Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Krell to service

My Krell S-300i is making noise in the right channel. The noise continues after the amp is in standby mode. The noise is more than a slight hiss that some amps have. When I talked to Krell this morning the service tech said I had better send it to them. I took the opportunity to mention my first S-300i had to be exchanged due to a bad switch on the front panel.

Well at least I saved the packaging. I also still have the Onkyo A9555. My nephews were in town for the Holidays and I asked them to help clean out the walk-in closet and I was going to give them the Onkyo, Ascend speakers and a Marantz cd player. They found better things to do and I am now happy they did.

Well no Krell for several weeks. I think I will use the RS6's since they are more efficient and easier to drive than the OML1's. I hope they get it fixed and this is the last problem I have. The good news is the 5 year warranty so other than the UPS shipping charges on a 43 pound amp it will not cost me anything.

The bad news is that I will worry about the reliability of the amp. When I had 2 issues with a Thorens table I ended up buying the Rega to have something dependable. Oh well maybe this problem was coming on gradually and the amp will sound even better after repair.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    Sorry to hear about the Krell. I really hope they fix it quickly and it sounds better than ever.

It's always disappointing when audio gear stops working, especially products that aren't exactly cheap. I really wish that increases in the price of gear would also directly relate to increases in reliability. When my $800 Emotiva Amp crapped out, I opted to get rid of it (as it was always going to be a temporary amp anyway), but if it had been an $8K Levinson I'd have no choice but to get it repaired...

Suspended
    Sorry to hear about your loss, if only temporary.

Oddly enough, I have been staring at that unit at some length as I try to decide what I would do when I need to downsize, which may not be that long from now since I can't really take care of my house and property with my back issues.

I got to hear one many years ago when the first one was released and I was buying sub $500 components and cannot remember how it sounded. I do remember that every larger Krell amp I heard, I liked.

Hope it comes back fast!

Thanks guys and at least I will not be without music. I may miss it more after the Onkyo takes it's place. Last night while playing some vinyl I rested a hand on the Krell while cleaning the stylus. I noticed the right side was not running as warm as the left. I am glad I realized there was a problem before anything worse happened.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Sorry to hear about that JM. Having to box that thing up and ship it out really stinks but at least you have an available backup and you are still under warranty (whew). I'd check a local dealer and see if they can take care of the legwork for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    When my $800 Emotiva Amp crapped out...
    The absolute hilariousness of this still has not worn off.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    The absolute hilariousness of this still has not worn off.
    Always happy to entertain you...

How is the McIntosh doing? I heard you're planning to ditch it for an Ice amp...

Always happy to entertain you...

How is the McIntosh doing? I heard you're planning to ditch it for an Ice amp...

It has been a long time since I have listened to the Onkyo which is a class D amp. It used to power the OML1's before I bought the Krell. I have never heard it with the RS6's. Should be an evening of packing up the Krell and installing the A-9555.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    It has been a long time since I have listened to the Onkyo which is a class D amp. It used to power the OML1's before I bought the Krell. I have never heard it with the RS6's. Should be an evening of packing up the Krell and installing the A-9555.
    Looking forward to your impressions...

Oh hell the Krell must have been slowly deteriorating in some way. The Onkyo is sounding incredible. I only have the first disc but the sound is sweet! When I first hooked up the Krell I thought it was excellent. The RS6's are sounding so fine. I think all my cable and speaker switching was due to the change in sound of the int. amp. I knew I was not happy with something and now I know the amp was developing a problem. I expect big things when it comes back. Oh and my intitial impression of the Onkyo is they can take their time with the Krell and fix it right.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Oh hell the Krell must have been slowly deteriorating in some way. The Onkyo is sounding incredible. I only have the first disc but the sound is sweet! When I first hooked up the Krell I thought it was excellent. The RS6's are sounding so fine. I think all my cable and speaker switching was due to the change in sound of the int. amp. I knew I was not happy with something and now I know the amp was developing a problem. I expect big things when it comes back. Oh and my intitial impression of the Onkyo is they can take their time with the Krell and fix it right.
    Are you using the anti-cables with the RS6 & Onkyo?

Are you using the anti-cables with the RS6 & Onkyo?
    No the binding posts will not accept the spades so I am back to the AQ Slates.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    When you get the Krell back you might want to consider setting up a 2nd system with the Onkyo, RS6, CD5001 and Slates... Might be fun to have to 2 different set-ups to play around with depending on your mood...

When you get the Krell back you might want to consider setting up a 2nd system with the Onkyo, RS6, CD5001 and Slates... Might be fun to have to 2 different set-ups to play around with depending on your mood...

Might make a nice bedroom system. Of course the only bedroom I would have room is the dog's room.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Onkyo is not bad but it is not a Krell. The bass is not there with the Onkyo. Not just in depth but in the fullness of the bass. The sound with the Onkyo is more two dimensional than the full bodied sounds of the Krell. Depth of soundstage with the Krell is so much better. I cannot wait for my RA number and to get it to UPS. The Onkyo is not bad but it is not a Krell.

Funny how something different is exciting at first but the longer the listen the more you hear. The more you hear the more you want the better componenet in the system. In fairness to the Onkyo it had not been used for any length of time for over two years. The sound may improve but not a Krell.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Onkyo has warmed up a little in sound since it has played all day. A very good match for the RS6's. Nicely detailed sound as long as I am using the AlphaCore TQ2 IC's. The DNM Resons sure can smooth and grey up the sound.

The A-9555 and RS6's would make a great party system. The Onkyo has enough drive and a little agression to the sound which is making Lucinda Williams live album more exciting. Time to put down the air guitar and make dinner.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well I called Krell service Wednesday and they told me to go online and fill out the form requesting a return authorization number. I did that and was wondering when I should expect that number. I tried calling and was only able to leave a message. I thought I would have had the number quickly. Any ideas how long this might take. I am anxious to send it out and get it back.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Well I called Krell service Wednesday and they told me to go online and fill out the form requesting a return authorization number. I did that and was wondering when I should expect that number. I tried calling and was only able to leave a message. I thought I would have had the number quickly. Any ideas how long this might take. I am anxious to send it out and get it back.
    No idea how long it should take, but over 2 days seems ridiculous.

Its a good thing you had the A-9555. I would have withdrawals if I did not have my music when I wanted it.

I hate to worry about any of my toys and when things will be back to normal.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Unfortunately it is over the holidays when it can be slow for companies to respond often hiring temp staff to replace their vacationing regular staff - if they're even open.

It is interesting when I talk to dealer friends which lines they eventually drop based on returns. Dealers hate products that fail because while no company is immune the dealer is usually the one on the front line that has to deal with the complaints. Some outfits are very bad with dealers let alone customers. Other companies have those 20 year warranties - they fail just as often as other stuff but they deal with it quickly and effectively while others drag their feet. Commercial Electronics dropped a big name receiver line for poor customer service and slow repair times or not paying the dealers for their repair work.

The other big issue most people never consider is replacement parts. Many speaker makers and some CD and amp makers make a product and sell it. Great. But 10 years later and 3 model changes later the speaker company no longer makes the same tweeters or woofers or transformer or uses the same transport mechanism or laser reader.

So sure it's out of warranty buy you expect to be able to repair a 10 year old high end hi-fi item. You don't expect to have to throw your $7,000 speaker in the garbage bin and buy a new pair. And this happens a fair bit more than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Unfortunately it is over the holidays when it can be slow for companies to respond often hiring temp staff to replace their vacationing regular staff - if they're even open.

It is interesting when I talk to dealer friends which lines they eventually drop based on returns. Dealers hate products that fail because while no company is immune the dealer is usually the one on the front line that has to deal with the complaints. Some outfits are very bad with dealers let alone customers. Other companies have those 20 year warranties - they fail just as often as other stuff but they deal with it quickly and effectively while others drag their feet. Commercial Electronics dropped a big name receiver line for poor customer service and slow repair times or not paying the dealers for their repair work.

The other big issue most people never consider is replacement parts. Many speaker makers and some CD and amp makers make a product and sell it. Great. But 10 years later and 3 model changes later the speaker company no longer makes the same tweeters or woofers or transformer or uses the same transport mechanism or laser reader.

So sure it's out of warranty buy you expect to be able to repair a 10 year old high end hi-fi item. You don't expect to have to throw your $7,000 speaker in the garbage bin and buy a new pair. And this happens a fair bit more than people think.

This must not have been written to make me feel better. The amp is still in production so I am not worried about parts availability. I just want to get it on it's way.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Its a good thing you had the A-9555. I would have withdrawals if I did not have my music when I wanted it.

I hate to worry about any of my toys and when things will be back to normal.

I am the same way with my toys. I had to send a Canon film camera in for repairs shortly after purchasing it but the camera came back fully functional. The repair was done so well you would never have known the camera had been repaired. Oh and it is time to send my Swiss chronometer in for a cleaning and reset and I will sweat that one out.

I hope they find the source of the problem and truly fix the Krell. I purchased it as the last int. amp I might ever need. The Thorens ttable that I had repaired twice came back with more wrong each time.

I now wish I kept the original amp that only had a bad switch on the faceplate but performed perfectly by remote. This was a big purchase for me at my income level as a caregiver so when I have had two problems now I feel a little foolish. Thought I was buying quality. The A-9555 I bought discounted for $500 has never failed to perform.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    This was a big purchase for me at my income level as a caregiver so when I have had two problems now I feel a little foolish. Thought I was buying quality. The A-9555 I bought discounted for $500 has never failed to perform.

I feel your pain. Ideally a $2.5K amp should run flawlessly until whenever you decide to stop using it.

Sadly, that is the problem with buying luxury gear. No guarantee of better reliability than the cheaper stuff.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    John Micheal

The problem I think is that higher end audio to some degree is a bit like a sports car - there are more problems but the performance makes up for it.

I reviewed the Audio Note CD 2.1 and it uses what I deem to be a finnicky transport mechanism - it's the Philips L1210 - it's used in the Bryston and Sim Audio machines so it's regarded as a good transport by these makers.

Still I am more confident in my old Cambridge Audio CD 6 which was a Sanyo I believe. The AN player sounds vastly better but on build quality I don't think it's really any better - at least not from the outside - the AN uses better internals.

It's hard to sacrifice sound quality for better build quality though. I could have bought Bryston Separates with 20 year warranties on both over the Audio Note OTO Phono SE which comes with a 1 year warranty. But to me the former was completely unlistenable in direct comparison so I could own it for 20 years worry free but I would rather listen to it when it was turned off. Or roll the dice that superior parts quality in the latter would not need the protection of the warranty in the first place.

Ask me again in 14 years if I made the right choice. But on sound quality the choice was clear IMO.

I think too many people look at the outer case and physical impressiveness of the box - few look inside to see the parts quality. Partly why people like DIY - is because it's all about the parts. Of course they also have to consider the design.

I have heard a number of kits that cost the same as retail products - so in theory these DIY products should destroy a manufactured product for the same money - and that is not the case at least not all the time. There are things done at the big plants that home users can't do and those things can often be the difference maker. The overall design is critical not just the driver material or the cabinet material.

Ajani
    John Micheal

The problem I think is that higher end audio to some degree is a bit like a sports car - there are more problems but the performance makes up for it.
    I agree with the idea that there is an increase in performance, but I don't agree that the performance makes up for the lack of reliability. Would you buy a $5K amp that makes every amp you've tried sound like crap, but comes with a 1 year warranty and is in notorious for falling apart in a year? (If I had loads of expendable income then sure, but with a middle class income that's not exactly pocket change). Many audiophiles do like JM and save their pennies for something really special, hoping that it will last them.

I have heard a number of kits that cost the same as retail products - so in theory these DIY products should destroy a manufactured product for the same money - and that is not the case at least not all the time. There are things done at the big plants that home users can't do and those things can often be the difference maker. The overall design is critical not just the driver material or the cabinet material.
    Design is the most important aspect IMO. I could place the most expensive drivers and crossover I can afford in my old Technics 3 way cabinet, but that doesn't guarantee it will sound good (or even better than the original product). It's why I'm not convinced of the whole modder's market. Many of these proposed mods just seem like someone looked at the spec sheet of the product and came up with a random list of more expensive parts to replace the existing ones.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I agree with the idea that there is an increase in performance, but I don't agree that the performance makes up for the lack of reliability. Would you buy a $5K amp that makes every amp you've tried sound like crap, but comes with a 1 year warranty and is in notorious for falling apart in a year? (If I had loads of expendable income then sure, but with a middle class income that's not exactly pocket change). Many audiophiles do like JM and save their pennies for something really special, hoping that it will last them.
    I am not excusing the Krell - When you tout yourself as the creme de la creme of the Solid State world then IMO you can't have amps with faulty fuses or early failure - even at their entry level points. CD players failing is one thing since lots of moving parts - no 20 year warranty on a Bryston CD player you'll notice - you get 5 years (the average life of a CD player is 7 years so while it's better than most companies it's still not all that special - my Cambridge Audio I bought in 1996 and has been flawless since day one - and it was used as a demo for over a year and was turned on every day the shop was open. It's also had a period where it sat for two years unused so it has been put through the ringer. And that from what was considered entry level high end at the time. But it was an overbuilt unit in it's day from the parts used. The transport mechanism was the same one as their disc magic transport which was the reason I bought it and I liked it better than the Rega Planet. That said Cambridge Audio had problems with other products for a time.

Problems can occur so you hope that at the least the customer service will help out. Obviously you don't want something that sounds great but has an awful failure rate but it happens.

Design is the most important aspect IMO. I could place the most expensive drivers and crossover I can afford in my old Technics 3 way cabinet, but that doesn't guarantee it will sound good (or even better than the original product). It's why I'm not convinced of the whole modder's market. Many of these proposed mods just seem like someone looked at the spec sheet of the product and came up with a random list of more expensive parts to replace the existing ones.
    I am not principally opposed to modifications but I agree - who knows what the modder's ability is - I knew a fellow who ran a silver cable company - he had silver cables had his own silk screen made up - and was a web designer so his site looked great. The guy had no metallurgy background or electronics background - he had a bench and soldering gun to attach connectors and that was it. Sold a lot of cables.

Even if you don't put any stock into cable differences at the very least a guy like Kondo San had a degree in metallurgy and was the chief engineer at Sony for many years designing microphones - so at least there is some expertise to the enterprise not just buying a reel of silver and putting sexy skins on them.

And my beef with the modder thing is why did you buy the "broken" product in the first place? If it didn't sound great the it has problems - so now you don't trust the guys who designed and built your amp speakers etc but you will trust the guy modding gear out of his garage?

Sure I get mods like Techo-weight for Rega tone arms - Rega is building to a price point and didn't want to drive the price up. Fair enough. Although to me it would make more sense for Rega to simply offer a P2 + or P2SE or P3 SE with the better tone arm bearing. Perhaps they didn't think it would be profitable enough.

Still from the consumer end of things a P3 with all the upgrades is now up in price to the level of an AN TT1 stock which will just clobber the maxed out P3. So to me the modding has to be added to the price of the original product - just as subwoofers need to be added to the cost of the main speakers and as a speaker system price versus another speaker that already has enough bass and perhaps much better mids and highs.

Lastly, to go to your point about the design - speakers are more than just drivers. And sorry to use AN as an example but they're basically the only company doing it - you can buy an AN E or J or K with the same cabinets and the same drivers and get a very different level of sound. The AN E kit I auditioned is quite nice but no home builder has the equipment that the AN factory has when actually pair matching the drivers to the actual cabinet or the computers and matching process to get the left and right speaker to be pair matched to each other - Then again their competitors don't either. But for this kind of speaker that relies on the cabinet resonances to be part of the sound you can't frak that up. The drivers, cabinets, crossover parts, wires are all the same but the factory product is IMO miles better. The magic of the thing just isn't really there.

The problem I see is people focus on the "cool driver" and don't factor in that the woofer actually needs to match that tweeter. One of the things that impresses me most about the little speaker I am currently reviewing is that I am not hearing the ribbon sound or the ribbon woofer gap that I hear with virtually all of these kinds of speakers. They have done a truly remarkable job of getting these two drivers to sound coherent. The woofer is small paper woofer 5inch or so.

Having said all that - DIY by Parts Express and some others is fine if their design is solid - and when paying a couple hundred it's hard to really go wrong.

To me the advantage of DIY would be in the Single driver Open baffle arena simply because you basically put all the money into the driver and some sort of box to hold the thing up at the right height not to tip over. Presuming you like the OB sound this makes sense. I like the sound and I like the purity in the midrange of the single drivers I have heard. Downside has been dynamics and the ability to pressurize a room - bass and treble response (though I can live with these a little truncated. Depends on the overall price versus what else can be had. Also like their ability to be driven with a SET. Simpler usually sounds better IME.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information