IRG

Yamaha 2 channel receivers

Hi all,
    I'm wanting to know if anyone is familiar with the Yamaha 2 channel receivers, the RX-596 and the RX-777. They are rated at 80 and 100 wpc respectively. It will be used to drive a pair of Energy C-3 - a seemingly easy to drive pair of speakers. I haven't found much info on these receivers, and wanted some feedback on the quality of construction, and of course, sound quality. I use a decent integrated amp right now, and might sell it for something cheaper like this receiver. Plus I would get the capability of am/fm that I don't have now, and would like.

How would this receiver compare to a NAD C-740, or a Denon DRA-395? I would probably mate the receiver to a Yamaha cd player, the 585. Thanks for any help.

A friend of mine purchased the HK 3480 Stereo Receiver. I think it sounds awsome and has some nice specs too. Here is a link

http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...203480&sType=C

IMO that it drives 4ohm speakers with ease.

IRG

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    A friend of mine purchased the HK 3480 Stereo Receiver. I think it sounds awsome and has some nice specs too. Here is a link

http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...203480&sType=C

IMO that it drives 4ohm speakers with ease.
    Thanks for responding. A while back I considered the older version, the 3475 - I hadn't seen this version before. Some of the reviews I read either here or somewhere else, weren't all that flattering about HK, but everyone has an opinion.

Do you know where else to get this model? $450 is more than I want to spend. Usually J&R has good prices, but I don't see this model on their website yet. And the Yamaha receivers I mentioned before, can only be bought in their store, not over the web/phone. Seems kinda silly, since you can buy other yamaha products over the web there. Not like 2 channel receivers are in big demand anymore!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Spec sheets are toilet paper - the faster you learn this the better off you'll be.

You can buy a tuner at any used audio store that will connect to your amp...and it is very likely even 15 year old tuners(from Yamaha no less) will be better than 3cent piece of crap they put in receivers.

You don't get surround sound. Yamaha has a solid reputation for build and OK sound. This is a review of Yamaha's top of the line receiver from a print magazine that doesn't just rave about every produc ever made all the time. http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1014

These are reviews of other receivers. Note the models are older because they are selling a print mag so they just post the older reviews. BUT, the receivers from the usual Names you know re-badge the same amplifier and add features...sound wquality you can be sure has not changed and they will get the same/similar reviews of new models. The 3803 for instance sounds to me no different than the incompetant AVR 3000 of 7 years ago in 2 channel stereo mode. Both are lifeless dreck IMO - and for a LOT of money considering.
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_l...Scrollaction=1

You'll be fine with any of those models with the C-3. Those are not especially difficult speakers to drive, and either of those Yamaha models will have more than enough pop to drive them. One feature that I particularly like with the Yammies is their variable loudness contour. It works great if you're in an apartment and like to listen late at night, cuts back the volume but maintains a slightly higher balance of low and highs during low level listening. Very handy if you ask me.

But, any of those other receivers should also work fine. Around the price range of the RX-777, you're getting closer to the price of two-channel separates, and you should definitely investigate those if you get a chance.

Keep in mind that the specs on two-channel receivers are generally a lot more truthful than what you typically see with multichannel receivers. This is because the demanding FTC output test that's used with monoblock and stereo amps is not required with multichannel receivers. On an all channels driven output test, a stereo receiver will typically exceed its rated output, whereas almost all multichannel receivers cannot deliver their rated wattage to all five, six, or seven channels simultaneously. But, I wouldn't get too caught up in the wattage game. You'll rarely even need ONE WATT of power to get your speakers up to fairly loud levels.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Spec sheets are toilet paper - the faster you learn this the better off you'll be.
    Sorry, but I would guess that 20 lb. white bond hardly makes for a comfortable wipe job on the can! Hey, but if it works for you, then who am to judge? Just don't expect us to believe that we're "better off" knowing this!

Forum Regular
    I am familiar with the RX-596. I have had this receiver for the past two years and have been pretty happy with it. I also auditioned the Denon that you are considering and thought that the Yamaha sounded better. If you are looking for a receiver in the $300 or $400 dollar range, I think that this would be a good choice, although, if you are happy with your current amp, I would not mess with it. I would agree with RGA and get a tuner. There are a bunch of reviews for the RX-596 on this web-site. Good luck!

Forum Regular

Agree with RGA..am familier with the A596

I agree with RGA.The spec sheets don't always tell the whole story.I recently compared the A596 with the NAD C 320bee and the c350.Both these amps although rated lower on the spec sheet than the A596, drove the cadence diva speakers (88db) better and musically the NADs won hands down.The sound was less harsher and at high volumes the distortion was way lesser than the Yamaha.You can always add a tuner.I would say you would be better off with a decent integrated from somebody like NAD or Marantz.

If you're content with two channel, drop most of your $$ on an above average amp, say NAD, and scour the used market for a used tuner. If you don't mind a little exercise like turning a tuning knob and no presets, analog tuners are generally* better in all ways to more modern digital tuners.

* but not always

While I agree that specs are not everything, they are pertinent to help define the list of what you want. Then you should go out and listen to that list and decide what, if any, of these that you want. I noticed in your profile RGA that you don't own a yamaha but you always seem to recommend them. Perhaps your getting kickbacks from them. Hmmmm. Have you ever owned a Yamaha? Anyways, not to get into a childish flaming war, here is a link to a HK 3475 on e-bay. Auction ends in 11 hours. Its direct from harman audio and carries the original manufacturers warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3279

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If you're content with two channel, drop most of your $$ on an above average amp, say NAD, and scour the used market for a used tuner. If you don't mind a little exercise like turning a tuning knob and no presets, analog tuners are generally* better in all ways to more modern digital tuners.

* but not always
    Hi Mark, it's me (Igor), I changed my name with this new look. I tried to register igor but it didn't work for some reason. Oh well.

If you recall, I have a great amp already - a Roksan amp & cd player. I probably won't get rid of it, but it gets me thinking. I have tried to buy a used tuner over ebay (and RGA, there are none to buy locally) but EVERY time, I get outbid at the last moment. So I've given up. I really can't afford a even a used tuner at the moment. So if I sold my Roksan stuff, I could afford a lesser receiver new, and get the tuner to boot. I like the NAD C-740 receiver, and might consider that. But by the time I buy that and a matching cd player (I like them to match) I probably am not saving any money.

I would like to buy the matching Roksan tuner, but I never see them new or used.

In terms of quality, I know any of these receiver won't be as good as what I have. But for my current lifestyle, I don't care that much. I never get to listen to it anyway. My 2 kids usually play stuff, and I get to watch them dance. It is almost to the point that the only reason I even have a stereo is for them, or background noise when I am cleaning the house! If I do ever get to listen to what I want, it is either in the car, or at work. I'm thinkig of getting a MP3 player, just to hear some new stuff.

In a few years, when I have more $$, I will begin upgrading to some serious equipment, and whatever I have now will go in one of the kids bedrooms.

How is life in NJ? I am heading that way tomorrow for a meeting, and then off to Manhattan for an event, and a few meetings Friday morning. Then back to Ithaca. Take care, Ian

Ian! Nice to hear from ya. Thought you dropped off the face of the earth. Gettin' much snow yet?

I feel for ya having to "compromise" your listening habits. Been there... done that... likewhen I gave up my nice, biiiig apartment for a small house and putting the maggies in the closet...

Anyhow, I made do with a Denon 2802 and a set of Athena speakers and a Velo sub. It ain't maggie sound but it does more than satisfy, considering what it is and what I came from.

We should be able to move in another 1 1/2 - 2 years, depending.

If you do think Denon, let me know. I got mine at 6th avenue for $395 on an in-store sale a few months ago. ...List was 799 I think. They always have some amazing loss leaders although since they went with the new, glossy Sunday paper inserts, not quite as many as before. It might be worth a trip here if the price is right.

Say.... Isn't Audio Classics around the corner from ya? No pedestrian tuners there? Someday I'll be truckin' up there for some nice, old, MacIntosh stuff. ...someday...

If you get down here, give me a shout. I'm only a 25 minute train ride (or 50 minute drive)from NYC. Goin' to the show this year?

IRG

Hey Mark!

Hey Mark,
    Yeah, we've had a lot of snow, although much worse north of us - lake effect snow. Poor saps there got 4 feet yesterday alone. This has been a cold, cold month. I like winter, but even I am getting sick of this.

I was in NYC last week - just a quick trip in and out. Cold there too.

I'm getting a nice tax refund back, so no need to sell anything now. Unless it is because of boredom. I'll look into separate tuners now. Audio Classics is somewhere not too far away. But not close enough to just visit.

What show are you referring to, CES? If so, no. I've never been either. It would probably drive me insane. Last thing my credit card needs!

I might upgrade some parts of my system, not sure yet. Mostly I want a bigger TV monitor, but I shouldn't spend the money yet. Maybe a sub for my 2 channel system. But first the tuner. I also need a new fridge, but you can't play a fridge can you?

I get on this site now and then. I just to seem to have much time to respond to posts anymore, or nothing new for me to say. Later dude.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Ian! Nice to hear from ya. Thought you dropped off the face of the earth. Gettin' much snow yet?

I feel for ya having to "compromise" your listening habits. Been there... done that... likewhen I gave up my nice, biiiig apartment for a small house and putting the maggies in the closet...

Anyhow, I made do with a Denon 2802 and a set of Athena speakers and a Velo sub. It ain't maggie sound but it does more than satisfy, considering what it is and what I came from.

We should be able to move in another 1 1/2 - 2 years, depending.

If you do think Denon, let me know. I got mine at 6th avenue for $395 on an in-store sale a few months ago. ...List was 799 I think. They always have some amazing loss leaders although since they went with the new, glossy Sunday paper inserts, not quite as many as before. It might be worth a trip here if the price is right.

Say.... Isn't Audio Classics around the corner from ya? No pedestrian tuners there? Someday I'll be truckin' up there for some nice, old, MacIntosh stuff. ...someday...

If you get down here, give me a shout. I'm only a 25 minute train ride (or 50 minute drive)from NYC. Goin' to the show this year?

Forum Regular

I bought the RX-777 and couldn't be happier!

I bought it for much the same reason as you. I would love to buy something much better. I just can't justify it with the recent purchase of a home and all that it entails. I have listened to some very high end systems. Mark Levinson, B&K, etc. I'm in love with McIntosh. I feel I can appreciate the differences between systems. However, this certainly does not make me an audiophile. I figured I'd buy a 2 channel receiver just for listening to music. Not getting multi-channel so the bang went to sound not processing. I listen to almost all types of music. I listened to Denon and Harmon Kardon and just liked the clarity of the Yamaha best. Some say that Yamaha is bright. I would agree with them. I have some hearing loss in the higher frequencies. Perhaps this is why I considered the other receivers as muddled in the highs. Still set flat my unit is somewhat bright for most of my music. This is easily remedied with a slight adjustment of the treble knob. I have this unit mated to a pair of Klipsch RF-7's. They are big time efficient. If I remember correctly over 103db? I auditioned this unit with a Mirage sub. We turned it off and on and I couldn't justify buying it. The RX-777 produces some prodigious bass through the RF-7's. I am also very impressed with the sound at very low volume levels. I turn on the timer and drift of to classical every night. There may well be better equipment at this price. But for what I have I couldn't be happier.

Forum Regular

Get one of the Yamaha surround receivers

Not only do they sound better than the stereo pieces (they make more of them, economies of scale, and really did some update work a couple of years ago which the stereo pieces didn't get), you can get the RXV540 which lists for $400 for a good price here real fast since it should be just about ready to go closeout.

The h/k makes me a bit nervous due to past reliability issues. Sounds nice though, but I don't think the stereo receivers of the past few years from them have been too keen on 4 ohm loads. Then again, the C3 is a really easy drive, and one of my most often recommended speakers. I like the way they sound, and they image very well too. Nobody who got them from my recommendation has complained yet...they all still love them.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular

Cool I own Yamaha AX-596 and I couldn't be happier

I have been using a Yamaha AX-596 for about 6 months now and I couldnt be happier with it's performance. At 100 W/c - it delivers.

I saw this forum entry which said that it didnt sound as warm and loud as equivalent NAD in the upper limits of it's output - but then it's not everyday that you push it that far - and the everyday usage sound limits will keep you more happy than you can imagine with a well balanced sound and ofcourse - the superb build quality - A+B Speaker support, Input voltage selector as per various international requirements and lots more.

Though I wont just keep telling you the Pros - the drawback I notice the most is - the Integrated Preamp - is not a completely isolated unit. If you were to connect it to an external reciever and put the output mode to CD/DVD - you will still get a substantial crosstalk between the components at high volume levels.

Rest is for you to decide. I feel - for the price you pay - you couldn't get better and more durable a product.

Forum Regular

Wink To: MSRANCE

If I turn on "Hells Bells", I can only turn it up half way in a 45x20 room. It's flat CRANKIN"!!! The dynamics range is awesome, and my ears ring afterwards. It has an unbelieveable soundstage with the speakers about 12 ft apart. The bass deflects my diaphragm. I get small adrenal rushes. Even the hair on the back of my neck stands up. This isn't even a particularly well engineered recording either. What more could you ask for from this system at this price???

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    While I agree that specs are not everything, they are pertinent to help define the list of what you want. Then you should go out and listen to that list and decide what, if any, of these that you want. I noticed in your profile RGA that you don't own a yamaha but you always seem to recommend them. Perhaps your getting kickbacks from them. Hmmmm. Have you ever owned a Yamaha? Anyways, not to get into a childish flaming war, here is a link to a HK 3475 on e-bay. Auction ends in 11 hours. Its direct from harman audio and carries the original manufacturers warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3279
    I would hardly say I'm ecommending Yamaha...the review I posted was of the top of the line Yammie and the review was hardly flattering.

I owned a Yamaha tuner which was pretty decent for the $20.00 I paid second hand - it retailed new for $300.00. For $300.00 it amazes me Yamaha could have sold one. Even at $20.00 I ended up trading it in...though I did manage to get $90.00 for it - not bad.

Used tuners are in any Cash COverters and most pawn shops or even used record shops...dirt cheap.

Get a little integrated from NAD, Cambridge Audio or Arcam.

You could probably get an Arcam Delta 290(Stereophile Class B 1997 - for what it's worth to you) on the used market for $350.00 and a tuner for $30.00 and there $380.00 and I'll take this over ANY integrated or 2 channel new receiver from Yamaha, Denon, NAD, Cambridge Audio, and even some of the new more expensive Arcam's.

Used amplifiers in my view is the way to go. May as well get the best amp you can for your dollar.

Forum Regular

Cool musbdeaf : Lift my spirits higher ! :)

Quote Originally Posted by musbdeaf
    If I turn on "Hells Bells", I can only turn it up half way in a 45x20 room. It's flat CRANKIN"!!! The dynamics range is awesome, and my ears ring afterwards. It has an unbelieveable soundstage with the speakers about 12 ft apart. The bass deflects my diaphragm. I get small adrenal rushes. Even the hair on the back of my neck stands up. This isn't even a particularly well engineered recording either. What more could you ask for from this system at this price???
    That was some morale booster from you - musbdeaf. Everytime i get online to some audiophile forum - I find people critisising Yamaha amps - but then there are exceptions like you - who still make me feel my decision was a waste of some hard earned cash!

I do feel it is loud enough for an average man - and more than adequate for my 300Sq ft room. And I am happy enough with the lack of distortion upto almost 80% of the output levels - lets say 2 o clock position on the volume dial. But then - that component cross talk does annoy me at the preamp stage - I find it often enough - if I accidentally leave the sattelite reciever on - and turn on the CD volume - when the CD goes silent you can hear the rock from the Sattelite reciever playing somewhere in the high frequency range.

Do you have any such issues?

AR Newbie Registered Member

I purchased the 596 receiver about 3-4 years ago and was stunned at how good it sounded. I have it hooked up in a second system with some mid 80's vintage Boston Ac. A150s. If you have easy to drive speakers, I think it is hard to beat. Construction is extremely solid, cd direct and tone defeat help as well. This was actually the first buy that proved to me how much difference an amp could make in a system.

Forum Regular

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by msrance
    That was some morale booster from you - musbdeaf. Everytime i get online to some audiophile forum - I find people critisising Yamaha amps - but then there are exceptions like you - who still make me feel my decision was a waste of some hard earned cash!

I do feel it is loud enough for an average man - and more than adequate for my 300Sq ft room. And I am happy enough with the lack of distortion upto almost 80% of the output levels - lets say 2 o clock position on the volume dial. But then - that component cross talk does annoy me at the preamp stage - I find it often enough - if I accidentally leave the sattelite reciever on - and turn on the CD volume - when the CD goes silent you can hear the rock from the Sattelite reciever playing somewhere in the high frequency range.

Do you have any such issues?
    I guess I don't get the crosstalk issues because the only thing I have connected is a cd player which in that case is what I'm playing. I checked the fm crosstalk as was described on this site some time ago. Killed the cd player and turned up volume listening for fm play. Didn't hear any. If I turn my RX-777 up to 2 o clock no relative distortion. Past that yes it builds. Mind you I'm not listening to jazz or classical at those volume levels. Most rock that I would play at those levels has it's own distortion, so it's hard for me to discern the differences. Besides half way is ear ringing territory for me. From my understanding higher wattage is more aptly used for dynamic changes. Maybe slightly more correct would be an amps ability to reproduce volume changes at a given wattage or output level. The RX-777 is rated @ 140 watts in this catagory. I guess that's a 40 watt dynamic capability??? (Who knows how true this rating is?) Anyway I'm very happy with the capabilities of this unit. A good percentage of the rock I listen to have large dynamic ranges. Alan Parsons, Van Halen, Moody Blues, just to name a few. And they're pretty divergent in musical qualities too. Yet I don't see any jump up and grab you vulgarities in sound reproduction at high volume levels. On the other hand classical at much lower levels lacks some of this dynamic range as compared to a Mark Levinson sytem and the Mcintosh system I listened to. $25,000+++ vs. $1800 total system. DUH no ****!

Generally I'm not happy listening in "pure direct" or "cd direct" modes. I do as I said adjust the treble -1 and usually the bass +1. In a smaller room flat may be best???

As far as the tuner is concerned, I have a full size TV(FM) antennae in the attic facing SW towards Baltimore.(about 25 miles as the crow flies) I have no problems whatsoever picking up DC (80 miles) and Philly (65miles) strong. Very minor occasional atmospheric interferences. No fading or crosstalk here either. What more do I need?

Again I'm no electrical engineer or audiophile. What others say about seperates makes sense. I got this system on closeout so I think I made a reasonable purchase. If I could afford it I would have a McIntosh seperate system no doubt. I can't. I was just window shopping when I came across this deal. I'm glad I did! Against seperates I like only picking up two pieces when it comes time to vacuum and dust. That will change when I pick up a turntable. Against audiophillic quality equipment. I'm glad I haven't listened enough to become accustomed to it. With the small sampling that I have been exposed to I could easily not want to turn back.

After all is said I am indeed thoroughly pleased with what I have.
    Last edited by musbdeaf; 02-20-2004 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Regular

Talking musbdeaf : I sure will be deaf soon - if I dont decrease the SPL

Quote Originally Posted by musbdeaf
    I don't get the crosstalk issues
    If I turn my RX-777 up to 2 o clock no relative distortion. Past that yes it builds.
    Most rock that I would play at those levels has it's own distortion, so it's hard for me to discern the differences. Besides half way is ear ringing territory for me.
    From my understanding higher wattage is more aptly used for dynamic changes. The RX-777 is rated @ 140 watts in this catagory. I guess that's a 40 watt dynamic capability??? (Who knows how true this rating is?)
    A good percentage of the rock I listen to have large dynamic ranges. Alan Parsons, Van Halen, Moody Blues, just to name a few.
    On the other hand classical at much lower levels lacks some of this dynamic range as compared to a Mark Levinson sytem and the Mcintosh system I listened to. $25,000+++ vs. $1800 total system. DUH no ****!
    Generally I'm not happy listening in "pure direct" or "cd direct" modes. I do as I said adjust the treble -1 and usually the bass +1. In a smaller room flat may be best???
    After all is said I am indeed thoroughly pleased with what I have.

musbdeaf - unless you start listening to your music at lower decibels - its likely you might just end up with your nick as reality ! Anyways, good for you that you dont get this crosstalk between components at high volumes.

The same experience here with the AX-596, distortion starts creeping in at after 2'o clock position and there after rises rather steeply. As far as the added 40 watt dynamic capability your system has in excess of mine - I am sure if yours isnt rated true - then so would be mine and we end up with the same amount of difference in capabilities anyways!

Alright, so this one sentence of yours clears out a lot of grey areas for me - I didnt know that rock has its inherent distortion beyond a point. You sure do listen to some good rock. I too started out with the Floyds and Parsons and LedZeps but over a period got more into heavy metal and progressive stuff. Just coz I listen to Megadeth, Blink 182, Linkin Park and likes - doesnt stop me from owning a copy of every Pink Floyd album ever released commercially. My only problem is that the place I live in - most people consider rock to be noise - and wouldnt even let me hang around if they got down to discussing music!

I wouldnt comment on the classical music - probably the only classical orchestra I ever heard is the Philharmonic that plays with Metallica in the 'S & M' Album. Sometimes I do feel inclined to get myself a few Bach's or Mozart's - just for the heck of it.

What do you feel is the ideal tone settings for a 300 sq ft room and music of the nature i just described? I never seem to be happy with my choice of tone settings, I alter them every few days and still they seem inadequate. Keeping it 'Pure Direct/Direct CD' makes the whole deal sound somewhat boomy - specially with my pair of DIY speakers (No, not me) with a pair of 8" woofers each.

I too feel pretty happy with my deal - the AX-596 cost me close to equivalent of 400$(mind you thats a big deal when converted to Indian currency) - and boy does it sound better than what it cost ! Specially when you've been brought up on Sony and Philips - its one hell of a leap. But then I wouldn't dream of upgrading to anything but a decent (?Marantz) Tube amp at 200WpC even in the future.

I guess I too need to keep the volume dial within some confines - both my listening SPLs and music choice dont supplement my profession's stereotype - I must try and change. If I ever get a late night call from some critical patient or I just get disgusted with all the reading in the early hrs of the morning - I turn up the rock - so that even my nieghbour's ears must be ringing. Would it be disturbing and irking my neighbours? but then who cares!
    Wonder where you fall when you "Fall From Grace"

Thread Information