Forum Regular

Audio Research VT 100 enough power?

Has anyone tried to use an Audio Research VT 100 (basic first model) with an inefficient hard to drive speaker and had good results? I know sometimes tube amps can surprise you and sometimes can do a really good job on low eff. speakers and sometimes fall apart. If not mark1 then mark II or III? I can get a really good deal on one and was hoping I could use it on my Dynaudios.

Thanks

ARC builds quality amps and they don't skimp on parts. I've heard them drive Thiels without any sign of strain so I'm sure they can drive your Danes without a hitch. As long as you don't like to rattle the windows all the time, you should be fine. If not, don't worry. ARC's are well known and easy to resell on audiogon.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood
    Has anyone tried to use an Audio Research VT 100 (basic first model) with an inefficient hard to drive speaker and had good results?
    I used one for a couple of years with my full range electrostats that presented a challenging reactive load to the amp. Within their power range, they worked very well. I have used ARC components of one sort or another for over twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood
    If not mark1 then mark II or III? I can get a really good deal on one and was hoping I could use it on my Dynaudios.
    I purchased mine used as a MK I and later sent it home to Minnesota for the MK II update. It greatly stiffened the power supply, updated some parts with better ones, and added a small fan. A MK II is proabably going to give you the best bang for your buck. The MK III version replaced the 6922 input stages with a JFET and 6H30s. Though I haven't heard the latest version, some complain that it is even leaner sounding that the MK II.

rw

Forum Regular
    I think I'll give one a try.

Many thanks

Suspended
    I'm not sure what generation this was but I listened to a VT-100 drive a pair of Martin Logan Requests. It drove them very well and the sound was great. I was amazed a tube amp would drive the Requests that well. I have only heard Dyn's with solid state amps. It would be interesting to hear a pair with the AR. I would have no hesitation using the VT-100 if you have Audience or newer Contour. I would have to try before buying if I had certain older Contour or Confidence series.

Thread Information