Playback's amp reviews

Of interest to many will be Playback magazine's joint review of no fewer than ten sub-$1500 integrated amps by Steve Guttenburg ...
    http://magazine.playbackmag.net/play...804/?folio=192

These amps were reviewed:
    • Cambridge 740A -- Recommended: mids, soundstage, value
    • Cayin QA-50T -- Recommended: mids, soundstage, value
    • Creek Evolution
    • NAD C355BEE
    • NuForce IA-7 V2 -- bass, top score for soundstage
    • Onkyo A-9555
    • Primaluna Prologue One -- Recommended: mids, soundstage, value
    • Rega Mira 3
    • Rotel RA1062
    • Vincent SV-226 MkII -- Recommended: mids, soundstage, dynamics

Ajani
    Thanks for the link!!!! I'm a little disapointed with Playback since I'm signed up to receive e-mails when the mag comes out but I didn't get one... Anyway, it should be a good read and I love the choice of amps...

Ajani
    Ok, I finished reading the reviews... One interesting point to note is that it seems that the reviewer has a clear preference for tubes, given that of the 4 recommended amps; 2 were tubes and 1 was a hybrid. Further, the 2 tubes and 1 hybrid were the only tubes and hybrids tested... lol

Anyway, it was a good read and I liked the rating scaled used. Having a pseudo-shootout in a review feels very European. Hopefully some more North American Mags will copy the idea.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Ok, I finished reading the reviews... One interesting point to note is that it seems that the reviewer has a clear preference for tubes, given that of the 4 recommended amps; 2 were tubes and 1 was a hybrid. Further, the 2 tubes and 1 hybrid were the only tubes and hybrids tested... lol

Anyway, it was a good read and I liked the rating scaled used. Having a pseudo-shootout in a review feels very European. Hopefully some more North American Mags will copy the idea.
    I think this is of far more practical value for most people than the TAS or Stereophile approach -- or the Hi-Fi + approach, albeit the last is European.

I do love head-to-head comparisions. And I do like affordable equipment reviews. I don't really mind that individual product write-ups are short provided the score criteria are sensible and clearly explained.

Analysis - if not necessarily listening time - is less in these multi-unit comparisons than in TAS or 'Phile reviews. However their long-windedness can be very tedious, especially when so much of the verbiage is just personal reminiscences and anecdotes. Do their writers have literary pretensions? If so, let them try to get jobs with New Yorker or the like, and leave us alone with our philistine concerns.

One the subject of so many very high-end equipment reviews, the usual appologies offered are:
    • "I'm wealthy equipment snob and this is the kind of stuff I buy." To this I say, bully for you!
    • "It's fun to read about SOTA equipment even if I can't it". To which I say, sure, but not to the exclusion of the stuff I might afford.
    Last edited by Feanor; 04-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Great site and review. I've always wondered about the Vincent amps. They have a sub $1500 hybrid power amp as well that is supposed to be a great buy with very good sound. Its too bad there are no dealers in this area.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I think this is of far more practical value for most people than the TAS or Stereophile approach -- or the Hi-Fi + approach, albeit the last is European.

I do love head-to-head comparisions. And I do like affordable equipment reviews. I don't really mind that individual product write-ups are short provided the score criteria are sensible and clearly explained.
    If only more magazines would do affordable equipment reviews. Why not just do reviews of affordable, moderately priced, expensive and ultra-ridiculously priced gear each issue? How hard would it really be for these mags to have regular price variety in each issue?

Analysis - if not necessarily listening time - is less in these multi-unit comparisons than in TAS or 'Phile reviews. However their long-windedness can be very tedious, especially when so much of the verbiage is just person reminiscences and anecdotes. Do their writers have literary pretensions? If so, let them try to get jobs with New Yorker or the like, and leave us alone with our philistine concerns.
    I normally skip over the parts when the reviewer starts to describe some obscure musical reference. I don't mind long reviews if they are detailed and descriptive of the sonic qualities, features and reliabilty of a product, but if I wanted to read a music review or poetry I'd look elsewhere.

One the subject of so many very high-end equipment reviews, the usual appologies offered are:
    • "I'm wealthy equipment snob and this is the kind of stuff I buy." To this I say, bully for you!
    • "It's fun to read about SOTA equipment even if I can't it". To which I say, sure, but not to the exclusion of the stuff I might afford.
    Agreed. I have no problem with reviews of dream gear. But I think most reviews should concentrate on affordable gear, since that's what most of the readers will actually be purchasing.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    An entertaining read.

I've heard only 3 of the models discussed, but I had pretty much polar opposite impressions. Whatever that's worth.

Love the subtle inclusion of the LP rhetoric at CD's expense.

I found about 1/3 of the positive comments were based on looks. Let's face it - looks count too.

I'd love to see more write-ups like this - especially some head-to-head, good ol' fashioned this vs that comparative analysis. Don't hold back! Be mean.

Nice to see so many amps included in one article though, usually it's a lengthy account of 1 or 2 models that tends to lose my interest.

Thanks Feanor.

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Great site and review. I've always wondered about the Vincent amps. They have a sub $1500 hybrid power amp as well that is supposed to be a great buy with very good sound. Its too bad there are no dealers in this area.
    If I had to choose from amist this lot, I'd choose the Vincent based on sound and also ample power for my Maggies. The Class D NuForce I'd forgo even though I'm a lover of transparency, (i.e. soundstage in the article's parlance). My former Bel Canto eVo Gen II "digital" had teriffic transparency but I prefer my present Monarchys overall, (rather tube-like, I suppose).

You can get the Vincent from Audio Advisor if you're willing to buy online.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    What I find intersting is that some of the amps featured that did not do well in this test has scored higher in other tests. Looking at British audio magazines I checked their list of recommended components and while one prasied a piece of kit the next would find fault. The Cambridge A740 was recommended in this test but Stereophile found it cold sounding. I wish they had included the Exposure 2010S. I have found a local dealer that sells the Simaudio Moon i3. The only criticism I have for the Onkyo A9555 is I would like a little better soundstage. Tonal balance is great, definition is wonderful and timing is good. I only want a little more depth, more three dimensionality and a bit more sepreation between musicians.

Of course I may have the speakers too close to the rear wall to have what I want. A home trial of the amp may give me what I need. I just want a little more holographic soundstage.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    What I find intersting is that some of the amps featured that did not do well in this test has scored higher in other tests. Looking at British audio magazines I checked their list of recommended components and while one prasied a piece of kit the next would find fault. The Cambridge A740 was recommended in this test but Stereophile found it cold sounding. I wish they had included the Exposure 2010S. I have found a local dealer that sells the Simaudio Moon i3. The only criticism I have for the Onkyo A9555 is I would like a little better soundstage. Tonal balance is great, definition is wonderful and timing is good. I only want a little more depth, more three dimensionality and a bit more sepreation between musicians.

Of course I may have the speakers too close to the rear wall to have what I want. A home trial of the amp may give me what I need. I just want a little more holographic soundstage.
    2 things:

1st - As much as I love reading reviews, the inconsistency in ratings between one mag and the next really shows why auditioning is so key. Actually even between reviewers in the same mag, there can me major disagreement on whether to recommend a product. So if a different Stereophile reviewer had reviewed the Cambridge Audio, it might have received a Class B or maybe even A rating.

2nd - Keep in mind that all the amps in playback's group test were regarded as good... there were no bad scores.

Thread Information