Forum Regular

Marantz PM 7200 , Help me !!!

I'm using this Marantz pm7200 intergrated amp and i would like to know is this amp stable at 4 ohm?

The menu only mention 8 ohm - 95 watts, but it never mention about 4 ohm. So i would like to know is this amp workable and stable in 4 ohm operation ?

Forum Regular
    Pls help me !!!

Why not ask Marantz !!!

According to the spec sheet no. Some amps are but dont list it in the specs.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Aki1980
    I'm using this Marantz pm7200 intergrated amp and i would like to know is this amp stable at 4 ohm?

The menu only mention 8 ohm - 95 watts, but it never mention about 4 ohm. So i would like to know is this amp workable and stable in 4 ohm operation ?

SURE but
    8ohm is best
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)

Forum Regular
    I guess you may need to shoot a mail to Marantz customer service about this. It may or may not work if the literature is vague about this. Look near the speaker terminals. The back panel usually comes printed with the recommended resistance of the speakers to be used. If 4ohms is there, don’t worry. Budget amps these days are not too happy with low impedance speakers.

nightflier
    The problem with the PM7200 is the heat, even with 8 ohm speakers (warm enough to be too hot to touch). If you're going to put 4 ohm speakers on it, you'll probably exceed the manufacturer's limits for heat dissipation. My guess is that this is why Marantz did not list 4 ohm compatibility.

I think that if you run the amp in A/B mode and keep the volume low, your should be fine. If on the other hand, you plan to do a Class A Mahler concert night at your house on a warm summer evening, you might have some problems. At the very least, keep the amp out of a cabinet/rack and check the temp regularly.

Thread Information