Forum Regular

Paradigm Monitor 9s - Best amp for $750 or less?

I am a newbie so please bear with me, I learn fast

I have a pair of Paradign Monitor 9 speakers (1998 vintage IIRC) powered by a Denon AVR-1700 5ch (70Wx70W) from the same model year. My plan is to use the AVR-1700 for a "theater" room and to buy a 2ch receiver to power the Monitor 9s in the main "listening" area.....[B]however,[B] I am only going to do this if I can get an amp that will sound noticeably better than the Denon.

Here is the question - Can someone suggest a clean and powerful receiver for ~$750 or less to power the Monitor 9s? I play rock, jazz, etc and I like to play it loud! I would also consider buying a power amp and separate tuner but I don't know if it can be done at this price point.

My search has turned up the Harmon Kardon 3480 and the Rotel RX-1052 but there must be many others than I don't know about. Is HK's "120W" and Rotel's "100W" substantially better than the ~8 year old "70W" Denon power I already have?

Thanks for your time

The Outlaw RR2150 and Rotel RA-1062 would be my first picks
    Last edited by elapsed; 09-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.

$750 will still buy a lot of vintage amp\receiver.

being an owner, i wont hesitate to recommend the Luxman R-117, they still pop up on the bay now and then. very clean sound with all the power you'll need for the Paradigm's. i am also partial to The Carver Receiver.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    The Outlaw RR2150 and Rotel RA-1062 would be my first picks
    Nice to see a fellow Canuck! Any tips on where to buy this stuff north of the border?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It is my understanding that the Outlaw is on back-order for ???? and the RA-1062 looks to be the smaller, less powerful brother to the 100Wx2 RX-1052....or am I missing something?

I need an AM/FM tuner, so I either need it built into the receiver or I will have to buy a tuner.

Oops! Didn't mean to post the RA-1062 - I meant the RX-1052.

And here in Vancouver the best Rotel dealer is Hi Fi Centre.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    $750 will still buy a lot of vintage amp\receiver.

being an owner, i wont hesitate to recommend the Luxman R-117, they still pop up on the bay now and then. very clean sound with all the power you'll need for the Paradigm's. i am also partial to The Carver Receiver.
    Back in the late '80s I owned a Luxman CD player and receiver and ended up trading it for some mountain bike parts....Doh!!!

I understand what you are saying about high-quality vintage stuff but I am not nearly knowledgeable in this area to watch for the right used stuff to hit the market so I better stick to new stuff or I might make a $750 mistake

Thread Information