Forum Regular

should i get a rotel rb 1070?

I think I'll try to get one of these, seems like the right amp for the right price, good reviews. I'm going to put it on my yamaha rxv650 and power the fronts with it. Do I need a pre-amp or will the yammy be all I need? Does anybody have a better idea or any advice would be much apreciated. thanks.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mr. Budget...
    I think I told you awhile back about getting caught with the "bug", that never ending quest to improve your system...I think you caught it!

I have the RA-1070, which is the integrate amp version of the RB...I love it, but I also have an older RB-980 Rotel Power amp I bought used....I think for your purposes you would be much better off to buy a used Rotel or Adcom or something on ebay or audiogon.com than dropping all that money on a new one. Amps last for decades if treated well and don't really crap out with age.
    If you still want more after adding a used amp, go ahead, you can sell the used on, get 90% of your money back, and be no worse off...I built up my HT this way...way cheaper, more effective use of money IMO...I'd have to spend a fortune on brand new amps to get the same performance.

Forum Regular
    I'm finding the rxv650 has more power than I thought, nevertheless I'm determined to get an amp. You're saying they don't depreciate much, that just solidifies my decision to get one. Thanks again kexodusc. I actually found one new it's called ati at 1502 and it boasts 150wx2 for 449 new at a dealer called onecall...is this a good one? Oh also, why would you get an integrated over a regular amp or vice versa? thanks

Forum Regular
    Hi Mr Budget, I've listened to a Rotel new amp RSX-1056 that costs a lot (2000 euro) and just after that I listened to a little stereo Nad amp C320 that just costs 500 euro. Rotel's sound was just as bad as my Yamaha RX-V640 (in stereo) and Nad's was terrific. I think there's just something great about Nad's sound. It was more dynamic and warmer. I was going to the the same as you and when I listened to these two amps in the store I didn't need to think about it twice. You should give a try to Nad's C272 before making your choice. I've never heard RB-1070 but I had planned to buy it because I've got B&W and I thought it goes together. A friend of mine told me that new Rotel amps weren't as good as before and now I've listened to one I think he's right. Listen to both of them at the same place and you'll make your choice. I've also read a lot of good reviews about the RB-1070 but I prefered Nad's sound.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    NAD makes some good equipment, I characterize their sound as being on the warm end...I have 2 NAD's integrateds that are 20 years old and still going strong, and I've owned a few other power amps. The C-320Bee is one amp I would avoid like the plague after all the problems users have been reporting with it...it seems that quality control on this model only is out the window, some sound fine, some sound terrible...I've heard a few that sounded okay, but there's just been too many reports of them being inconsistent. Search the forums here on that amp and you'll see a list of issues.

The other NAD's are made in the traditional NAD way, and apparently are fine...

My Rotel sounded much better than the C372 I tried, but I tend to prefer more detail in my playback, and warm sounding amps aren't always a good match with the my towers.

Picking amps is like picking cars, everyone likes something a bit different. Shopping is half the fun.

Forum Regular
    Actually that reminds me to go to the local brack store and try them out on friday I have to be around that area. Thanks.

Thread Information