• 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
    Ajani
    New Class D Audio Complete Amplifiers
    Class D Audio now has some new custom cases for their amps:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...6/NewImage.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...6/ClassD-2.jpg

Sadly, the prices for the complete amps has gone up as a result, but at least the finished product now truly looks well... finished.

Class D Audio Complete Amplifiers

$175 Class D amp--120 wpc
  • 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM
    Ajani
  • 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
    Ajani
  • 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
    LeRoy
    I have never heard of these guys and the price is not extreme. Nice pics of the gear!
  • 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
    blackraven
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    I have never heard of these guys and the price is not extreme. Nice pics of the gear!

Here is a nice short read about Class D Audio-

$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

I own a Kit and Feanor has one too. A very nice amp for the money.
  • 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM
    Feanor
    Yes, they done a slick job. I like that it's got both balanced + single ended inputs plus a selector switch. Also the trim pot controls are nice, (though some owners jump the pots with resistors or straight wires).

The case and these features easily justify the cost of the completed amp vs. the raw kit.

Class D Audio has spiffed up their website a lot but unfortunately info is still often sketchy. Tom, the head honcho, is pretty good about answering email questions though.
  • 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
    harley .guy07
    They look real good and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one to see how good they really are and to retire my Adcom to rear channel duty. My Dynaudio's don't really half to have more power but I know that they would perform better with more power and the fact that the class d audio amps are good priced and I have heard that they are one heck of an amp even compared to high end amps at several thousand dollars and that to me says that they might be something to look at for sure.
  • 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Yes, they done a slick job. I like that it's got both balanced + single ended inputs plus a selector switch. Also the trim pot controls are nice, (though some owners jump the pots with resistors or straight wires).

The case and these features easily justify the cost of the completed amp vs. the raw kit.

Class D Audio has spiffed up their website a lot but unfortunately info is still often sketchy. Tom, the head honcho, is pretty good about answering email questions though.

Tom really needs to work on the website. He needs info on the SDS440 in the amp section. I have no idea if the SDS470 still exists and if it does then why does the SDS258 still exist? Since the 440 and 470 deliver 220 and 250 watts into 8 ohms (double into 4) respectively, while SDS258 only delivers 250 into 8 (no doubling), so I'm not sure why they still make the 258.
  • 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM
    Ajani
  • 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
    Ajani
    Here's something for Feanor and Blackraven:

The custom case for your existing Class D amps (including all parts except wires) for $220:

http://classdaudio.com/media/catalog...case-parts.jpg

Class D Audio CUSTOM SDS ENCLOSURE WITH ALL COMPONENTS
  • 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
    Ajani
  • 03-02-2012, 03:42 PM
    blackraven
    It looks tempting but I think that I will just buy a Par Metal case for $80. I will give it some thought though.
  • 03-02-2012, 03:49 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    It looks tempting but I think that I will just buy a Par Metal case for $80. I will give it some thought though.

The Par Metal is cheaper but don't overlook that the CDA case comes with connectors and is drilled and stencilled.
  • 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM
    Ajani
    BR - if you just want the case without the connectors, it's available for $135:

Class D Audio Custom Chassis for CDA amplifier & Kits - Class D Amp Kits - Complete Amplifiers
  • 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM
    Ajani
  • 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM
    Ajani
    So the SDS-470 is still available:

Delivers 300 watts @ 8 and 600 @ 4. Given the current naming convention, Tom should have called the complete amp the SDS-600.

Class D Audio SDS-470C Custom Class D Amplifier - Complete Amplifiers

Sadly, the price has gone up $100 from $590 (when it debuted in the old case) to $695 in the new case (Tom did note when it appeared that the price was going to go up - so part of that difference is due to introductory pricing and the remainder due to the new case).

Still $700 for the SDS-470 is still a very good price for a complete amplifier with those specs. One of the first user reviews for the 470 in the case is out:

Class D Audio SDS-470 full review
  • 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM
    harley .guy07
    I bought the 440 complete amp and did not even know the 470 existed because it was not listed when I was on the site but really the 440 had the right amount of power for my needs and I absolutely love my 440 since I got it a few days ago and so far it has been one of the best amps I have heard so I don't think I will miss the couple hundred more watts the 470 puts out but I will say I am more than impressed with them so far.
  • 03-10-2012, 12:13 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I bought the 440 complete amp and did not even know the 470 existed because it was not listed when I was on the site but really the 440 had the right amount of power for my needs and I absolutely love my 440 since I got it a few days ago and so far it has been one of the best amps I have heard so I don't think I will miss the couple hundred more watts the 470 puts out but I will say I am more than impressed with them so far.

How in the world did I miss your 1st impressions of the 440 in your thread??? I was about to ask why you hadn't updated us until this post, then I saw your thread with the update from 2 days ago... :mad2:

Anyway, Tom really needs to update his site. Potential customers should know all the choices available. He needs to put spec pages for the SDS-440 and 470 amplifiers (not the complete amps, just the amp boards). There is just too much confusion about what is available or not.

Glad to know you have such a positive impression of the 440 so far. I look forward to your detailed report and especially pics!
  • 03-10-2012, 12:17 PM
    LeRoy
    Congrats on the new arrivals
    Quote:

The only experience I have with digital amps is with the original T-Amp and also listened to Bel Canto's latest digital amp offering. How would you compare the SQ of you 440 to other digital amps you may have heard before?
  • 03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Congrats, Harley, and give us a full report soon. But do allow for some burn-in; I didn't hear much difference in case of my SDS-258, but I think there was some.

The Class D Audio website is puzzling for it's lack of information & consistency. What exactly IS the SDS-440? Presently there is only the complete amp list. There is no such raw amp module nor any such kit, at least not at the moment. Have a peek inside the case and let us know.
  • 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Congrats, Harley, and give us a full report soon. But do allow for some burn-in; I didn't hear much difference in case of my SDS-258, but I think there was some.

The Class D Audio website is puzzling for it's lack of information & consistency. What exactly IS the SDS-440? Presently there is only the complete amp list. There is no such raw amp module nor any such kit, at least not at the moment. Have a peek inside the case and let us know.

It's supposed to be a new amp board that puts out 220 into 8 and 440 into 4 ohms.
  • 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
    blackraven
    I think that I am going to have to buy an SDS-440 or 470 and compare it to my Parasound. I have the CDA-254 and it does some things better and some things worse than the Parasound. I am hoping that the SDS amps are a big improvement.
  • 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

I think that I am going to have to buy an SDS-440 or 470 and compare it to my Parasound. I have the CDA-254 and it does some things better and some things worse than the Parasound. I am hoping that the SDS amps are a big improvement.

I hope you do. I'm already looking forward to your review!

The SDS is supposed to be a real step up from the CDA line.
  • 03-11-2012, 04:27 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

This will be a great comparison. :2:
  • 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
    blackraven
    It is going to be a few months before I can buy it, probably during the summer unless the tax man is good to me.