Forum Regular

Smile MiniWatt's new sibling

APPJ is the Chinese company who produced the highly acclaimed MiniWatt SET which took the audio world by storm when introduced in 2008. Here is another of their flea amps which has the same power rating and should partner well with 90+ db speakers. Wouldn't surprise me if an offer around $100 was accepted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smallest-Mini-Tu...487?pt=Vintage

Looks cool and it would be a inexpensive solution for a office system or something to power some efficient bookshelf speakers in one of your other rooms for lower volume music.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    Anjani,

The review started off very positive and then at the end went in another direction. Not sure what to make of it? The 6moons review of the MW was much more favorable.

I bet one could buy it shipped for $150 and it would drive those big AN wide banders to ear bleed levels.

As I write I'm listening to my MW drive the Omens and loving every minute of it.

Ajani
    I'm torn between either the MiniWatt or a Class D amp (possibly like the DIY one Feanor has) for the second system....

Forum Regular
    Ajani,

The MW is more detailed but lacks the more powerful presentation of TK2050 based chip amps. I'm crazy about my MW but I also enjoy the Sure Class D amp. Both are excellent with FR speakers and I often interchange them but it seems I go back to the MW. The tripath amps have a warm tube like sound and in my experience were more detailed than the high dollar Classe integraded amp I sold on ebay.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Ajani,

The MW is more detailed but lacks the more powerful presentation of TK2050 based chip amps. I'm crazy about my MW but I also enjoy the Sure Class D amp. Both are excellent with FR speakers and I often interchange them but it seems I go back to the MW. The tripath amps have a warm tube like sound and in my experience were more detailed than the high dollar Classe integraded amp I sold on ebay.
    I'm really tempted by the MW, but truth is that a Class D would be far more practicable in my situation... With the MW, when I eventually have to change tubes it will mean ordering from overseas (as no tubes are available locally) and paying more for the shipping than the actual price of the tubes + import duties... Also the MW's power output will limit me to only using it with HE speakers....

Even though the plan is to use the amp with my open baffle project, that doesn't mean I don't want to try it out with other speakers...

Forum Regular
    You've probably read this giant thread. Love my Sure but I'll probably try one of these as well.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

Ajani
    You've probably read this giant thread. Love my Sure but I'll probably try one of these as well.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0
    Yep, read it... I really am tempted to try it out with the Audio Nirvana Drivers... Though I'm torn about DIY... As I have to factor in the cost of getting tools (as I only own screwdrivers), and rework if I botch something up on my first attempt...

Ajani
    I'm considering this Class D amp:

http://store.virtueaudio.com/product...wo.2-pbf-1.htm

Virtue Audio two.2 or one.2

Zu Audio is selling them with the Omens as one of their 13 days of Xmas combo deals:

http://www.zuaudio.com/holiday/

Forum Regular
    My friend has a Virtue with upgraded power supply and in my opinion it's over priced. I would expect the CDA or SDS kits to be superior and for less money.

Ajani
    My friend has a Virtue with upgraded power supply and in my opinion it's over priced. I would expect the CDA or SDS kits to be superior and for less money.
    Scratch that off the list... Thanks!

Thread Information