Forum Regular

McIntosch integrated amliers

I just want to get a general idea on how good or bad are Mcintosch Integrated ampliers when compared to other similar high-end products. How about their sound quality and product reliability. I find their "blue metres" quite appealing and interesting. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Charm Thai™
    I auditioned several Mac integrateds (newer models) a couple years ago and I can say they are pretty damn pleasing. In the end I went with a Mac amp/preamp setup, not because i wasn't satisfied with the integrated but because i knew I'd get hit with the upgrade bug sooner than later.

Don't let the blue meters influence your purchase. You can get other amps with blue meters (*cough* Emotiva *cough*) and they'll turn your eardrums to putty. The meters are for show and do not automatically mean quality.

First I'd definitely say go with one that has autoformers. The difference to my ear was distinguishable. I think most people would say that but in my case I agreed 100%. The 4ohm/8ohm taps do make a sonic difference with some speakers without a doubt. My focus was on the MA6600. I didn't notice a difference between it and the MA6900 during my auditions and I did not need all the equalization of the 6900.

Reliability is top notch and customer service is wonderful. The aluminum sides on my amp were damaged during shipping and replacements were sent out promptly. Other than that i haven't had any issues.

As far as sound quality goes I find them right up my alley. The best way I can describe it is that I can listen for hours and not want to stop. I love the way I can really push them and their signature doesn't change at all. This is all very subjective so there's no reason you shouldn't take a listen yourself.

What kind of speakers will you be using?

Quote Originally Posted by ken88
    I just want to get a general idea on how good or bad are Mcintosch Integrated ampliers when compared to other similar high-end products. How about their sound quality and product reliability. I find their "blue metres" quite appealing and interesting. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    TheHill's advice is consistent with everything I've heard about Mac integrateds. I think AR member, Basite, has a slightly older model and loves it.

Buying used is always an option and can save you a lot of money, (if you care about that). Generally solid-state Macs, including integrates, made in the last dozen years or so are considered better sounding than earlier models. You can find most McIntosh models described on Brener's Site, HERE, where years of production, manuals, etc. are available in most cases.

Check out Audiogon for used Mac integrateds. HERE is an example of an MA6600 currently for sale; a gorgeous autoformer model with the blue meters ...

Forum Regular
    Thank you all for your valuable input. TheHills, I have a pair of Totem Sttaf which I use as my main front speakers. Which Mcintosh integrated amplifier you think would be a good match for the Sttaf? I am still looking at several brands and try to get as much info as possible. Does Mc make any receivers? How would you describe the sound of Mc, is it more on the musical side, warm, neutral, harsh, etc? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ken88
    Thank you all for your valuable input. TheHills, I have a pair of Totem Sttaf which I use as my main front speakers. Which Mcintosh integrated amplifier you think would be a good match for the Sttaf? I am still looking at several brands and try to get as much info as possible. Does Mc make any receivers? How would you describe the sound of Mc, is it more on the musical side, warm, neutral, harsh, etc? Thanks.

Hi, Mc & totem would make a nice combo...

Feanor suggested a model, the MA6600, which would be a good match for the Staff. it will serve you for years to come too...

it also has an option for a HD/FM/AM tuner, which you can buy afterwards & install yourself (which is, well, easy...) and then you have a receiver. This is the only "receiver" they make, but IMHO, the best receiver you'll ever find

I have a Mcintosh MA6400, which is a slightly older model (it's mid nineties), and I love it. It's a non-autoformer type, but does have the Mc house sound. I'd describe the Mc sound as a warmish sound, very very inviting, not rolled off by any means, but this tube-like sound. It's not the fastest sounding, but very pleasant to listen to, and slightly more forgiving than an accuphase or mark levinson or the kind. It's not boomy, wooly and dull sounding though like a "warm" (really warm) sounding amp. So there you go, I hope that gives you an idea...

oh, and go for it, by all means...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a home theatre system too, a 5.1 surround. I spent about 70%/30% time listening to music and watching videos. Would the Mc MA6600 be able to meet the HT needs? Thank you.

Suspended
    If the integrated had a theater bypass feature it would be an easy integration into a HT set up, providing the receiver had preamp outputs.

Mac does have a certain sound and if possible give it a listen before commiting. Bobsticks also uses Mac.

Thread Information