AR Newbie Registered Member

NAD C355 BEE - Connection Options

At the moment I run a Cambridge 640C & Firestone Fubar II dac into the NAD, then this to Quad speakers via the Speaker A output. I have my headamps connected to tapeout 1 (Shanling PH300) and tapeout 2 (firestone little country). From here I listen to either AKG k701s or Beyer dt250 (80 ohm).

However, I'm thinking of bypassing the NAD preamp section and using the PH300 or Little Country as the preamp instead (to make the connections between source and the headamps a lot shorter - both headamps have a preamp out). Is this kind of thing advisable? Not sure about impedance matching.

The other thing is that the PH300 has two inputs (CD & AUX), but the Little Country has only one. I guess this setup would render one of the amps useless (ie not connected).

Anyone have some suggestions as to the best setup?

Cheers - much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bleoberis
    However, I'm thinking of bypassing the NAD preamp section and using the PH300 or Little Country as the preamp instead (to make the connections between source and the headamps a lot shorter - both headamps have a preamp out). Is this kind of thing advisable? Not sure about impedance matching.
    Since I've found audible improvements with bypassing superfluous line stages in my systems, I would say that it is advisable. The DAC has sufficient drive (100 ohm / 2 volt output) to drive an amp directly so long as the headamps can control gain. But you cannot simply bypass the NAD pre in place. You must break the connection between the sections using the main-in/pre-out jacks. And wire it differently.

The greater question is why you choose to have what are three overlapping products. The headphone amps are intended for situations (usually less space) where you do not otherwise have a full integrated amp to use.

rw

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks RW -- I actually bought the headphone amps prior to the integrated amp -- I wasn't driving speakers at that stage. However now that I'm in a position to compare the headphone output sections of the headphone amps and the NAD, I notice a definite difference in SQ between the dedicated headamps and the NAD.

But you are correct, if I make these changes then at least one of these products does become superfluous (probably the Little Country amp as it has only one input).

Thanks!

Thread Information