AR Newbie Registered Member

pre-amp selection, please help

I am considering upgrading my pre-amp. So far I am thinking of Bryston BP25P, Moon p-3, Parasound halo P3?

My current system is Linn Genki CD, Linn Kolektor, Rega P3, Bryston 3B SST, KEF REF 3, Monster M1.4s bi-wire, Ultralink Audiophile MK2 etc.

I dont feel feel I am getting the most out of my system and feel the current pre-amp is the week link.

I have seen the moon p-3 for $1700.00 used 3years old, the Parasound for $1,000 new, Bryston $2700.00 new (all $CDN) etc.

I am a bit of a value shopper and like to get the most for the least
    $2800.00 (CDN) is probably the max budget for this but would be happy to pay less if I could get close to the performance of the more expensive choices.
    any advise or opinion would be appreciated.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James Robertson
    I am considering upgrading my pre-amp. So far I am thinking of Bryston BP25P, Moon p-3, Parasound halo P3?

My current system is Linn Genki CD, Linn Kolektor, Rega P3, Bryston 3B SST, KEF REF 3, Monster M1.4s bi-wire, Ultralink Audiophile MK2 etc.

I dont feel feel I am getting the most out of my system and feel the current pre-amp is the week link.

I have seen the moon p-3 for $1700.00 used 3years old, the Parasound for $1,000 new, Bryston $2700.00 new (all $CDN) etc.

$2800.00 (CDN) is probably the max budget for this but would be happy to pay less if I could get close to the performance of the more expensive choices.
    I've always thought that Parasound products were good buys. I think you get a lot for your $$$. The model your looking at has a headphone amp built in, and a phono input.

That being said, I like a preamp to give you the ability to use it in a passive mode. No matter how good a preamp is, it can never get better than the direct output of the source. Adcom makes a good unit the GFP-750, that has a passive setting, and will enable you to hook your outstanding Linn CD player directly into your amp with only an attenuator in the signal path.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

What don't you like about your Bryston?

It might help if we knew what you think is missing from your current system. I agree w/ Geoff that the best pre's are passive. The less between the source and speaker, the better off you are imo.

That said, I like warmer, tube-like presentations w/ my system. You might try ARC, Cary, ASL, BAT or something similiar and see how it works with your Bryston amp. My guess is the change in sound would be dramatic. However, without knowing what you're looking for this could be easily be the wrong direction for you.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well if you want that beaming analytical presentation I'd stay with the Bryston...these words are not meant as a knock because MANY people WANT this sound. If you're looking for a slightly mellower or sweeter top end then tube options are abound - but also note many tube preamps today measure just as flat as SS...Stereophile reviewed one recently and it issupposedly flatter than many SS units.

I would like to hear the sugden Hedmaster preamp headphone amp because Sugden is one of the few SS amp makers that don't posess the SS grain...it is about $1300.00 Cdn (includes remote) and available at Plurison in Canada I believe. I am looking for one used as a two fold upgrade over my ASL headphone amp and also an upgrade to the integrated.

If headphones are not your bag you may want to go another route for extended preamp features. There are simply too many variables and preferably you should take it home to try.

Buying used will have your dollar go way further - I would not buy a new preamp if it is widely available since you could probably get one 40-70% cheaper on the used market...and if you choose a good one it will probably lat 40-50 years hardly making the warranty matter anyway.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Linn

What is it about the Linn that you don't like?
    Quote Originally Posted by James Robertson

Thread Information