Thread: preamp

AR Newbie Registered Member

preamp

I just got willed a shanling mc30 cd-amp&vincemnt sa3 preamp.the shanling has no line level out ,can i hook up the vincent as the pre without hurting anything & use the vincent for volume control? the shanling is only 3 w-per channel-do i need VERY efficient speakers?

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    What exactly are you looking to accomplish ? The Shanling is fully integrated and has its own volume control. All you need to do is connect very efficient speakers. By inserting the Vincent pre, all you will be doing is adding unnecessary circuitry and connections into the audio chain. If you're just looking to use the CD player portion of the Shanling, IMO its better to sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, and put the money towards the purchase of a dedicated CD player.

Suspended
    Nice, it listed for $995 when it was reviewed by Stereophile.

Some suggestions on speakers in the review comments.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007/011007shanling/

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Have a look at these. Email them with your amp info and they can suggest the perfect model...http://www.tektondesign.com/loudspeakers.htm

Suspended
    The Shanling is a "all-in-one" system. It has a preamp, power amp, CD & tuner, it and the Vincent should not be connected. True it is only 3 watts SET and you will need some efficient speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heritage/ Klipsch may have more efficient models but none that sound better, except for maybe the Palladium which are megabucks.

The Vincent could be the beginning of another system.

Quote Originally Posted by blvdman
    I just got willed a shanling mc30 cd-amp&vincemnt sa3 preamp.the shanling has no line level out ,can i hook up the vincent as the pre without hurting anything & use the vincent for volume control? the shanling is only 3 w-per channel-do i need VERY efficient speakers?
    When you say "got willed" what does that mean? Some body gave it to you?

Oh and If it where me, I'd put the Shanling in the bedroom and get the Vincent Hybrid amp that goes with the preamp. I did hear the Vincent Hybrid amp connected to a Parasound Halo preamp and Galo speakers and it was not bad at all.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    When you say "got willed" what does that mean?
    Somebody passed away, and left it to him by means of a will.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Somebody passed away, and left it to him by means of a will.
    And here I thought Gandalf conjured them up for him.

Forum Regular
    Low price
    Wild Burro Audio Lab Betsy - $100 easy DIY with one sheet of plywood ( 93 db sensitivity ) - I'm enjoying Getz on mine right now.

Mid price
    Tekton 8.1 - $440 ( 97 db sensitivity - wow! ) Fine Fostex driver in gorgeous cabinets. Give Eric a phone call.

Higher price
    Hornshoppe Horns - $850 ( 93+db sensitivity but with 3 watts can play louder than you can stand. Read Art Dudley's review in Stereophile or read the owner's praise here at Audio Review. Stunning small rear loaded horn design. Call Ed he'd love to talk with you.

These are all wonderful full range speakers without power/sound sucking crossovers. If you haven't heard a good full range driver you're in for a treat. The SET and full ranger is a marriage made in heaven. Sorry but I'm too lazy to show the links.

Suspended
    If I remember correctly our old long lost buddy Bernd had that Shanling piece matched with those $850.00 horns.

Thread Information