Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinging Sir T

Pinging Sir T

Apparently, John Curl doesn't remember your Onkyo amp mod.

Click here.

rw

nightflier
    Just a minute while I grab a bag of popcorn and take a seat....

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I did my best to jog his memory...

rw

Surely there must be more than one John Curl. Maybe a neighbor or a friend?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I did my best to jog his memory...

rw
    I guess you did

However you would have done better by mentioning a particular name, a particular event in a particular year. You would have gotten just a bit more information than just "wrong person"

Nice try though, here is a brownie.

So much for gotcha postings.....
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I hope you choke on that popcorn. Hopefully it would make it the last bag you have.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    So much for gotcha postings.....
    Apparently, the amps were not particularly memorable to him. I was really curious as to what he would say.

rw

Have you tried puffed corn? It's popcorn without the shells and hulls. It's quite addictive. I've got my bag and I'm munching and waiting!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

nightflier
    Well lil't is still working up to an explanation, so I think I have time to go to the store and get some puffed corn. Thanks for the tip.

...and my beer is Grolsch, so I can save it for when I get back, lol.

...and my beer is Grolsch, so I can save it for when I get back, lol.
    I thought Americans only drank Budweiser and Coors Light

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur

Most of us have switched to hand crafted micro brewery beers. Of course to me wine is always my first choice and I will be making a lot of first choices later today.

Oh and I have cheesey balls for a snack.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Most of us have switched to hand crafted micro brewery beers. Of course to me wine is always my first choice and I will be making a lot of first choices later today.

Oh and I have cheesey balls for a snack.
    TMI my friend. TMI.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Somebody give me something to throw at him.

nightflier

Beer and Audio

Never underestimate the quality of a good import. Maybe it's just my current bias, but most everything that comes from the Netherlands is at least audition-worthy, no?

Never underestimate the quality of a good import. Maybe it's just my current bias, but most everything that comes from the Netherlands is at least audition-worthy, no?
    An audition or a tasting? I myself am no big fan of Dutch beers, then again I only know the 'commercial' brews, Grolsch Heineken and Amstel to name a few. They're just the basic lager, nothing special. I do however enjoy every now and then Belgian beers, commercial or otherwise, but they are usually a lot heavier and have a disitinctive taste. Not something you want to have with a meal.... They are better had as an aperitif (pre dinner drink) with salty snacks.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Somebody give me something to throw at him.
    Didn't mean to cause a stir

If you are talking about their women, then h.ll yes! The audition lines start here.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

aa, have you just discovered Chimay? I was introduced to it about 10 years ago. Since then I buy it regularly. I also have four of those gold trimmed glasses.
    Phila. is a good beer town. There are two bars that have Chimay on tap. Many bars take pride in the large variety of "good" beers they carry. I bought the glasses in a beer paraphernalia store on South St.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

nightflier
    Ah, yes, and then there's the Dutch women...

Not to mention the more progressive take on just about everything from alcohol, drugs to... well you get the idea. My take on the country? Quite plainly: it's my favorite country to visit - people just seem to enjoy life more. Compared to the Belgians, the Brits, the French, the Spanish, and just about every other Western European country, there just seems to be more rejoicing in that little rainy corner of the continent. I also think this is reflected in the quality of the audio equipment that they produce. And it's one country that knows how to party; just ask Worf what he thought of his vacation there last summer.

AA, yes Chimay is a fine beer, but I'm still a fan of traditional Grolsch, the best balanced beer IMO. Amstel is just a notch above Orangeboom and the rest of the "export-focussed" stuff. But get yourself some Christoffel Bier and that will grow some hair on your chest! If that's too rich for ya, maybe something like Leeuw Beer might be more to your taste, although that's a bit too sweet for my palate. Heineken is barely passable with little character these days, but there was a time when it was better. Now that they've bought out everyone who competed with them, they aren't exactly well regarded in a country that idealizes the little guys (after all it's a small country, too).

By the way, you only have to be 16 years old to buy beer there, before you can register for the army or drive a car. How's that for progressive?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    aa, have you just discovered Chimay?
    What would make you think that? Chimay is something you can buy off the shelf at the local grocery shop here, so I guess I really discovered it (taste wise) a few years back thanks to my best buddy suggesting it to me, who so happens to be from Belgium. I'm only 22 but I started appreciating beer about 7 years ago so I do have a few favourites.
    American beers however, I haven't a clue about You'll have to initiate me!

There are some of us who do prefer Coors Light when we choose to drink beer. I've had countless different Asian, European, Australian and American lagers and indeed there are countless having more "character". Micro breweries abound here in the states. I drink beer more as a thirst quencher and prefer a cold, light approach. While on a skiing trip in Colorado, I stopped by their main facility in Golden for a free tour. It is the largest single beer brewing facility in the world. They generate their own power and provide it free to a nearby college. They pioneered the use of recyclable aluminum cans back in 1959 and have always focused on delivering the product fresh and cold.

I turn to single malt scotch when I'm in a sippin' mood and want a distinctive flavor. Say Glenfarclas, Laphroaig, or Bruichladdich.

rw

Ah, yes, and then there's the Dutch women...

You're saying you can't get this in sunny Cali? I've seen some pretty hot babes in the US...

By the way, you only have to be 16 years old to buy beer there, before you can register for the army or drive a car. How's that for progressive?
    When I was 13, my mom told me to go buy some beer at the local grocery store. I had no problems bringing home a 24 pack

nightflier

Yes but....

You're saying you can't get this in sunny Cali? I've seen some pretty hot babes in the US...
    Certainly, but if you ask for her number, she will either respond quoting the Bible or ask what kind of car you drive. In the Netherlands, you don't get dissed when you tell them it's a bicycle.

Certainly, but if you ask for her number, she will either respond quoting the Bible or ask what kind of car you drive. In the Netherlands, you don't get dissed when you tell them it's a bicycle.

Haha, interesting point!

Not to mention the more progressive take on just about everything from alcohol, drugs to... well you get the idea. My take on the country? Quite plainly: it's my favorite country to visit - people just seem to enjoy life more. Compared to the Belgians, the Brits, the French, the Spanish, and just about every other Western European country, there just seems to be more rejoicing in that little rainy corner of the continent. I also think this is reflected in the quality of the audio equipment that they produce. And it's one country that knows how to party; just ask Worf what he thought of his vacation there last summer.
    I agree. The French are unpleasent and even snotty sometimes (I know I was raised there). I find the Brits to be a lot more pleasant and helpful in general. The Italiens are often refered to as 'happy french'. And the spanish... I like. Ive yet to visit the Netherlands but one of my good friends now lives in Amsterdam so I probably should pay him a visit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information