Forum Regular

Looking for a good SS to combine with my old Quadral qlx155 speaker

Hi,

My onkyo SR 501 used to combine with my old quadral speaker qlx-155.( I know I should throw the speaker away but it still perform well in my 16ft x 16ft working room). This combination was not bad but the bass, and mid-bass wasn't that good.

Until a month ago, I sold the onkyo to my friend. I tried the denon avr 1803 (amp) but the sound are too artifical during bass and playing the french Horn (etc intrument). Could someone suggest a some amps for me please. I am looking for SS amp price around the range of $ 300 -$ 400 AUD. Thank you

A decent mid-fi amp can be found at:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...202000&sType=C

These can be found at Harman's online ebay store for around $220. They provide 45x4wpc or in bridged mode 2x100wpc. Harman is known for good bass extension and warm sound. Here is a link on ebay for a remanufactured PA2000 with full manufacturer's warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14973

Forum Regular
    thx

the price range should be $300-$4XXUSD

check ebay for B&K ST140's. I sold mine a few months back for $220 and it's a terrific amp. A beautifully warm and lush sound that works great with instrumental music and especially female vocals. Great bass response with real authority. It can be a tad veiled and rolls off the highs at the fringes (think vintage tube amps), but at least it doesn't display the harshness usually associated with ss amps. I'm not familiar with your speaks but it sounds like you'd prefer a fuller, richer sound. The easiest way is to step away from the normal Japanese suspects (Denon, Sony, Onkyo, etc.). BTW, B&K's are built like tanks and mine lasted 15 years without a hitch and it was off for a total of probably 30 days during all those years.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Witon
    Hi,

My onkyo SR 501 used to combine with my old quadral speaker qlx-155.( I know I should throw the speaker away but it still perform well in my 16ft x 16ft working room). This combination was not bad but the bass, and mid-bass wasn't that good.

Until a month ago, I sold the onkyo to my friend. I tried the denon avr 1803 (amp) but the sound are too artifical during bass and playing the french Horn (etc intrument). Could someone suggest a some amps for me please. I am looking for SS amp price around the range of $ 300 -$ 400 AUD. Thank you
    Why do you think you have an amp problem and not a speaker problem? Speakers are the number 1 issue of sound with your room and recording quality equally important.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Talking speaker of memory

the speakers are from my grand pa. My familiy had a very wonderful time with it. So I want to push the speaker to it's limit. I do understand SS amp won't reach the ultimate prefection of it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Witon
    the speakers are from my grand pa. My familiy had a very wonderful time with it. So I want to push the speaker to it's limit. I do understand SS amp won't reach the ultimate prefection of it.
    I don't want to dissapoint you but it is not the fault of the amps, unless your speakers are very insensitive, that is verly low sound output with 1 watts of power, or th eimpedance is such that you amp is just not capable of driving it.
    But, to improve the mids and bass, you need better speakers, not better amps, most likely.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for everyone's advice. That old speaker is just for "lesiure" and maybe i put my hopes too high , but as I said before trying "to push the speaker to its limit".

I maybe going out to buy another set of speakers for my dinning room.

Again thx for the advice, more suggestions do welcome.

Thread Information