Thread: Pre Amp Kit ?

Pre Amp Kit ?

Some time in the next 2-4 months I'm going to buy a digital amp kit and a preamp kit. I was wanting to get some opinions on these preamp kits. Which one would you buy and why-

These are chinese copies of the following tube preamps-

Cary SLP-90
    Marantz-7
    Jadis JP-200
    ARC SP-10
    C.J.PV-12
    Macintosh C22

http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/t.../28/Categories

I'm sure that these kits don't use the same high quality parts but for the price its worth a try for a second system or a system for my son. My other option is to go with one of the cheap tube preamps from Pacific Valve or something similar

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/

Here's an interesting review of older Preamps that I found while doing some research on some of the preamps mentioned above-

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Preamplifiers.html

Thanks,
    Larry
    Last edited by blackraven; 09-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Some time in the next 2-4 months I'm going to buy a digital amp kit and a preamp kit. I was wanting to get some opinions on these preamp kits. Which one would you buy and why-

Cary SLP-90
    Marantz-7
    Jadis JP-200
    ARC SP-10
    C.J.PV-12
    Macintosh C22

I'm sure that these kits don't use the same high quality parts but for the price its worth a try for a second system or a system for my son. My other option is to go with one of the cheap tube preamps from Pacific Valve or something similar

Thanks,
    Larry
    Good question, BR.

You'll recall some recent discussion in Manlystanley's recent thread, HERE. The manly one began by looking at some interesting stuff from AnalogMetric, HERE. By the sound of it, he ended up going with a kit from Glass-Ware Audio, HERE.

There are a couple of other purveyors of preamp kits from China; mostly they are easily accessible through eBay. 8Audio is on eBay too, and here a fews others I've been checking out.
    In most cases quality could be improved by substituting higher quality for the provided capacitors in the direct signal path.

I will very likely to build a preamp in the near future, mostly for fun, but definitely keeping low cost a major consideration.

Of the above eBay sellers I'm most intrigued by DIY Gene who seems to have not only the biggest selection of complete preamps, but also the best prices (seemingly, depending on quality which I haven't determined).

Personally I'm thinking I'll start with a passive preamp based on one of DIY Gene's combined remote controll selector and volume control unit, HERE. I'll build my own case, although the remote plus active preamp componentes would fit nicely in THIS case, designed to accomodate them, from the same source.
    Last edited by Feanor; 09-08-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven

Cary SLP-90
    Marantz-7
    Jadis JP-200
    ARC SP-10
    C.J.PV-12
    Macintosh C22

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/

Here's an interesting review of older Preamps that I found while doing some research on some of the preamps mentioned above-

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Preamplifiers.html

Thanks,
    Larry
    Hello Larry,
    Everything that I've read about the Chinese knockoffs is:

-- Quality really varies. It's most important to get a good dealer.
    -- The sound (from what I've read) is very good.
    -- Price is good as well.
    -- They're are multiple questions about if they are ripping of real companies by copying there design.
    -- It's a risk. Not a lot of people have built them.
    -- No long term survival data.

-- I currently plan on going with an Akidio based design from glass-ware. DIYaudio.com has been a great help to me. But who knows, I might change my mind.

-- There is a very limited amount of information as to which of the Chinese knockoffs are the best. It is my, very *uneducated* opinion, that 8aduio ( www.8audio.com ) is one of the better ones.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 09-08-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

I'm starting to purchase various parts for my Aikido preamp. I'm going to be getting the 5687:

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aiam56stkit.html

The Chinese imports do sound promising, but you have no/limited control of the components used. I've checked out the Aikido's parts and they are medium grade audiophile, at an exceptional price.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Just sent in the order for the Aikido preamp kit along with a separate power supply board. Total price was $250 I got:

-- ps3 Power supply.
    -- Aikido board.
    -- Four set of tubes (so that I can roll new tubes )
    -- Two 5687
    -- Two EH 12BH7 Vacuum Tubes
    -- Two Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 tubes
    -- Two JJ ECC802S tubes
    -- All the possible options for audio grade resisters, audio capacitors, etc, etc.

I found that that the parts that I could get optional with the kit are 1/3 less as compared to buying them separately (when considering shipping costs as well). So, I got all possible options now so that I can try out different things. I know that I'll want to play around with customizing as soon as I get the base model up.

This will be fun right off the bat trying out different: resisters and capacitors vendors/values, types of tubes, etc.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 09-14-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Thread Information