Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pass Labs X250

You may find the added texture of tubes a bit more enjoyable as well as a more plesant tubed mid-range. I find tubed mid-range is hard to beat with SS....but thats just my opinion. Raven...like I once mentioned to Peabody, tube lovers gotta have tubes in the chain some place....just don't seem right without them.
    blackraven likes this.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    You may find the added texture of tubes a bit more enjoyable as well as a more plesant tubed mid-range. I find tubed mid-range is hard to beat with SS....but thats just my opinion. Raven...like I once mentioned to Peabody, tube lovers gotta have tubes in the chain some place....just don't seem right without them.

Thats why I like my tube Preamp and tube DAC.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

OTOH I never missed my former tube preamp.

So, do you subscribe to the theory that tubes in the repro chain, e.g. a tube preamp, can mask defects elsewhere in the chain, e.g. in the power amp?

My theory is that they can. However Morricab at Audio Asylum articulately insists that masking doesn't happen, and that the only real solution is to remove disagreeable sound at source. In the above example according to him, one must change the power amp if it is the source of the problem.

Suspended
    I may be thinking of the wrong use of "mask" but tubes don't necessarily mask anything. I've heard tube gear that can be as revealing as solid state. Certain tube gear can change the presentation or maybe even the sonic balance but if it's quality tube gear nothing should be masked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I may be thinking of the wrong use of "mask" but tubes don't necessarily mask anything. I've heard tube gear that can be as revealing as solid state. Certain tube gear can change the presentation or maybe even the sonic balance but if it's quality tube gear nothing should be masked.
    To clarify what I mean by "mask", I don't mean to imply that the tubes veil the sound in perceptible way. Rather my hypothesis is, specifically, that the relatively high 2nd and/or 3rd order harmonic distortion produced by tubes, which is inoffensive, masks the irritating higher order harmonic distortion that is typical of solid state because of the use of negative feedback in s/s devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    To clarify what I mean by "mask", I don't mean to imply that the tubes veil the sound in perceptible way. Rather my hypothesis is, specifically, that the relatively high 2nd and/or 3rd order harmonic distortion produced by tubes, which is inoffensive, masks the irritating higher order harmonic distortion that is typical of solid state because of the use of negative feedback in s/s devices.
    What difference does it make as long as it sounds good? Every speaker and just about every piece of gear sounds different. And recorded music sounds different than if you were listening in the studio.
    Last edited by blackraven; 10-20-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

It has been my experience, the opposite with a very good tube rig. IF you have good tubes, in your amp/preamp, they should be very clear and transparent. IF so they will let you hear the grain in your inferior SS in the chain. The better the tube/SS and the amp/preamp/integrated is, the more reveling it will be...and thus, your inferior CD's and records will be exposed as well. I find a good tube tells the truth.

When played at louder levels, my NOS tubes have exposed my $600 phono stage as having grain. Some time next year I will have to bring it up to speed as my other gear. But I only discovered it when I went to a expensive KOBE TEN tube. I had no idea what the issue was until I asked around. My amp/preamp is transparent and will let the sound of my sources pass through. My Rotel had a very strong house sound that imparted its character upon my CDP. Not so with the Vincent. I remember I had a Bel Canto DAC/preamp that also let me hear my CDP, but not the Rotel.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

It has been my experience, the opposite with a very good tube rig. IF you have good tubes, in your amp/preamp, they should be very clear and transparent. IF so they will let you hear the grain in your inferior SS in the chain. The better the tube/SS and the amp/preamp/integrated is, the more reveling it will be...and thus, your inferior CD's and records will be exposed as well. I find a good tube tells the truth.
    No question that the better the amp/preamp, the more clear & more transparent the sound.

But I don't think that what you're saying doesn't conflicts with the idea that the tube distortion profile (let's call it) of the tube preamp "masks" the less agreeable distortion profile of the power amp.

Suspended
    I think we are all on the same page but differing on terminology. I have found with tube gear like Octave Audio and solid state like Pass that a very enjoyable sound can be achieved via both technologies with no loss. Acknowledging audio is subjective and tastes may vary .
    No question that the better the amp/preamp, the more clear & more transparent the sound.

But I don't think that what you're saying doesn't conflicts with the idea that the tube distortion profile (let's call it) of the tube preamp "masks" the less agreefffffable distortion profile of the power amp.
    ffff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information