AR Newbie Registered Member

new onkyo m282 amplifier

go anew onkyo 282 amp going to an integra dtr 5.3 receiver with no preouts . wheree do i run my rca cable to the receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by michwill36
    go anew onkyo 282 amp going to an integra dtr 5.3 receiver with no preouts . wheree do i run my rca cable to the receiver?

ummm, hi - welcome. I'm not too sure what you are trying to say. from the look of the back of the integra dtr5.3 the only suggestion I can think of would be the Zone 2 out. But it seems to be the receiver has speaker outs already...why did you get the 282?

i wanted more power nah zone 2 wont work .

there is a way to rig it witout preouts. thats what im asking.

there is a way to rig it witout preouts. thats what im asking.
    Sure. Connect to tape output jacks. The only issue is that you lose the ability to control the gain! If you want to separate the preamp section from the power amp section, you must - well separate the preamp from the power amp via pre out / main in jacks.

rw

The tape out jacks will work but unless you will not have level control to the amp. You could put a line driver or preamp of some sort in between the tape out jacks and the amp. But it will complicate things when you go to turn the volume up on your system. You will basically have to turn up your main volume and the line driver volume every time you change volume which to me would get annoying.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

i sent the amp back .my receiverhas got plenty of power to run 6 speakers. i never really fooled around with my receiver. iheard everybody talking about get an amp get an amp! i get the damn thing and felt like a fool 4 getting it. ive got jamo x530 series x5 sub paradigm center and surrounds.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    i sent the amp back .my receiverhas got plenty of power to run 6 speakers. i never really fooled around with my receiver. iheard everybody talking about get an amp get an amp! i get the damn thing and felt like a fool 4 getting it. ive got jamo x530 series x5 sub paradigm center and surrounds.
    Sorry, no offense intended, but get a real power amp. That Onkyo 282 is just about the same as they put in their receivers. Plus it is specified at less power at 6 ohms than at 8 ohms, this is a sign of a very weak amp. Never buy any separate amp that only lists 8 and 6 ohm power, but not 4 ohms, regardless what impedance rating the speaker has. Any decent power amp should be stable into 4 ohms and have significantly more power into 4 ohms than 6 ohms and then into 8 ohms.

Here is an example of several real two channel power amps and also a 5 channel power amp (I own the XPA-5) that will make a huge difference from what you have in your receiver. Note the actual weight of these amps. Your Integra receiver is rated at 80 watts per channel but that is not with all channels driven. The actual output into 8 ohms at rated distortion with five channels driven simultaneoulsy is probably about 40-50 watts. You need a receiver with RCA outs to connect to an amp. Then you will understand what they meant when they said get a separate amp.

None of this is to be negative about your system. But you can't just add an inexpensive amp and expect any improvement. The Emotiva amps listed are direct to buyer and this is why the low prices.

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

(note, all the specified power ratings are with all channels driven simultaneoulsy at rated power)

I agree with roadrunner, you can get a lot better amp than the Onkyo. The main reason people hook outboard amps to their receivers is to get more clean,higher dynamic power to run their speakers better. For the price of the Onkyo you could pick up a Emotiva amp or even go look at the used market and pick up an Adcom or Rotel or a number of different brands that are better than the amps in any receiver. Integra is a good receiver and it is Onkyo's higher end receiver and it will probably run your speakers fine but if you find yourself needing more power I would look elswhere for a amp because I really don't think that the Onkyo amp you had would have added anything to the system.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

the 282 will sound the same, good call on sending it back. the onk you have is not that bad at all. should rock

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I think the Onkyo amps like the 282 are primarily designed to power a second zone, not provide additional power for your main theater.

Thread Information