek, Rites.

Very cool.
    Check your messages
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks Larry. I will reply via P.M.

Latest discovery about the G.F....As long as I am using analog inputs A or B, the DAC will not make any clicking sound at all. I seems that the clicking relay is for digital inputs, Coax and Toslink. Since I don't use USB for music I won't be able to verify if the clicking occurs via USB as well.

I am looking forward to upgrading the tube sooner than later.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

I have that problem on a Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC/Preamp similar to the GF. It is poor filtering and or shielding. It is a small price to pay for the performance. With the tube upgrade the performance (in both the GF and Maverick Audio) is spectacular for the price, at least in my system.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    It is a small price to pay for the performance. price, at
    Agreed. Last night, I let the Darwin analog cables run in for 3 hours before taking a spot on the listening chair. I was smiling ear to ear with the system SQ. To my ears, the Signal Cable Magic Power Cord is a better match with the G.F. + Darwin Cable I.C. There is just the right amount of warmth with the Magic P.C.

With the WW Electra + G.F. + Darwin combination I was getting some very minor sibilance with female vocals. The SQ was nevertheless very good with this combo and felt it was slightly on the cool side of neutral.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

The GF is supposed to sound better with an upgraded power cord. But wait till you upgrade the tube, you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP