Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pass Labs Purchase

Suspended
    If the X1 is like the XP10 the unit will need at least 24 hours of being plugged in to settle into the way it's supposed to sound. One draw back to the pass preamp you can't just unplug them and do direct comparisons to other preamps. If unplugged you are back to the beginning of that warm up period again.

Just curious if I am the only Pass owner who notices any change in sound once the power amp warms up a bit. Try playing an album and once it's over go back to the first track to see if you notice any difference. I hear the sound stage open up more and a bit more warmth.

The Pass has a lot of resolution and transparency, in addition to excellent micro/macro dynamics which puts it ahead of a lot of solid state but that euphoric feel of tubes isn't going to be there. It's hard to describe the difference but I am satisfied with the Pass presentation, it puts me some where between my CJ and Krell systems, I'd think of it as a sweet spot

I hope the X1 brings the tremendous improvement in sound as the X250 did. It was mailed out today. If it does, I can't really see buying any other gear except for an upgrade in my DAC or a used high end SACD player.

Here is a nice review on the X1-

http://www.masteringmansion.com/comm...eviewd_247.pdf
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If the X1 is like the XP10 the unit will need at least 24 hours of being plugged in to settle into the way it's supposed to sound. One draw back to the pass preamp you can't just unplug them and do direct comparisons to other preamps. If unplugged you are back to the beginning of that warm up period again.

Just curious if I am the only Pass owner who notices any change in sound once the power amp warms up a bit. Try playing an album and once it's over go back to the first track to see if you notice any difference. I hear the sound stage open up more and a bit more warmth.

The Pass has a lot of resolution and transparency, in addition to excellent micro/macro dynamics which puts it ahead of a lot of solid state but that euphoric feel of tubes isn't going to be there. It's hard to describe the difference but I am satisfied with the Pass presentation, it puts me some where between my CJ and Krell systems, I'd think of it as a sweet spot
    No, you aren't the only one who notices a warm up period with the Pass. My X150.5 takes 30-40 minutes to reach maximum airiness and sweetness. According to the manual, best performance takes an hour of warm up and I won't argue with that. I think most s/s amps take some time to warm up; even my Class D Audio SDS258 took about 10 minutes or so; my Monarchy SM-70 Pro's about 20 minutes.

I think we are agreed on the sound characteristics of the Pass Lab amps, (though I've only heard the X150.5). Versus the range of mostly modest amps I've owned, the Pass provides a higher level of realism both in transparency and dynamics. At the same time it doesn't try to "improve" the sound or compensate for less than excellent recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Frenchmon, I still have tubes in my DAC. I really wanted a nice BAT, tubed CJ or Atma Sphere MP3 preamp but the models that I want are a little over my budget. From every thing that I have read the X1 is very tube like. If I don't like it I will be able to sell it for what I paid for it. There is a guy on the Audiocircles forum that has an X1 with Van Alstine gear that I have been talking with and that are his impressions. Last night I called the seller of my X1 and talked with him about 30 minutes. He feels the same way about the X1. He bought an ARC LS26 (which was on my short list too) and he states the 2 preamps sound very similar.
    Well in all actuality, truth be told, in my opinion.... IF you got the X1 that possibly is the best thing for you because you would have an all Pass Labs unit. It would be designed by the same person and you would then get your music as Pass Labs designed it thus that synergy that you would not get with another brand. Peabody has a certain synergy due to an all Pass amp/preamp.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post

Peabody.....Its nothing new for SS to sound its best after being warmed up. Even my Rotel amp sounded best after playing about 40 minutes.

Those CJ Power amps you had.....man those where the stuff. Those babies had some drive like I've never heard before or even till now....too bad you don't still have those...those where one of a kind. I mean, no body has mono blocks like that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I hope the X1 brings the tremendous improvement in sound as the X250 did. It was mailed out today. If it does, I can't really see buying any other gear except for an upgrade in my DAC or a used high end SACD player.

Here is a nice review on the X1-

http://www.masteringmansion.com/comm...eviewd_247.pdf
    I think you are going to be surprised at what you hear! That synergy thing working together! Thats a very nice two box preamp!

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well in all actuality, truth be told, in my opinion.... IF you got the X1 that possibly is the best thing for you because you would have an all Pass Labs unit. It would be designed by the same person and you would then get your music as Pass Labs designed it thus that synergy that you would not get with another brand. Peabody has a certain synergy due to an all Pass amp/preamp.
    Are you sure that the Amp and Preamp are designed by the same person? I don't think I ever heard that. I could see two design teams working together or something like that.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Peabody.....Its nothing new for SS to sound its best after being warmed up. Even my Rotel amp sounded best after playing about 40 minutes.

Those CJ Power amps you had.....man those where the stuff. Those babies had some drive like I've never heard before or even till now....too bad you don't still have those...those where one of a kind. I mean, no body has mono blocks like that.
    Why did Mr. P get rid of his CJ gear? He was doing a lot of changing of gear and I can't remember what made him change.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Are you sure that the Amp and Preamp are designed by the same person? I don't think I ever heard that. I could see two design teams working together or something like that.
    I assumed Nelson Pass or who ever, Had a hugh part in the designs of every amp/preamp with his name on the front....unlike Levinson amps, that really has nothing to do with Mark Levinson any more. But Pass....I think they have their own gear in mind when they design different components....the same with all audio companies I assume.

Why did Mr. P get rid of his CJ gear? He was doing a lot of changing of gear and I can't remember what made him change.
    I really can't speak for Peabody, but I think he wanted a more neutral open sound.

How long before your new amp?

Jack, you are right. Nelson Pass did not design the X1. I believe it was the Vice President of the company and head of engineering that did. It still uses Super Symmetry design and Class A power as the X250. I should have the X1 Friday afternoon. I have been buying a lot of reference CD's and Hybrid SACD's in anticipation of the X1.

I already have 2 guys interested in buying my Van Alstine pre.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    The real reason for the power amp switch was buying the F52's, I noticed from hearing my friend's Revels that although the CJ amps were good the F52's liked some current. It was one of those things where you change a component and end up with a ripple effect through the system. After deciding to switch it was an expensive and some what frustrating time to finally get back to a point of satisfaction.

Whether all components are designed by one man or by teams if they are working on one brand it would seem logical to make the same brand components work best with one another and have good synergy. I looked at some reviews and such but didn't find any mention of actual designer. Here's a review just for fun.
    Pass Labs XP-10 Stereo Preamplifier - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, my be even on the Pass Labs website, Nelson Pass saying that he had not designed their preamps; he named a designer whose name I don't recall.

In any case I've no doubt that the preamps are up to standard defined by Pass himself.

I really can't speak for Peabody, but I think he wanted a more neutral open sound.

How long before your new amp?
    Maybe the CJ was a little too warm and syrupy with the Revels. I just can't remember for sure. He had gone from the Dynaudio, to the Zu's and then the Revel's if I remember right.

Mark at Reno HiFi emailed me today and said the X150.5 is back from the demo. It is packed up and sitting on the loading dock waiting for the UPS truck to pick it up on Monday. Then I'll have to wait for the email from UPS with the scheduled delivery date.
    I'll have to track this shipment as it requires a signature.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Jack, you are right. Nelson Pass did not design the X1. I believe it was the Vice President of the company and head of engineering that did. It still uses Super Symmetry design and Class A power as the X250. I should have the X1 Friday afternoon. I have been buying a lot of reference CD's and Hybrid SACD's in anticipation of the X1.

I already have 2 guys interested in buying my Van Alstine pre.
    I will be watching for your impressions of the X1 as it will be on my short list.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

From what I understand it is true that Pass himself does not design the preamps as he is so concentrated on power amp designs so there is another designer that does design their preamps but you know that they are designed to complement their amps so I would say that it will be a very good match.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Raven....whatever happen to your Turntable idea? Did you decide not to go into vinyl?

Raven....whatever happen to your Turntable idea? Did you decide not to go into vinyl?
    Frenchmon, it is on the back burner. To do it the way that I want to, it will cost about $3500 for TT, cartridge and phono preamp. Right now I have lots of high quality CD's, XRCD's and Hybrid SACD's. All my LP's are from my college days and not in the best of shape I am sure. So I would have to build a new LP collection. I think that my next upgrade will be a new DAC with XLR or one of the Reference Marantz SACD players if I can get a good deal on a used one. Besides, I am going to all this trouble to get my digital collection to sound its best and I am slowly getting there.

Marantz US | SA-11S3

Marantz US | SA-15S2B Limited

Eventually, I may just go for a reasonable budget TT system. Maybe in the $1500 range. I have a good friend that wants to sell me this TT for about $600.

Google Image Result for http://www.acrylteller.com/WebRoot/Store2/Shops/es122814_acrylteller/4D1D/E1E8/8260/2190/297B/50ED/8960/42E5/4793540_plattenspieler_pro-ject_xperience_acryl_superpack_classic_turntable_a crylteller_acrylupgrade_deltadevice_acry

It's spring suspension system is a design disaster for pro-ject and it was phased out rather quickly. It is a great buy as it sold for more than double that. It has very good carbon tone arm and it sounds good. It is just touchy when you walk by it.

Also a new pair of Maggies may be in the future. The 3.7's look pretty good. I should have bought the 3.6's when my wife told me to get them over the 1.6's. I will just have to see how things sound with the preamp.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Also a new pair of Maggies may be in the future. The 3.7's look pretty good. I should have bought the 3.6's when my wife told me to get them over the 1.6's. I will just have to see how things sound with the preamp.
    Wow Raven it sounds like you have a very cool and understanding wife when it comes to audio. To tell you to get the better and more importantly more expensive speakers is cool. It sounds like my wife when she told me to go ahead and jump on the Pass amp and quit playing around thinking of a mild upgrade just to want to upgrade again within a year. My wife said she would rather me spend more and get what I want rather than spend less several times to get to the level I want to get. I love when a spouse understands your passions and agrees with you following them to the fullest(within reason of course)

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Harley, I do have an understanding wife. She told me to go ahead and buy the matching Pass X1 preamp now instead of waiting. She enjoys listening to music with me. I am a lucky man as my 22 year old son will sit and listen to music with me as well.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Man...I wish I was so lucky to have family members listen to music with me.

That TT may just need a good isolation base and you're set!

Man...I wish I was so lucky to have family members listen to music with me.

That TT may just need a good isolation base and you're set!
    My son will sit down and listen for 2 hours at a time with me. He is a budding audiophile. I gave him the PSB B6's, Maverick Tube Magic Pre/DAC and my CDA 254 digital amp which he swapped out with my A21 amp which I guess I am going to keep for now since my wife suggested I give it to my son. He knows that the Pass gear will all be his some day.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Man I wished when I was 22 my dad would have let me use his high end gear that was not used in his system in mine. But I had to pretty much start from scratch when I was young to build a system. I have always likes audio even from childhood but i could not break into the higher end stuff until I got older and could afford it.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Suspended
    Jack,

Nelson Pass is a member of another forum I belong to and will answer questions if you have any from what I see.

Suspended
    Which site is Pass on that could be a valuable source for us Pass owners?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information