• 02-11-2004, 07:40 AM
    poneal
    Need Xpert Amp Person Help
    I am trying to get my mixer/amp to drive a subwoofer. The mixer/amp specs/manual can be found at:

http://aa.peavey.com/modularmixeramps/irm8150.cfm

I have tried connecting the subwoofer preout of my receiver to the mixer/amp channel one using a 1/4" jack (I have a RCA to 1/4" mono adapter). The manual says that the mixer/amp 1/4" input is a line level jack that has a line input of 13K ohms. I posted a message on parts express and someone mentioned I may need a direct box. Can someone help me out with the connection or tell me what I need to do in order to get it to work? Thanks, Paul.
  • 02-11-2004, 03:21 PM
    poneal
    I Found the Problem
    The problem was in the amp that I purchased on e-bay. Somethings wrong with it, it comes on but doesnt output the sound (except a loud hum). After a couple of hours switching out speakers, etc., I decided to dig up an old integrated amp I had in the garage. I'm surprised it actually powered up. I connected it up and what do you know--sound! Since its only rated for 8-16ohm and outputs only 100wpc it didn't sound outstanding but it sounded ok (my sub is rated for 4ohm). Most importantly it worked. So now, I need to purchase a good external subwoofer amp. I have been looking at the outlaw audio M200 single channel amp. Any comments on this amp or suggestions of good sub amps? Thanks again. Paul
  • 02-11-2004, 03:54 PM
    pelly3s
    The M200 is an amazing amp. Any of the Outlaw stuff is great, and priced better than most stuff out there. In that price range I don't think I could recommend another amp to you.

Just to let you know a direct box wouldn't have fixed your problem. A direct box allows you to bring a line level signal down to mic level.

A couple other recommendations though.. a crown CE-2000 would give you plenty of power in bridge mono. If you dont mind spending way too much money a Crown K-2 will supply you with enough power to run whatever you want
  • 02-12-2004, 01:09 PM
    poneal
    I didn't take a look at the K2 but I assume you mean that I could wire all my speakers in parallel/seriers to come out with a 8 or 4 ohm load and this would provide enough power to power them all?
  • 02-12-2004, 04:49 PM
    pelly3s
    it's 2500 watts in bridge mono at 4 ohms. it's a very full sound from the amp but the list price is like 1700 or something like that